navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windmaster Grid Tie Inverter as Dump Load?  (Read 2302 times)
rs4v8

« on: March 11, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »

Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on the following?

I'm thinking about the following set up. Futurenergy 48v turbine primarily for use connected to a 48v immersion heater to be fitted in an existing twin coil water tank fitted with solar.

I understand that this can be achieved using a standard battery charge controller with a smallish battery and suitable DC immersion heater as the dump load

The question I have is the following;

If the DC immersion heater thermostat open circuits on reaching it's setpoint temperature, surely this leaves no dump load protecting the turbine?

Would it be possible to add a device like the mastervolt windmaster to act as a dump load in this case? This would provide a means of converting unused gathered energy to mains voltage if the hot water is already hot. I've had a look through the web but can't seem to find a device which offers two diversion / dump routes. Any suggestions?

This would be the power management priority.

1) Battery charging
2) Hot water immersion
3) DC to AC

Thanks,

Ali

guydewdney

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »

not many low voltage grid tie inverters out there.

my immersion has a changeover switch as the over temp / setpoint device -  could that not send the power to a space heater for example?

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
rs4v8

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »

The immersion has a N.O. contact which you are using to divert the current to another dump load? That would be much easier!
clockmanFR

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »

In a howling gale the turbine really does need some sort of load at all times, just a few seconds without and the voltage can rise to horrendous dangers.

I use Morningstar controllers that let the turbine be allways connected to the 48V battery bank, but once the batteries are full at charging rate of 56.8V then the controllers take excess energy and start dumping Kw's to Dump load air heaters in the house.

Normal 48v immersion heaters are good for about 600w only, what thermostat.? Wire direct onto the element connections. Just watch out for steam cleaning.  Grin 

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
marshman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »

The FE048 Turbine output voltage does not rise above about 130V open circuit no matter what speed the wind blows. I was told its something to do with the core saturating.  I must confess my turbine has 2 Windmasters hanging off of it and no dump load / diversion controller Shocked Its something I keep meaning to sort out. Its OK except that the Windmasters do occasionally trip offline and until they restart the turbine has no load. Its been like this for a couple of years now and yes the turbine does scream like a banshee when it happens if the wind is blowing - but the voltage doesn't rise excessively otherwise the inputs to the inverters would blow. I don't recommend what I have done to anyone and you really should have a proper diversion controller and permanent dump load - you shouldn't rely on a grid tie inverter alone - especially the Windmaster - as they trip out at the slightest thing.

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: