navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waste oil burner  (Read 9477 times)
Jaymac

« on: September 22, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »

Hi All

I have just fitted a waste engine oil burner to my boiler I am getting a strong smell of burning oil in my garage where the boiler is, I know there would be some smell is there anything I can do about this.

Cheers James
Ivan

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 08:49:14 PM »

This doesn't sound very safe or healthy. Do you have any pictures or a description? The boiler should be room-sealed, so you should not smell anything in the room at all. If you are getting smoky burning, then it's probably because the oil is not at high enough temperature or not atomised properly.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
mespilus

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »

Engine oils have an additive package that includes
longlife dispersing agents that keep particulates in suspension.

These particulates might be combustible products of oil polymerisation,
but,
more probably small shards of metal from the various wearing surfaces.

These small particulates will not settle out and will not be trapped
by common (engine oil ) filters.

When you burn the wmo (waste motor oil)
in your domestic burner you have no way of preventing these particulates
being dispersed in your emissions,
nor
of ensuring you have compleletely combusted the complex chemicals that comprise the additive package.

Hope I do not live downwind of you.

Now in the HS2 blight zone
bram

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »

Hia, understand the issues of horrible bits in the waste motor oil, is there any data about to look at whats actually in the emissions ,understanding it must vary depending on which engine the WMO came out of. (in fact some of the chinese engines there could be nuts, bolts, gears in it hysteria) and how do the commercially available burner manufacturers get around it, there becoming common place in garages around here. this seems to be the standard units they are using http://www.thermobile.co.uk/waste_oil.asp.
I've seen loads working and wondered if they would be a good way of using WVO to heat a house Huh

22 sharp pv, Diehl platinum 3800 s, 40x47mm navitron tubes, 2 x stovax brunels with back boilers in series. Triple coil hw tank. immersun 2, klover 120 pellet stove/boiler, immersun.
knighty

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »

don;t really know anything about them.... but a friend has one in his garage... there's no smell/smoke/anything coming out of his except for heat...

if it wasn't for the heat/noise you'd never know it was turned on Shocked
spaces

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »

Be very careful burning wmo, it's VERY carcinogenic, as are the fumes. Hope you don't live in close proximity to others?

Simplicity, the ultimate refinement
Jaymac

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »

Hi All

I will try to take some pics of the set up that I have, the smell is only there when your heating the oil pre firing as the burner is not room sealed. There is no smell out of the flue if I can cure the smell in the garage you could not tell I was burning waste motor oil.
How long would you need to be exposed for waste oil to effect your health. I am thinking free heat but my health is first and foremost.

Cheers Jaymac
Countrypaul

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »

The short answer to your question is "It depends on what the oil has in it". As mespilus says various metals can be present which could well be liberated by the combustion and settle downwind. Perhaps more worrying could be that the additives in motor oil often include compounds that can be precursors to Dioxin formation. Measuring what level of dioxins are being emitted it not trivial, but we all remember what they can do..

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: