navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar powered coffee!  (Read 16193 times)
Paulh_Boats

« on: May 28, 2007, 12:29:22 AM »

Its easy for a solar panel to get to 80C and our coffee machine at work heats the water to roughly that temperature.

So.... I keep thinking all those quick cups of coffee with a 2kW kettle must add up to a lot of kWh that could be solar powered, somehow.

Here's the idea
Fresh mains water feeds a mini stainless steel heat exchanger, panel redirected to the heat exchanger and allowed to get up to 80C. Water held there for a while...but not forever so drain away the old stuff. Put instant coffee in the cup and fill up with the fresh hot water. Ta da!

Sensible or mad?

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
PEMTEK

If I can I usually do

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:47:47 AM »

I have been thinking about this alot infact only on thrusday I setup a navitron tube I purchased while on Ivan training course up outside my workshop with a plastic container stuck to the top of it. It happily got 500ml of water to untouchable levels inside 30 minutes and within a few hours the water had almost gone.

Im  thinking that someone should make a device that clamps a tube to the wall and acts as a little kettle for outside your back door with a thermometer sticking out.

If it aint broke, you aint trying..
Ivan
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:02:22 AM »

you are overcomplicating matters - take a solar tube, remove heatpipe and aluminium bits, so you just have a glass twin wall solar tube.

Fill with water. Masking tape over top. Leave for 2hours. If you have good sunshine, you will heat around 2litres ofwater to 80-100C.

Glass is easy to clean before hand, so a hygenic way to produce coffee!! Might need a long bottle brush to remove scale every now and again. It's a great trick for shows. It's also a very cheap and useful tool for areas where people do not have a supply of safe drinking water.

Ivan
PEMTEK

If I can I usually do

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 05:18:24 PM »

Ill give that a go..  Grin

If it aint broke, you aint trying..
wyleu
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 06:52:40 PM »

Water placed, heated, coffee drunk.

I do like simple.
Ivan
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 02:33:29 AM »

congratulations Wyleu, I think you may be the first person (ever?) to do that.

Ivan
wyleu
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »

It's tough at the cutting edge!
Amaterasu

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 02:42:17 PM »

you can also slide sausages down inside and cook them !

Geoff.........
Ivan
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »

I reckon the sausage idea might work!! Have you tried it, Geoff? I'll donate a tube if you want to give it a go

Ivan
martin

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »

excellent idea! - we're intending to do the hot water trick at the Workhouse festival next week - we'll try it with some hamburger sausages - "McIvan's solar powered hotdogs" - somehow I think we'll keep that as a "demo" - I'm having enough difficulty locating all the info needed for H&S (great grandfather's preferences in loo roll etc.) as it is without having to do all the catering stuff too! Wink
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:37:37 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Amaterasu

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »

Ivan .......

I have a spare tube - so might give it a go this weekend.
I suspect sizing of the banger may be critical, then there is the oil selection (or not) plus seasoning.

I'll provide photos if it happens "!!

Geoff.........
Mike N.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »

and I was thinking of plotting a graph of insolation against time to produce the ideal soft boiled egg ....  Grin
(I was going to try poached but the tube would be too difficult to clean out afterwards  Sad  )
Mike
wyleu
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »

Does anyone know where one can get hold of spaghetti a metre long?
Amaterasu

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »

If you use spag thats a metre long you'll have no room for the bog!

Geoff.........
wyleu
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 05:01:35 PM »

How about fish fingers, Captain Birdseye ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: