navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: satelite internet  (Read 6290 times)
ceresbeith

« on: November 13, 2011, 04:59:11 PM »

anyone have experience of this satelite system for internet?
skyDSL2+ 2000 UL
The stated prices include:

Up to 2,048 kbit/s download speed and up to 192 kbit/s upload speed
    Data volume included
    1 GB E-Mail-Box
    100 MB HomeSpace
    Flatrate
    Spot Beam Technology
    No Fair Use Policy

AlanM

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »

Seems a bit slow, my tooway system is 6Mb download, with 8 or 10 available at higher tariff, and upload of 3mb. Have a look at Tariam, Avon, etc, or google Tooway
Heinz

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »

Seems a bit slow, my tooway system is 6Mb download, with 8 or 10 available at higher tariff, and upload of 3mb. Have a look at Tariam, Avon, etc, or google Tooway

Got a Tooway system sitting here waiting to go on Fleabay if anyone is interested???

Heinz

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
ceresbeith

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »

im in france. are any of those usable in france do you know? sw france, tarn
MN

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »

6 years ago I had Satellite broadband.  It was 2k to set up and about £50 a month!
Worked fine for downloads/general browsing.  It was useless for VOIP or VPN connections.   Otherwise fine.  In fact downloads at times could be incredibly fast.
Has it improved in the last few years?

How much is it now?

Any links?
clockmanFR

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:47:13 PM »

ceresbeith, i did reply on your first post regards French Nordnet.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
AlanM

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »

A new satellite went up last Dec and came onstream in June, which offers these much higher speeds. The satellite sits over the equator and covers pretty much all of europe, i'm up in the north of scotland. The dish was about £200, and i put it up myself. It beeps when its in the right place so pretty easy to install. Monthly is £25 for 6mb, or 40 for 8mb
http://www.toowaydirect.com/

Alan
clivejo

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »

Just wondered how your finding the sat broadband?

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
regen

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »

Hi,

We have the too way system - Welsh assembly paid for the installation. It costs £25 per month and has been working for about 14 months without any major problems.  Occasionally does not connect for an hour or two but is certainly a lot quicker than BT dial up which cost £15.99 per month.  generally sufficient for our needs -a lot of internet research and occasional large file (5mb) uploads.  Have only been in naughty corner due to over usage once. 

Price is a bit steep compared with the main line deals but thats the price you pay for peace and quiet with a clear view of the Brecon Beacons some 30 miles away!

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
camillitech

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 06:13:00 AM »

Just wondered how your finding the sat broadband?

Mine's with Avanti CJ, had it for four or five years and for the first three or so it was totally carp. Much much better since the new satellite went up a year ago but still £50 a month for 8GB use not sure what the up/download speeds are but you can watch iPlayer, YouTube etc with no problem and the upload speed is fine (I do a lot of it).

Still, even the best satellite system isn't a patch on 'proper broadband' from what I can make out. If you can get it via the mobile phone then stick with that.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
AlanM

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:16:17 AM »

Hi clivejo
Have no problems with the internet connection. It is much faster than my old broadband, and will suport iplayer, youtube without needing to load first. Broadband is no option for me, phone was going to  be £46K and about 4miles from exchange.
It also supports my sons xbox on liveplayer, only issue there is the ping time is a bit slower. fraction of a second. Havn't tried voip but others have said it does work.

Alan
clivejo

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 12:49:56 PM »

I was offered Sat broadband but turned it down, was one of BT's publicity stunts due to them making claims about 100% broadband in Northern Ireland, which is utter bull poo!  People who did take it up aren't very happy with it due to high cost, low monthly caps and unstable in bad weather.

I'm currently on O2 Ireland, 15Gb a month at 3.5G which I get average 2.7Meg downloads (according to Talk Talks broadband meter)  for 19.90 yoyos a month.  Averages about £17.  Only problem is that BBC iPlayer wont work, as its "Not available in my country".  Barstewards still expect me to pay a fecking TV licence thought!! 

I wish Ofcom would get off their behinds and stop dragging their heals regarding 4G.  But then their 3G auctions made a nice wee earner, why not do the same with 4G!  stir

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
dhaslam

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »

I connected to Europe Online  ten years ago.   At the time it wasn't full internet access, just a limited range  of services  but it was inexpensive.    They seem to be still running  and still have fairly limited services  but  inexpensive. 

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: