navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I change an oil fired Rayburn for a Wood-burner with back burner?  (Read 7700 times)
Bellzy

« on: September 12, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »

At the moment I have an oil fired Rayburn (another version of a money pit) and I am thinking it could be changed for an wood-burner with back boiler as I have a free supply of wood.
I don't have any rads running off the Rayburn, it only does the hot water.

Can this be done?
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:46:39 PM »

Hi Bellzy and welcome,

so long as the flue is large enough I see no reason why not, but, and some would disagree, line it if at all possible, even if the present chimney is in good condition. Have a good look at your Rayburn, it may actually be a solid fuel one that has been converted to oil anyway, as many were and it is possible that you may be able to convert it back.

I'm sure that someone who knows more will be along shortly  Grin

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clivejo
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:33:12 PM »

I converted a Rayburn Royal from oil (wick) back to solid fuel.  The parts (griddle, pan, bricks etc) are hard to source but it was definitely the best thing to do.  The only bad or negative point is the lack of heat it puts into the boiler and rads.  Saying that it is probably because we have a large heat store (DHW cylinder) and 12 rads in the house !!

However, the ability to cook in the oven and hot plate (constant source of boiling water for cups of tea) far outweighs that small negative point. I would strongly recommend you fully look into converting it, if its do-able!

How is the current central heating system currently fed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: