navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When to turn the Turbine off ?  (Read 6935 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »

i have a seletion of old forklift chargers,, a few 48 volts ones and a 72 volt one.they are really heavy with the big copper windings inside.i wonder could i use them. the windings are like new, ?
                                                 biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »

Its Hugh, He clearly states that each of the 12 coils should be an exact number of turns at an exact wire, (enamelled copper) diameter, to a weight tolerance per coil of plus or minus 5%., and each coil should be no more than 12mm thick.

Intersting thought of all your different transformers and the like moulded to form a stator.

Don't forget you will need some 32off N40 neo magnets, and very importantly if you have any medical implants you should not be handling these magnets. Oh yes the magnets wipe credit cards, her indoors found that out.

So how did you get on with those blades biff, "okay got the blades, but had to heart restarted several times and my credit cards were wiped out".  Wink

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:39 PM »

i was actually going to unwind the charger windings and reuse the copper wire in new windings..i am safe enough i do not have a pacemaker and my bionic ear is fool proof.
     i would really need to sit down and work out all the stuff i need. magnets might be a problem.
                                                                                  biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Other-Power

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 12:11:18 AM »

i would really need to sit down and work out all the stuff i need. magnets might be a problem.
                                                                                  biff

Drop me a mail if your after magnets Biff, I have a spare set kicking about the place, no scratch that, they are stuck to my steelies!

Cheers

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »

again , a small hook   on the tail  , i grip that with a long rod  , turn her  out of the wind and brake her, take the ladder step up to the blades , and fix /arrest  the blades ,  5 minutes 3-5 times a year   for me

But on the otherhand ,  i thought the future energy unit is tough enough , the ones i know , failed cause tower designs ....

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »

thank you jon,
          in fact,,thank you everybody, i will have to figure out everything i need but meanwhile our gallant YSW will have to be sent back into the fray. this business of running the geni is not to my liking.up till this lightening strike we were running the house 95 percent of the time on our turbine,plus we had solar backup if required for the other 5 percent.the geni was only used for special occasions.
     the lightening also affected our symmetra,it will switch on and start flashing the lights on its own,i am not quite sure exactly what is wrong but it has its own fault investigator and can isolate it,however i do not have time to sit down and coax it,so it is now disconnected from the batts.
     we are not alone in this situation,many house here in donegal are still without lecky since the scorpions sting,,(that should be the name of the lousy forcasters not the type of conditions that caused the 100mph winds) at least we got up and running within half an hour,despite having our no 1 geni knocked out as well.
                           biff

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: