navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off-grid solar for small Indian communities? (working out the kit required)  (Read 1944 times)
julian

« on: January 11, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »

One of my neighbours runs a small charity that deals with 'ethical' tourism to india (basically trying to get smaller communities to benefit from western money outside of the usual hand-outs)

Anyhow, his background is in building - so he builds various community orientated things over there, and wants to get into solar, but doesnt really know where to start.  He has tried calling the big companies, but, whilst they will sell him panels etc. what he really needs is an idea of what he needs outside of the panels.

I suggested that what he really needs to start with is a kit list that he wants to power, and then work from there, to see if the whole thing is feasible.

He mentioned -

some lights (T Cool tube 36 w each 6 hrs /day
a couple of fans 80w 5hrs /day
14in computer 120w 3hrs/day,
refig' 95 w 10to 16 hrs .
some power points  

Im not sure that that the computer wattage is realistic, and, power points obviously suck as much power as whatever you plug into them (i think he has in mind some tool charging facilities for electric hand drills etc and some sort of comms for the comptuer)

I dont know much about solar, but, as i saw it, the following would be needed -

An inverter to cope with the total peak wattage
A charge controller
Enough batteries to smooth out supply / demand
Enough panels to cover the total demand + losses (+ some headroom)

..and that was about as much as i could suggest to him.

I was wondering if anyone here could advise further?

I guess the key things that would be usefull would be -

• If anyone can commnet on the amp-hrs required
  • If anyone can comment on suitable hardware
  • If anyone can comment on things like losses / headroom etc

If those things were known, he could probably just call a panel supplier with the long/lattitude, and they give an aproximation on panels required to give the desired output, right?

Custom CNC engraved control panels for diy projects - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

Hi Julian

some lights  , a couple of  fans  whistlie  , so i try with 5 pieces

5 x 36 w lights x 5 hours   =  0.9 kwh   a day
5 x 80 w  fans  x 5 hours  =  2 kwh      a day
computer   say                   0.5 kwh   a day
 fridge       say                   1 .5 kwh a day

Total  about 5 kwh  a day

I  do not know exacly how much  one can receive  from 1 kwp PV in India  per day  and all year round  , but on the map it looks like a good levelled  output of above   3 kwh a day   per KW PV on average

To run everything on DC  would be better

But ok  , if we assume AC  

I suggest
2.5-3 kw PV                                      approx 3000- 4000 Euro

300 ah  @48 Volt  PzS  Battery       approx  1500 Euro
( can they be stored cold ish ? Roll Eyes)

MPPT chargecontroller (outback)     approx   700 Euro

Inverter    true sinwave    2 kw
(hard to find  in 2 kw  and 48 volt)   approx  2000 Euro  

But that is just a rough estimate   and perhaps too big  ,

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
M

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »

Julian, sorry to be 1/2 helpful, but there was a video posted on this forum, some time ago (Nov / Dec) where African women (and I think it mentioned Indian women) many with little or no education, have been trained to install solar kit in their local communities. I've tried to search for it, but can't think of the key words.

Maybe someone else can remember. I'm thinking that if it mentions the charity / organisation, then that would be a useful starting point.

Mart.

Edit: see Billi next. Thanks mate.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:11:16 PM by M » Logged

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15466.msg173170/topicseen.html#msg173170

Smiley

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
clockmanFR

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »

Although well meaning, the couple of systems i have heard about elsewhere on other forums, the batteries soon died as they were overused, the local head startted to charge people for mobile phone charging and soon rigged up some serious cabling. Once the batts were dead they went for scrap and the locals went back to direct connection to the PV panel and rigged up the phone chargers to just balance the input and output.

So keep it simple, think minimal gear, strong pole PV mount and simple controller that gives the locals what they want.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
rogeriko

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »

Everything you need is available in India for a fraction of the price of the west. A brand new car costs only 900 dollars. There are many companies installing solar/hydro in Nepalese villages, I have travelled the region extensively. Don't forget you cannot import foreign goods into India easily, if at all. First research Indian manufacturers.

julian

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »

Thanks for evreyones input.

Although well meaning, the couple of systems i have heard about elsewhere on other forums, the batteries soon died as they were overused, the local head startted to charge people for mobile phone charging and soon rigged up some serious cabling. Once the batts were dead they went for scrap and the locals went back to direct connection to the PV panel and rigged up the phone chargers to just balance the input and output.

So keep it simple, think minimal gear, strong pole PV mount and simple controller that gives the locals what they want.

The charity details are here -

http://www.interlock.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=28

I dont know much about it at all, but i think that, although its a small charity, i suspect it is managed in an ongoing fashion - rather than just install and forgett.  But, as i say, i dont know much about it.

My only personal experiance of solar is on my landrover roof, where i have a stecca charge controller, which cuts off the load when the batteries become critical.  I assumed this would be the case with a larger install (ie the batteries would be protected?)

Also, and im sure this has been covered elsewhere -

There is a huge advantage, both in cost, and in the availibility of simple replacements in the future, of using stadard 12v lead acid batteries.  Is this unfeasible, even if they are kept at a good state of charge, and the load is not stretched?

Custom CNC engraved control panels for diy projects - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: