navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eco Eye PV Smart  (Read 125461 times)
bjp11scot

« on: December 09, 2011, 08:54:35 AM »

Hello Good People
Does anyone have any idea when this http://www.eco-eye.com/products-smartPV.html is coming?

Does anyone consider there is an alternative at this proposed price
redjay22

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:21 AM »

This looks very interesting. I think there will probably be quite a few similar devices launching shortly for us Inverter Addicts!

4KW, 16x250w Candian Solar Panels, Sunnyboy 4000Tl, 132 deg southeast, 37 deg roof
Automan

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »

Still only seems to use clamps with no ac voltage signal to obtain the power factor and current flow direction so I guess accuracy will be no better than 80%

Automan.
12TA

PV+Thermal. It all looks a bit random, but isn't.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »

Beware. I bought a single clamp meter device for the input and find it is confused by the presence of the inverter. It implies the inverter consumes power at night which is refuted by measuring the consumption meter. I think meters using sensors counting flashes from the accredited meter will be much more accurate. Undecided
Paul

Lucky to be in the South and South facing. 3.78kWh PV system and 30 evacuated tube 300l mains pressure thermal system. Installed 6/2011 pleased thus far...
rondurrans

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »

According to the manual that came with my inverter my inverter uses < 2 W 'internal consumption during nighttime'!

4 kW PV Array on the North Wales Coast - http://energy1.moonfruit.com/
'Nullius in verba' & 'Nothing Endures but Change' (Heraclitus)
Ben55

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »

I agree with Paul above. Mine is ordinary Eco-Eye with follg results-

1. Clamped on the 'usage' cable, it shows sensible rises from zero up, while switching on succession of 20watt bulbs.  Smiley

2. Clamped on net import/export cable, it  would not go anywhere near zero when I tried to balance usage with generation. banghead

Fortunately , the flashing Generation meter did agree with the Sunnyboy which restored my beleif in Sunnyboy Smiley

60 watts on Sunnyboy; when flashes were about 1 per min ( ie 60 per hour ie 60 watts).  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:38:05 PM by Ben55 » Logged
Ben55

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »

I'll add that I think there must be a noticeable phase difference, so it was impossible to get  near zero when I was  trying to balance  usage with generation power.

And you cannot tell whether the value is import or export.

In summer, with much bigger values, it should work better Smiley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:36:17 PM by Ben55 » Logged
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:51:37 PM »

I have a Wattson energy monitor which implies my Power one inverter  / soladin /windmaster 500/ collection of OK4e micro inverters use a total of 97 watts continuously at night. I do not believe they do  !!!!!!!
Problem is it deducts this 97w from my usage as it believes it's a generated figure so my usage in the evening looks good. Roll on an easy to install device that counts meter flashes - the only honest way of measuring consumption and usage.
rgds George.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:55:22 PM by ecogeorge » Logged
bjp11scot

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »

OK being a bit of  novice to all this - are we concluding that the suject 'eco eye pv smart monitor' is no use and serves no useful purpose???
Ben55

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »

Well I do like my EcoEye when the sun rises and the generation increases by hundreds. Smiley
The big display is easy to see, as you walk around the room. Or carry it about.

I have to remember that  can't add or subtract properly for values below 100 watts.
It doesnt know the phase factor which seems to make bigger errors there; Maybe other sources of error like electronic noise.

Automan

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »

The Brultech system from Canada and TED for the USA seem to be the only products that can display accurate data (and know the power factor and which way the current is flowing).

Brultech however seems to need a PC on all the time to save the data which is output up to every second (available in UK but have to order from Canada).

TED should be better as it has nice display units so I don't think a PC needs to be on all the time (UK model however several months overdue).

Other snag is both system cost three figures.

http://brultech.com/products/ECM1240/default.htm

http://www.theenergydetective.com/

Automan.
Peter_L

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »

Hi Everyone,
I am Peter Longley, Technical Manager at Ecp-eye.
I have had a quick read through and thought  I could give you some answers.
SmartPV will be on sale 16/1/2012 and will be 86.40 including VAT.
For that you will get:
Transmitter,
2 current sensors
1 peak voltage detector
Smart display
Memory card (recording at 4 second intervals)
USB cable for real-time output, firmware upgrades etc.
Trax - computer program for Smart - at the moment only Microsoft Windows but Linux and Mac will follow soon.

The two current sensors clip round the neutral on the PV and the neutral under the main meter. the peak voltage sensor is wrapped around a live cable. Plug all this lot in and you will get a readout of generated, used or nett together with a flashing green (surplus), red (using from grid) or yellow if the two are about the same.
The peak voltage sensor allows us to deal with the problem of inverters going out of phase at low inputs and improves the accuracy greatly
We intend to keep developing both Smart firmware and Trax as users tell us what they want. There is a wifi module coming soon and around Easter there will be appliance modules that can be controlled by Smart.

Hope that helps  - any questions, just ask.

Good luck
Peter
micky2468

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »

I'm not technically minded but this looks like what I would like ... this will show what I'm generating and what I'm importing... when to put the dishwasher/washing machine on, or more importantly when not to put high load things on .. I use an average 10 Kw a day so any help would be good.

Could the monitor be away from the meter by about 30ft ?  is it blue tooth?

I have generated 144 kw since my install on the 11/11/2011  I'm a happy bunny we are not south facing and the sun has gone to the side of the house just after midday  Sad but spring will be better extrahappy .. roof is about 40 deg  .. 16 Sharp 245 panels

16 Sharp Mono 245 panels should have been 250's... Sunny boy 3800 should have been 4000TL but they will come back and change it to the 4000TL
Peter_L

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »

The SmartPV transmitter and display are linked by 433Mhz radio - so 30 feet should be no problem.

Regards
Peter
hilltopsolar

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »

I have the eversolar solareye.The solar bee (transmitter) just goes in the ethernet port of the inverter and wirelessly transmits the data to the eye,seems good to this novice but it wont stay displaying data for more than a few minutes until i press a button which is a bit annoying for a pv watcher!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: