navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRB09 - why does it sometimes not come on?  (Read 1925 times)
rogermunns

« on: December 08, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »

I bought this HP in 2005 or 2006 but for various reasons it lay in store until last Winter. I then installed it, albeit in a bit of a Heath-Robinson manner, and had it running for a month or so. I have to say I only got it running after a lot of help from people on this forum.

This year I have laid the outside array of collection pipework and connected it all up. While I did have some difficulty getting the input water flowrate high enough, nevertheless I did get some heated output.

But I do have an issue. I have now got a consistent input flowrate at 26 l/minute and the temperature of this water starts at 14C. This input temperature falls when the heatpump comes on and starts to draw heat - after 30 minutes or so I get to 9 input and 5 output.Seems reasonably stable at that.

But the main problem I have is that I have the system wired so that I have to switch the water circulating pump on, then press the button to turn the panel light to green and then set the time for on and off.

Quite often the pump does not come on, others it does, but only after 3 - 15 minutes or so after 'calling for heat'.

I really need to know why this is happening and what to do.

Sorry if this seems a basic question, but I have only the internet instructions and, frankly, I can't understand most of them.
rogermunns

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »

{{an ideal set-up for me would be to have it wired so that the 'outdoor' circulating pump can be on a timer and when it comes 'on' it then 'authorises' the heat pump to start}}.
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »

Do you use the same timings every day?

If so, set SA09 to On (mine was set to this when I got it.)

Then, with the heat pump off (red led) press clock and set the time.

Then press timer and set the time you want the pump to start.

Press timer again and set the time you want the pump to stop.

Press timer again and you're set.

The pump will turn on (led will go from red to green) at the set time and off at the set time.

If you lose power, the system will forget the clock and pump settings.

Very annoying.

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
rogermunns

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »

Thanks, Richard

Can you tell me how to "set SA09 to On"?

The description of how to set the clock up etc is very useful, I can now connect the heatpump directly to the mains without going through the external circulating pump. That's how I have it at the moment, so everything is all 'manual'.

And extremely annoying!.

So now I will set up a timeclock onthe circulating pump to come on 5 minutes before the heatpump timing and go off 5 minutes afterwards.

Thanks again.
rogermunns

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »

Richard, I have now found reference to SA09 in the online manual, I think I can see what to do.

But I do have a query about the flow switches which you need to buy separately, according to Navitron. Last year, when I had even less idea how this thing works, 'welshboy' sorted it out for me - I ended up with a couple of links in the heatpump board (30 to 31 and 30 to 32) and a flow switch (RadioSpares) in the 'brine' line, and this actuated with flow to allow mains through to the HeatPump. So I presently have to switch on the 'brine' pump, the flowswitch then powers the heatpump controller and I can set the clock etc.

So, at the moment I have no power to the WRB09 control panel until the flowswitch says ok. But I do have the pretty lights on all the time on the board inside the heatpump box.

So if I want to have power through all the time (so the contoller shows a red light) what do I do with the output from the flowswitch?
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

It's been a long time since I wired mine up.

I'll try and find some time this weekend to go and have a look.

It's a little hectic as I still have 44 PV Panels to mount.

10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
rogermunns

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »

After engaging brain and again going through how I'd wired everything up, and adjusting SC04 back to 2 seconds (it was set to 5 seconds).

I have wired the WRB09 directly to mains rather than through the flow valve - I now realise the jumpers I have in between 30/31 and 30/32 are fooling the system to think I have flowvalves inline, so I don't need the flowvalve at all.

I think this is where the problem was - the flowvalve itself.

A bonus is that I can now take out the flowvalve altogether and the reduced pressure loss should bump up the flow a little. Currently I am flowing 26.5litres/minute, nearly the recommended 30l/m.
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »

Hi Roger,

I don't have flow valves in my system either, I've got the clips shorted together.

How are you measuring the flow of the ground loops side?

I've never found a way to measure mine so have no idea what the flow rate is.

Do you still want me to check how I've got the ground loop pump wired in?

10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
rogermunns

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »

Richard; thanks, I think I'm alright now.

I bought a water meter with 1" fittings from eBay uk @ 16 brand new (he's sold over 1000 of them) and simply measure flow over  5 minutes or so.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: