navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap 58cc chainsaw..  (Read 29607 times)
Contadino

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 04:51:26 AM »

I don't like the idea of cheap ones being available from supermarkets at all.

^ This. A bloke I know bought a Mcculloch from the local supermarket. He couldn't get it started so took it back. The only help they could offer was the suggestion that he bought another on the off-chance that it would be better. I showed him how to get it going, and the chain snapped the second time he used it. Lord only knows how he managed to not injure/kill himself. I feel responsible, so nowadays I refuse to help anyone with these crappy Chinese machines.

BTW, last week someone I know was using the metal blade on his Chinese brushcutter and the whole head fell to bits, sending sharp metal spinning stuff flying in all directions, so this isn't just related to chainsaws.
camillitech

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »

This just about sums up everything cheap that I've bought from China, and I use the word cheap because much good stuff does emanate from there.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/peace-in-the-valley/ It's was a brand new Quadzilla bought by a mate, a mere snip at 3K, half the price of a Honda. My mate is one of these that frequents auctions and loves a bargain. A fact evident by the pile of dead and rusting generators outside his remote croft house  Shocked it took me 15 years to convince him to buy a Lister  Roll Eyes

This fine and shiny machine came with everything, even a toolkit, plastic bag and manual that was almost in good English, that's the clutch after only 241 miles  sh*tfan since then it has had a battery, ignition switch, the rear wheel has almost fallen off http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/what-to-do-with-lobster/ the fuel pump diaphragm has failed and now at 640 miles it has trashed yet another 240 clutch. This time the bits of clutch came through the cheap plastic casing and could have injured the driver  Shocked

Compare that to the Honda that I own that has been in the sea, in a peat bog, struck by lightning and abused beyond belief, at ten years old it is still going strong. My mates Yamaha has dragged two lorry loads of building materials and much much more along a rough track to renovate and old schoolhouse and at six years old has never missed a beat.

As Stuart says, quality only hurts once, you can keep buying this pap and throwing it in the bin but me I prefer my 40 year old Lister, 30 year old Honda water pump, 30 year old Tondu brushcutter, 30 year old Partner stonecutter, 28 year old Hitachi 38mm demolition pick and drill, 25 year old Land Rover,20 year old saws and 10 year old Honda.

I maintain my kit well and use it hard, it pays in the long run, especially when you're 100 miles from anywhere  Grin

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 09:44:50 AM »

then there is the other side of the story,
                                you will all agree that there are people that you know,who you would never sell anything to because they have no idea how to handle as much as a hammer.you get heavy handed clueless people who smash everything they put there hand to.on the other hand you know people who turn the clock on their diesel cars twice and yet there is no sign of wear.they dont hang around but they drive the motor the way it was intended.
          if i see a chainsaw in lydl or aldi for 99euros,i know it comes with a good guarantee and i trust their decision to work with their chinese supplier. as i said before i found their quality exellent.i know there is really poor quality chinese items for sale but i do my level best to avoid that kind of rubbish.
     remember if proven had been a chinese company there would be some stink.
                                                                                                    biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »

Biff, I have bought 2 sanders from Aldi and a big heavy SDS drill. All of them broke within a few days of normal use. Was a pain to try and get my money back as they just wanted to give me another one.
powercraft...avoid!

I usually always buy good quality gear, but money was a bit tight and i was a case of getting a tool to do a specific job, which after it was done it would just be taking up shelf space.

ended up with a Bosch sander and a makita sds, both of which cost about 3/4 times more and have been through hell with out any bother.
In fact the makita is so nice to work with we use it quite a lot, as i really need to get round to replacing the batteries on my 10years old bosch battery sds; which also has never put a foot wrong.

Another point about the cheap Chinese chainsaws is parts, in the future you WILL need:
A carb service kit, drive sprocket, guide bars and maybe a spring for the chain brake, clutch or band. Aldi or lidl dont stock em they dont even stock chain files. So eventually you end up with something that gets more and more dangerous to use.

I stopped some guy up the street, making a meal of cutting up some sticks, the loose chain was blunt and discoloured with heat, (no chain oil ether), the guide bar worn horribly on one side, and his only PPE, goggles it came with. Think he said it was a lidl one. I borrowed him my chop saw, i didn't want to sharpen it. think the chain was ready to snap.

To be fair he had been to two local dealers, but they wouldn't touch it.

the dealer I know is the same, he mostly does lawnmowers. But wont touch Chinese ones ether - impossible to get parts. Which he admits is a shame because he has several people inquire a day about repairs. Although he then shows them his selection of new and used Honda units.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:27:42 AM by Stuart » Logged

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
camillitech

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 10:40:03 AM »

Biff, I have bought 2 sanders from Aldi and a big heavy SDS drill. All of them broke within a few days of normal use. Was a pain to try and get my money back as they just wanted to give me another one.
powercraft...avoid!

This made me laugh Stuart, I had one of those Kinzo sanders, it vibrated so much that I got 'white wrist' hysteria and the power lead was so stiff that the vibrations used to transmit down the cord to the plug and every couple of hours you had to tighten up the wires inside the plug to stop it arcing and stopping  hysteria I also borrowed one of those SDS hammer drills purely because the 'K taper to SDS adapter' (Silverline's finest Chinese offering) on my Hitachi had broken, it was like using a toy drill compared to the Japanese tool  Grin

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »

i use makita myself.i got a christmas pressie of twin cordless with the red batts(li,on).i have to say they are the best cordless i have ever used.the batts last for ages and the power is remarkable for such a small handy drill.i would use these for stripping down a ups or a geni,screwing down floors,etc. however,,dont be surprised if they come from  china.
       i come from a time when they would not buy japanese goods,radios,recorders little sockets sets, etc. i also remember the first russian venture onto the automobile market in the uk.the moskovitch, these were the laughing stock of europe but what we did not know was that they were being sabotaged on entry and brake parts were deliberatly being sent astray by the people on this side.like the job done on the skoda cars.however time moved on and the engineering proved itself.
    there is good and bad on every field.the chinese are in a rush to win every market they can.it is up to us to see that they do not get away with selling rubbish so that in time things will improve.incredibly ,china is proping up the world finances looking in return for a share of the european market which it will automatically get in 2016.there is nothing to worry about,forget about the scaremongering,all we have to do is get on with our own work,learning to give value for money and getting our act together.the chinese system is as such,that it has to keep expanding or else it will fall in on itself.they are holding their breath for fear of their "chinese spring"which will come without a doubt. our markets are flooded with chinese goods,,all we have to do is use the good stuff and avoid the bad stuff,  simple.
 in 2008 the chinese were shipping containers to the uk free of charge.if you bought the full container they shipped for free.i think that is finished now.there will come a time in the near future when their advantages will not be so great.their masses will wake up,like the japanese did and then their goods will become more like the price of our own,if not dearer.
   meanwhile,one of the oldest and most sucessfull military nations on the planet is on the move and we have been so blind and unhelpfull that they are ready to blow up in our face. we will be looking to china for more than cheap good before this one is over.
                                                                                                           biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »

And I've told my son to study Mandarin at uni Biff, but there's no getting away from the fact the most of the cheap stuff you buy at this moment in time is cr4p. Whatever the reason, whether it's greedy western importers demanding corners cut to reduce cost or the Chinese getting their own back for the particularly unpleasant way the west treated them in the nineteenth century http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars. Trying to sabotage our economy  with cheap cr4p just like WE wrecked theirs with cheap crack (well opium)  Grin

Me I like to buy something once and look after it rather than buy a cheap one and one for spares  Grin

The Chinese are indeed on the way to becoming the next super power just like American's, Blighty, and the Roman's, that is the way of the world. I am however not going to help them by buying cr4p that is destined for the landfill.

Cheers, Paul

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 01:57:16 PM »

the chances of china being a superpower are pretty slim.
                            superpowers get to their peak by nobbing other nation before they get going and then keeping then in servile service.they do not give handouts or intrest free loans to a country like the usa or offer to bankroll the united states of europe, no i was refering to turkey as one of the oldest and most sucessfull military powers on the planet.turkey has always been a force to be reconed with and has always been underestimated,,i mean always,,by the russians, french, british and just about everyother country in the commonwealth.no other nation could hand out beating like turkey could,quietly,patiently and without rancour.
        the present niggling over the gas rights of the coast of cyprus is very worrying.they do not,as a general rule huff and puff like this,so there is something naughty coming down the track.china would be one of the few nations who could influence turkeys way of thinking.lets hope it all calms down soon.
                                                                                                                    biff

SteveH

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »

I'm quite close to this subject, in a geographic sense & would comment in depth, but it's a bit OT for the subject of this topic.

In short there is lots going on in these parts:-

North Africa:- Egypt, Libya, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Palestine...etc & all the attendant religion issues... & Turkey are asking who's on who's side...

Cyprus, Greece & Turkey over boarders & the island of Cyprus... Lots of interesting caffufle about oil & gas exploration too.

Turkey & EU membership... South of Cyprus has it, but the Turkish north doesn't.

Then there's the economic position...

I'm living in interesting times... as the Chinese curse goes.....

Preveli, South Crete.
camillitech

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »

And don't get me started on the subject of Turkish cr4p http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/the-flat-battery-exploding-gun-and-minor-fire/ if the Turks make their arms as good as this one we've nought to fear sh*tfan:I should have bought a Mossberg or Berretta  hysteria Had I had an over active safety gland I could have sued their ar5e off but actually I thought it was quite funny.

Basically in life you get what you pay for  Grin

Cheers, Paul

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »

paul,,
   you were using the wrong amo,,the cork of the castor oil bottle is your man. them springs look the business. you dont expect the turks to sell you a real gun,,,why, you might fire it at them,, hysteria
   and yes steveh,
                    it is a real hot pot at the moment,hopefully they will calm down and see reason and we do live in intresting times.there are so many points of friction that one would almost think it a deliberate effort to disguise the real ball.its incredible that in this day and age country leaders will bomb and shoot their own people who just want to protest at the injustice.i watch the sat telly(not sky) around 4,30 am and watch the reporters come on stream with the latest updates because later on in the day it is all cut and edited.one thing i noticed,the libyan rebels are no longer amateurs,they may be still harum scarum but they know exactly what to do and how to do it.one wonders ,will they be able to put down their weapons and return to civi life,?
                                                                                                                                                   biff

clockmanFR

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:39 PM »

biff, we have not just got grenades here, we got a Tiger Tank now, see "Off Topic" forum.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Ki Lo Watt

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 10:10:45 PM »

It is hard to buy NOT made in China. The old saying of buy cheap buy twice seems to still hold true for tools. My last few purchases have been: Makita plunge saw(made in UK) Framing hammer(USA) and Splitting axe(Swedish). I opted for a Stihl chainsaw with training and my PPE cost as much as the saw!!! I have over 20 wood planes which have been handed down to me and I see the quality of the steel when I hone the blades. I have only owned one socket set(German) which my late father gave to me on my 18th birthday. I recently had to change an old pipe fitting in a cellar and the tool that got me out the brown stuff? A British made stillson wrench which came from an old boiler factory when men were men and nuts were BIG.
SteveH

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »

,will they be able to put down their weapons and return to civi life,?

Had a few with the local Dutch,German, & Greeks biff, so not the best answer in the world.... No ... Too much self interest & insecurity... Please start a new topic in "Off topic"...

Preveli, South Crete.
Contadino

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »

On the subject of reliable brands, around here you'll never see a Husky and a Stihl only once in a blue moon.  My chainsaw and brushcutter are both (Komatsu-)Zenoah and the only other brand of chainsaws sold by agricultural shops is Echo.  Echo seem to be losing market share quickly - all the professional olive pruners use Zenoah stuff nowadays and it's just the old codgers sticking with their old Echo chainsaws so I'm guessing their reputation for quality has taken a battering - word spreads quickly around the town piazza.

All my other tools I'm gradually replacing with Makita stuff - but it takes some saving up.  I bought a good Bosch drill last year, so when my cheap Chinese (and rather wimpy) 2 year old SDS drill packs in (hopefully not for another year or so) I'm planning on taking a chance on an Erbauer breaker:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb150-18kg-breaker-230v/22968

I simply can't justify the extra 1,100 for the bigger Makita machine as I don't use a breaker regularly.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: