navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eco Eye PV Smart  (Read 120371 times)
lupinve

« Reply #270 on: January 10, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »

Hi Ian,
thanks for your great job !!!!
I'm testing and i have sometimes this error:

Time now: 09:39:33 Usage:  954.5 W Gen: 78.2 W
Time now: 09:39:37 Usage:  954.5 W Gen: 0 W
Time now: 09:39:41 Usage:  947.6 W Gen: 78.2 W
Time now: 09:39:45 Usage:  947.6 W Gen: 71.3 W
Time now: 09:39:49 Usage:  954.5 W Gen: 73.6 W
Time now: 09:39:53 Usage:  959.1 W Gen: 71.3 W
Time now: 09:39:57 Usage:  954.5 W Gen: 73.6 W
Time now: 09:40:01 Usage:  945.3 W Gen: 73.6 W
Time to output status. AvgUse: 899 W  AvgGen: 40 W
Params: d=20140110&n=0&v2=40&v4=899&t=09%3A40&v6=230.0&c1=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pvs2pvo.py", line 95, in <module>
    processReading(reading)
  File "pvs2pvo.py", line 79, in processReading
    addReading(useWatts, genWatts)
  File "pvs2pvo.py", line 58, in addReading
    if postPVstatus(timeNow, 0, avgUse, 0, avgGen, pvs_volts, 0.0):
  File "pvs2pvo.py", line 39, in postPVstatus
    conn.request("POST", pvo_uri, params, headers)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/http/client.py", line 970, in request
    self._send_request(method, url, body, headers)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/http/client.py", line 1008, in _send_request
    self.endheaders(body)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/http/client.py", line 966, in endheaders
    self._send_output(message_body)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/http/client.py", line 811, in _send_output
    self.send(msg)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/http/client.py", line 749, in send
    self.connect()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/http/client.py", line 727, in connect
    self.timeout, self.source_address)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/socket.py", line 415, in create_connection
    raise err
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/socket.py", line 406, in create_connection
    sock.connect(sa)
socket.error: [Errno 110] Connection timed out
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/Desktop#

where am I doing wrong Huh
ianh64
« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »

Hi

It looks like you are failing to connect to pvoutput. Its indicating that the connection timed out, that is, it tried to make the connection and waited for a response until a period of time in which it gave up and you got the error. I have a later version (that I will post quite soon which I want to add temperature to that is not top of my list of work priorities so a weeks time maybe) that handles this error a bit more gracefully in production (although in your case, the stack dump gives lots of info to diagnose which is better for getting up and running).

I don't know the reason for the lack of connection, but normal candidates are being unable to connect to the server due to no internet connectivity such as no network, firewall, wrong server address or simply the server being temporarily unavailable.

Sorry not much help, but try ping(ing) pvoutput.org from the Pi just to make sure that basic network connectivity is present.

-Ian
ianh64
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »

I've added a modified version to the Home Automation and Monitoring section.

Its a little more robust but most importantly adds temperature logging using observation data from the BBC Weather website.

Please keep conversation on the script to the home automation and monitoring section at http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21807.0.html
morrisok

« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am also using the eco-eye to upload to PVoutput but am doing it slightly differently.
1. I've connected it to my FreeNAS home server as its always on anyway.
2. I send the data to Xively and get PVoutput to get the data from Xively.  It means I can upload data as frequently as I like to Xively and PVoutput gets the average usage over the 5 minute period.  I upload every minute so far and that seems to catch the kettle been on quite well.

If anyones interested I can post the script I use, its only a few lines long.

Xively Feed
https://xively.com/develop/WfyLtx7ZCkcag7BG6EdM

PVoutput
http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=12216&sid=10156

Kevin
ianh64
« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »

Kevin

I'm curious as to what is causing the oscillations in your used power. Your usage curve is otherwise pretty flat compared to mine. Are you or other systems doing any filtering or is it raw instantaneous power?

My main outputs use a basic averaging over the period but have experimented with instant power (very peaky) and a kalman filter (too slow to respond). Not sure if there is a better way that will track the readings better but will filter out some spurious peaks and troughs as a cloud quickly passes.

I ilso assume that your panels are not at 1degree pitch as your generation values are way higher than estimated on the insolation graphs?

Ian
morrisok

« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »

Hi Ian,

A tropical fish tank 200W heater  Grin

I sample the eco-eye every minute and upload it to Xively, PVoutput then takes the average of the last 5 minutes.  Not sure if its Xively or PVoutput that is doing the averaging but it seems to work pretty well.  I obviously have the 4second data directly from the eco-eye if I want to look at anything in particular.

Your right, as far as I know they are at about 30 degrees (updated on PVoutput).  Not looked at the Isolation graphs before.

Kevin
Arny

« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »

That's really interesting to upload data via FreeNAS. Does anyone know whether this is possible to do with a QNAP NAS. I have a TS 412 http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=822&c=351&sc=514&t=522&n=3415&g=2 which is also running 24/7 so this would be an ideal solution.
If technically possible the only (major) issue is I have no experience of programming or installing scripts  Huh. Any advice or help anyone could give would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nige
ianh64
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »

Any device would need a serial port in one form or other. Either a custom cable to on board serial port or a USB port with drivers for prolific chipset as used with the USB/Serial cable supplied with EcoEye.

You may fall foal of finding suitable drivers for QNAP but you may be lucky that its a fairly standard Linux installation so will have support.

[edit]I just did a search and found this. Looks like it may be technically possible but all a bit hit and miss. Also looks like its not for the technically feint hearted!

Good news that if you do get it working, Python seems to be available so my previously posted Python script for RaspberryPi may work.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:44:55 AM by ianh64 » Logged
Arny

« Reply #278 on: January 29, 2014, 08:31:24 AM »

Thanks Ian,

I read the same forum topic yesterday after reading your post and came to a similar conclusion that it may be possible but its certainly not going to be a walk in the park!!

Can I get this straight, if I am able to successfully install the drivers for the prolific chipset I should then be able to install Python and potentially run your RaspberryPi script?

Sounds like it may be a solution but as I mentioned back in my first post, it is certainly beyond me at the moment. However, I am willing to give it a go. I guess my first hurdle has to be getting familiar with Linux command line!

Thanks again
Nige
ianh64
« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »

Whilst researching your post, I saw that QNAP offer Python on their list of apps.

The pre requisites for my app working with PV Smart are:
  • Python 3 (or later) - there is nothing specific to Python 3 over Python 2, but some syntax and libraries will be different so source will need changing
  • The PySerial python library. There seem to be a number of different ways of installing this
  • Prolific driver for the EcoEye USB/serial cable. Not sure how the optional Windows 8 version is different
So providing that these can be satisfied, then I believe that my script should run OK.

However, the device name of the USB/serial may differ (don't think it does with qnap) so this would need to be identified and changed in the code.

In addition, you will probably have to investigate a way to get it to auto start if that is what you want to do.

Alternatively, RasperryPi, SD card, case and power supply is about 40 if you cannot get qnap to work.
Arny

« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »

Looks like its Python version 2.7 available in the QNAP Apps.

My original plan was to go down the RaspberryPI route but the possibility of running it through the NAS has got the better of me. I must be stupid!!!

Anyway its great to have the option of the RaspberryPI if all else fails. Thanks for providing the script, its appreciated.

I feel its going to be a slow process but may be worth it in the end.

Nige

Peter_L

« Reply #281 on: January 29, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »

Hi All,
Looks like you are having fun!
The Eco-eye Pi programs are almost finished - I am just doing the web configuration and deciding what bits to release.
In the meantime a few things:
I have stuck with python 2.7 as compatibility with add-ons is still better, particularly pyserial.
The standard Eco-eye usb cable has a prolific chip that will work with everything except Windows 8 but the Windows 8 one will work with everything.
Hope that helps
Regards
Peter
Pugwash

« Reply #282 on: February 01, 2014, 08:56:43 AM »

Glad to here you are nearly there Pete looking forward to getting this up and running
been looking forward to using my Pi
Cheers

Solar PV 4KW  16 x 250W Kinve panels Goodwe 3600 inverter Eco Eye Smart PV Monitor Solarimmersion mk3 http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=20905&sid=18781
oldman

« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »

I bought a SmartPV a week ago and all seems to be going in the right direction, I have had the main 4 digit display go blank on mine a couple of times, button pushing brought it back to life.

My Samil inverter is showing 7watts on Smart and 5/6watts on PVoutput all night, I did try to trim it out in PV but that doesnt seem to have worked, I would like to see it gone in SmartPV too if there is a way to zero it.

Connecting my Samil inverter by serial to their own samil solar browser software gives a difference in PV output of around 35w compared to the SmartPV. 200w on the Samil software is 235w on the SmartPV. I would think the Samil readings are more likely to be correct, so any way to adjust the smartPV to suit?

Not sure I have filled in the costings area of PVoutput correctly either, i'm on 14.9p &4.64 and 13.293 from the grid if someone on the same tariff has a correct screenshot it would be helpful.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:07:31 AM by oldman » Logged

3KW instal http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=29060&sid=26619 by the seaside in Kent
ianh64
« Reply #284 on: February 03, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »

I get a reading when PV is generating too. When I first got my unit and temporarily installed it, I don't think I got the reading, but when I moved the transmitter and clips to a more permanent location, I started getting readings between 2 and 7 W during non generation hours. Over the weekend, I repositioned one of the clips and now it pretty much stays on 7W. So I think that it could be down to positioning of clips.

I then discovered that the generation meter could consume 5W and inverter 7.5W and thought that was it as I had thought that my temp install was before the meter hence including gen meter use. However when I went to reposition things over weekend I realised that I only have individual tails one side of the meter so this was not down to positioning clips one side of gen meter or other.

On my RasperryPi logger, I deal with situation with pvoutput by setting gen readings <7.5W as a 0 reading.

I spoke with Peter asking if PV Smart could detect this situation (possibly detecting reverse polarity in gen lead) but it sounds like its more complex than that and that Trax itself possibly filters at 20W.

Doesn't explain why I didn't have issue when I initially connected things up. So suspect that positioning of clips does affect this but I cannot remember the positions I initially used to resolve it. I've just learned to accept 2-7W on display as being 0 (clip based monitors are not accurate below certain level of W) and filtering before sending to pvoutput resolves spurious nightly generation.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: