navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And now ...plan B  (Read 9197 times)
agrarian

« on: January 03, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »

After balancing the blades, modifying the tails and increasing the dump loads, it still wasn't enough and shortly after 8.00am today the wind mustered another mighty gust, both turbines shed a blade resulting in stereo armageddon. Both alternators were ripped from their towers smashing the yaw casings and destroying the slipring assemblies. To add insult to injury I've now got the 4 x 4 stuck in the saturated ground. Not a happy bunny today.

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
offthegridandy

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »

Sympathy is all we can offer.  Wind is howling around here in Mid Wales so I can imagine what you've had on Snowdon.  Nobody hurt I trust.  Our turbine is howling away away but carbon fibre blades seem to be coping (flexing).
javascript:void(0);
Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »

really sorry to hear that ag,
                    i sent you an email to tell you about our 100mph winds here which ripped down powerlines and rearranged everything in our yard.thankfully there does not seem to be any serious damage done but i wondered how you were coping. you must be pretty fed up.
                                                                                                                            biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
agrarian

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »

Thanks for that Andy and Biff, these things are sent to try us. I remain undaunted and have already gathered together the bits to rebuild one turbine and the fortuitous recent purchase of a spare head means I should soon be back in business. No one was injured and I found two of the blades 250 metres away in the forest.

Ag
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:01:15 PM by agrarian » Logged

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
clockmanFR

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »

Sorry and very Sad to here about your turbines Ag.

I have just written to Hugh Piggot (the designer of my 3.7m diameter Turbines), asking about a better method of lubrication as my lot are squealing on the yaw bearings as they do their merry dances.   
I would like to fit a brake pipe line all the way up my 12m high masts then i could just pump the grease up to the bearings?, and that would save me having to lower every 5 to 6 months.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
agrarian

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »

Thank you Clockman for your thoughts, I just tell myself that it's a learning curve and all will eventually be ok. Just wish I could get a little ahead of the curve.

Ag

camillitech

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »

Commiserations Ag,  Cry

Don't lose heart and keep up the good work, and don't worry, the world's going to end soon anyway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon  hysteria

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
agrarian

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »

Cheers Paul,

If the world ends before I'm up and running again I'll be really pi**ed off.

Ag

ecogeorge

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »

If you're confident the world is going to end I'd  put the new blades on your credit card. Grin
clockmanFR

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »

Grin Do you think i could start a harem, quick, before oblivion.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »

you could hurt yourself clockman,
             maybe pull a muscle,put your back out or crock the old ticker hysteria
                                                                               biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Norfolk

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »

Hi Clockman. On the greasing front, there are many industrial remote and or automatic greasers available. If you seek out your local bearing factors I am sure they will help. They range from a simple sprung loaded canister
 is screwed or piped to the bearing nipple tapping to more sophisticated electric units.

guydewdney

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:37:50 PM »

Sorry and very Sad to here about your turbines Ag.

I have just written to Hugh Piggot (the designer of my 3.7m diameter Turbines), asking about a better method of lubrication as my lot are squealing on the yaw bearings as they do their merry dances.   
I would like to fit a brake pipe line all the way up my 12m high masts then i could just pump the grease up to the bearings?, and that would save me having to lower every 5 to 6 months.

as above - I have a spare spring based greaser. I also grease one of my bearings on the waterwheel with a long copper pipe and a grease gun.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
clockmanFR

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »

Thanks norfolk and guydewdney, I have had a chat with Hugh by mail, (i think he thinks i am mad?) but hes happy leaving them to wear and tear.

I looked at the self greasing jobs, but not sure is they will stand 12 months or so of minus 15c and the being boiled up in the summer. They would have to sit on top of the tower bearing plate and open to the mercy's of the weather.
Another problem arrives as this grease point is basically lubrication of two 100mm diameter 12mm thick steel discs and these sit, rock and rotate together so there is very little backpressure to stop the grease just dribbling away.

Me thinks its copper brake pipe up the 12m tower with a grease nipple at the bottom i can pump with my grease gun. 

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

how will you know that you have pumped enough grease, ?
            i always pump in too much as it is. the automatic one sounds the business
                                                                     biff

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: