navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shaded roof vs unshaded flat roof  (Read 1281 times)
BrodieBoy

« on: May 01, 2007, 10:36:42 AM »

Hi all,

I have a choice between mounting my planned panel on an unshaded flat roof on an A-frame; or a south-south-west facing roof which (today on May 1st) is unshaded until 3.00pm but then the main roof casts a solid shadow over it.

Having read this excellent board i am aware of the potential problems of mounting a panel on a flat roof (i.e. it might blow away!) so it would be safest to mount it on the roof. However, the roof does not get as much sun.

What do people think? If i dont get any sun on the panel after 3pm (at this time of year) how much performance have i lost? Instinct tells me that the main solar energy will be available from between 10am and 3pm but i have no info to back this up. Have any dataloggers gathered any info on daylight hours vs solar energy available?

Many thanks,

BrodieBoy.
O MidKnight

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »

Hi BrodieBoy

Go for the flat roof. Make sure mountings are secure and roof in A1 condition. Wire tensioning ropes can sometimes be used to help secure panel frames. Vacuum tubes are a better bet for flat roofs too as less wind ressistance.

Solar heating - makes you feel good when you open the hot tap and when you look at your heating bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: