navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap 58cc chainsaw..  (Read 30167 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »

the thing is paul,
                these chainsaws, the throwaway one i refer to come with a 3yr guarantee,i was one of the first to buy an aldi chainsaw and it is still going,so at throwaway prices these little saws seem to me to be a genuine bargain, a few years ago aldi had them for sale and i bought 2 for 220euros,one of them is still in the box,then last week there was one in lydl for 99euros and she bough me that and it is still in the box.
   some of them come with spare chains,they all come with a tool kit and 2stroke.any that i bought had the latest up to date specs such as proper guard and brake which worked perfect.they also had anti-vibration built into them and apart from the noise they are very easy to work with,you do not end up with your hands and arms numb.having had the experience of leaving my stihl in for repair and getting the bill for it,it is a no brainer.
                                                                                                                                                           biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 10:14:02 PM »

Sage words as always Biff, well that and your Irish luck  Grin Every cheap Chinese clone that I've ever bought has turned to scrap in weeks and the guarantees disappear with the 'tink' in the white van or eBayer that sold them. We're 100 miles from an Aldi and a helicopter from the hospital so I tend to go for the long term and something I can fix and buy spares for in twenty years time.

It obviously works for you and millions more so perhaps it's me that's got it wrong  wackoold

Cheers, Paul 

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
martin

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »

There was a stack of 'em in my local Lidl last week - at least you get a 2 year guarantee with them....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:00:02 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
camillitech

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »

Irrespective of who makes them, where they come from and how much they cost does it not seem, on the balance of probability that selling so many in what are basically grocers shops is a recipe for  sh*tfan:How many of these potential lethal weapons are going to end up in the hands of 'muppets'  Shocked

Why does everyone (including myself) think they can use a chainsaw  banghead I'm not complaining cos I'm not big on elfin safety and the 'nanny state' but it does make you wonder how many clowns are going to end up in A&E, 500 Stihl or 85 Aldi they'll both sever an artery just as well  Grin 

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Mostie

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 01:39:12 AM »

How many of these potential lethal weapons are going to end up in the hands of 'muppets'     Grin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:41:59 AM by Mostie » Logged

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
Justme

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 09:16:22 AM »

How many of these potential lethal weapons are going to end up in the hands of 'muppets'     Grin

Yet you tend to only hear about accidents involving them happening to pro's not home users. I guess they buy one & then scare the cr*p out of themselves & dont use it again.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
camillitech

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »

Yet you tend to only hear about accidents involving them happening to pro's not home users. I guess they buy one & then scare the Oh, how I wish it was better out of themselves & dont use it again.

I suspect that that's about to change, then there will be a whole pile of 'no win no fee' snakes waiting in the wings followed by more 'nanny state' legislation and you'll not be able to buy one without a certificate  Roll Eyes

Cheers, Paul

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »

i once bought a batch of jenlong 5kw geni,s.they were very cheap and before i even started one of them i pulled the filter and low oil stop switch of one to give to a friend,i discovered that the filter was blocked with plumbers tape(wound round) and that some of the parts on the engine had been deliberatly damaged.this was coming straight out of the box.i immediatly rang my supplier and met him the following saturday in letterkenny,i swopped over the damaged geni,s and from that day to this day we are none the wiser as to what was going on.however ,,only i pulled out the filter and low oil stop switch to help a friend there would have been a lot of bother.
     the 3.2kw version of this machine retails for about 375.00 (keystart)plus carriage.they are cheap but very reliable.the engines go forever and the geni,s are good for 5 yrs continious.they are also easy on diesel,the downside is that they are very noisy and blow the exhaust off after a year. but if you live out in the sticks they are handy to have about.the trottle can be set to what ever rev that suits you and the pullstart can be remover and a belt dropped over the pulley to drive or start bigger engines within minutes.
 there is no waste with these little units,you can recycle every part of these apart from the alt,which i never looked at.
                                                                                                            biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
DaveSnafu

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »

The gennys I have are called Suntom, they use a yanmar 186 clone engine in an enclosed frame on wheels, key start, interestingly the same engine is used to convert enfields to diesel, they can be had cheap, easy to work on, anyone fancy a diesel trials iron ?, the alternator is PMA, and it says in the manual...is good for missile defense systems ! (thats what it says).
With regards to health and safety, I don,t particularly like any power tools, the circular saw gives me the willys, its the noise it makes, RRRRIIIPPPP, I am advised to buy trousers, boots, helmet and goggles, if I could afford all that gear I would just pay someone to do my wooding for me.
Before chainsaws I had bowsaws, now theres a good way to get hurt, forcing a blunt bowsaw through wood is a good way to chop your fingers off.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 11:15:12 AM »

I've been using a chainsaw for about 10 years.  I treat it with a deal of respect - and have the NPTC certificate to use it. Zero injuries.

I also have the deep scars on my left index finger from using a bow saw with too little care (A&E no stitches just tape). I can hardly ever pick up a Stanley knife with out cutting myself (A&E 5 stitches last time it was serious).

But a chainsaw is quite capable of giving you a trip to the undertaker rather than A&E. I don't like the idea of cheap ones being available from supermarkets at all.

Volunteer moderator, retired electrician, ex-smallholder
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »

good footware is important,steel towcaps and thick leather,
       then there is the noise, earplugs or muffs are a must. noise can confuse and one has only to put on the ear muffs to realise that thinking clearly is much easier with the noise reduced.my old man had a giant homelite.it was a complete animal and when it jammed it would whip you into the tree, when he got to old to use it he offerent it to me but i declined. it had no brake,,no guard,,and the vibration would rattle the socks of your feet.lethal.
                                                                                                          biff

wookey

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »

Biff, do you know when your shift/caps key is getting fixed? It's been a while now.

(and toecaps)

Wookey
camillitech

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »

Biff, do you know when your shift/caps key is getting fixed? It's been a while now.

(and toecaps)

Probably when MR GUS STOPS SHOUTING and when I stop talking cr4p  hysteria

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »

it wont be long now wookey,
                          there is a meeting in brussels and when they make the decision to block the sprouts and grant the grant,then we are almost there.i have just polished my toe caps,they are a dull grey colour and difficult to shine but bear with us we are doing our best. tomatosplat
                                                                                                                                                   biff

Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »

quality only hurts once! saying that I get cheap second hand ones and fix them. I've seen plenty of dangerous faults on secondhand saws, some people just dont realise how dangerous these things are whistlie 

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: