navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 200w wind turbine packed up  (Read 7070 times)
merkland

« on: November 16, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »

Disaster!! My 200w x 24v wind turbine has stopped generating, I noticed it did not seem to be producing anything and on checking discovered there was no output. I have taken it down in the faint hope that it might be repairable.
Dismantled it as far as I could this afternoon and tested the three output wires with the continuity setting on my little meter. I get a reading between two of the wires but can get nothing from the third.
The attached pictures show the main windings section of the turbine.
I assume that each wire represents a winding and that my continuity test indicates that two windings are sound and the third is faulty.
I cannot see how to dismantle any further and am probably at the limit of my capability.
Has anyone any suggestions how I might proceed as, if at all possible, I would like to get the turbine working again.
I have had a look for a possible replacement but Navitron does not appear to stock them any more and so far have found no one else.

merkland.

* wind12.jpg (85.99 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 817 times.)

* wind11.jpg (85.46 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 830 times.)

* wind13.jpg (87.66 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 801 times.)

200w wind turbine grid tied, 1x175w PV grid tie or to batteries,
2x55w PV to batteries, 24vx440ah battery bank. 3.5Kw grid tie (14xSanyo 250w facing 160degrees at 80 degrees inclination, Aurora 3.6 inverter), 2xflat panel water heating (for over 30 years )
guydewdney

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:50:48 PM »

last pic - is that a crack in the magnet at the 7 o clock position?

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
clockmanFR

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:11:10 PM »

3 wires, looks like 3 phase, normally you should get the same reading between any of the wires if its a star connection, 36 coils? therefore 12 per phase.

Do the coil enameled copper look damaged or burnt? . Sometimes the enamelled copper windings joints to the output wires can be suspect.

Sorry i can not be more helpfull, if it was here then i could possibly find the faulty coil or joint by tracing the wire that has no reading back as far as possible.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
merkland

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:24:20 PM »

Guy,

I don't think that the crack is in the magnet but I will check.

Clockman,

It is three phase and I can see no obvious signs of burning or damage. I cannot see any way of stripping down anymore to allow a proper examination.

Merkland.

2x55w PV to batteries, 24vx440ah battery bank. 3.5Kw grid tie (14xSanyo 250w facing 160degrees at 80 degrees inclination, Aurora 3.6 inverter), 2xflat panel water heating (for over 30 years )
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:43:46 AM »

hi merkland,
             that particular turbine is one of the most reliable ones and not given to any kind of bother.i suggest you check the wiring back to what you consider to be the faulty winding  and its possible you will find a break under the plastic insulation,these were made by the million and have turned up all over the globe,they are much loved because they are quite basic ,exellent performers and easy to fix,it might be an idea to check the slip rings as well.
                                                                                                           biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
agrarian

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »

Hello Merkland,

You could always have the stator rewound, but it can be quite expensive, and a new alternator, especially a Chinese one can often be cheaper if you can identify the manufacturer.

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
ecogeorge

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »

Any news here ? or has she gone to the graveyard? .
merkland

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »

Don't like throwing anything away if there is any hope of a possible repair. Still hoping to work out how to strip down further which may allow a repair. Will report further when I get a chance

Merkland.

merkland

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »

Well I have finally got back to this and worked out how to remove the stator from the casing.
With stator removed I checked between pairs of output wires for continuity and now found I was getting a reading on each pairing but no two the same. Thinking it might be moisture related I stuck the stator in the drying oven of the Aga overnight. On retesting between pairs I could get no reading at all !
I decided to take some pictures to post and while doing this I think I have found the fault.
Picture 1 shows removed stator.
Picture 2 shows where the three output wires are connected to windings
Picture 3 shows what appears to be connections in the windings on opposite side to output wires.
Pictures 4 & 5 shows what appears to be the fault. There seems to be a fourth connection immediately below those of the three output wires and this connection has got hot to the point that it has burnt out. If I poke one connector from the test meter into this burnt mess I can get an equal reading to each output wire in turn.
I am going to attempt to remake this burnt out connection, do a general tidy up, then see if everything now works as it should.
Keeping fingers crossed, will report progress, if any, in due course.

Merkland.

* Stator1.JPG (97.23 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 549 times.)

* Stator2.JPG (98.97 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 560 times.)

* Stator3.JPG (98.52 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 556 times.)

* Stator4.JPG (89.76 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 551 times.)

* Stator5.JPG (96.6 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 541 times.)

clockmanFR

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »

merkland,

The fourth connector 'as you put it' should be where all the first 3 coils enameled copper wires are joined together, and hence when you put a meter on the 4th connector and to each of the 3 other wires you get the same reading.

When i wire up my 12 coils coil the inside wire on 1 , 2 and 3 are joined together then the outer coil wire of 1 joins to the inner wire of coil 4 then to 7 then 10, and 2 goes to 5, 8 and 11. coil 3 goes to 6, 9, and 12, this then gives you 3 phase series/star connection.

So that fourth connector, desolder it and test each of the 3 phase's to find the faulty connection.

My money is on these connections to the enamelled coated  copper winding wire. I normally solder them to Triphase rated wire, (very multi stranded very flexible) along side each other for a minimum of 20mm then i use  Glue lined heat shrink, twice, to insure insulation and none movement, then i encase the joint and a good distance of the Triphase cable in Vinyester resin.

So me thinks its your joints.   

Ps, I use a sharp knife to scrape the enamell coating of the wire then a bit of fine wet and dry paper to get a good solder joint.

Eleanor

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 12:31:13 AM »

Can't offer any help but it's good to see that the Ladies Curling Team excelled themselves  Cool

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
ecogeorge

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »

Can't offer any help but it's good to see that the Ladies Curling Team excelled themselves  Cool
Are you sure your monitor is the right way up ?  Grin
Eleanor

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »

It's all in the Training Manual George and this runs to several thousand pages. The trick is to look like a blundering idiot and avoid suspicion  ralph

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
Mladen

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »

there is one smaller version of wind generator, as DIY project. It can be used as small electric device charger, or LED power supply.
here is building manual: http://solar.freeonplate.com/floppy_windmill.htm

clockmanFR

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »

I say chaps, Ecogeorge and Eleanor, thou is certainly on the ball.

There's me looking at the coils and windings, never even saw the Australian Hockey lot.

Mladen, err wot, looked at site link, noticed it picked me up as a stranger from France, 'so you have a cunning plan'?

Look out!, Mart (Innuendo Kid) will be here next, me i love coils, just the thought of the magnet passing by gets them all excited.  extrahappy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: