navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And now ...plan B  (Read 9201 times)
clivejo

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »

All that is fine, its the coil and magnet plate I need sorting.  The pictures are on my other thread.

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11608.0.html

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
agrarian

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »

Today I resurrected the first of the recently trashed turbines, with yet another design of tail. Having reduced the weight of the tail even more than before it seems that it is no longer quite as rigid as the original although the weight seems about right in terms of reduced furling speed. I think I may have to go aluminium to give me the right combination of weight and rigidity. For now I'll see how it goes, and let the generator have a rest from it's vegetable oil diet.

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »

Good luck with the new turbine Ag,
                                   I have not got my prop quite ready yet.Hopefully your new tail will reduce the top speed and give it a better chance.
                                                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
agrarian

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »

I've invested in a nice shiny new 2 metre long piece of 3" x 1"x 10 SWG aluminium box section from which I've made yet another tail boom. It doesn't flex like the last steel one I made but as there's not much wind today it remains to be seen whether or not it will furl at an acceptable windspeed. If it proves to be ok I'll equip the second turbine with same and be back to pre storm status, then we'll see about erecting a third one .....

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
Sean

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »

I've invested in a nice shiny new 2 metre long piece of 3" x 1"x 10 SWG aluminium box section from which I've made yet another tail boom. It doesn't flex like the last steel one I made but as there's not much wind today it remains to be seen whether or not it will furl at an acceptable windspeed. If it proves to be ok I'll equip the second turbine with same and be back to pre storm status, then we'll see about erecting a third one .....

Ag

ali isn't ideal, it work hardens and cracks
agrarian

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »

Thanks for that Sean. I appreciate the drawbacks of using aluminium but if it does fail and drop off at least it won't be as disastrous as failure to autofurl. I'll just have to suck it and see.

Ag
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:14:42 PM by agrarian » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »

Good luck Ag,
               The weather here has calmed down and once again the forcast says suitable for playing outside,so i will have another go at the 2kw and aim for perfection. wackoold
                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
agrarian

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »

Cheers Biff,

If this doesn't work I can't afford titanium and will probably have to copy you and use the shorter 1KW blades. If you solve the balancing problem will you refit the second set of blades and make it a six blader again, it did seem to be successful at low wind speed generation?

Ag

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »

Morning Ag,
               I am not so sure that i will need the 6 blades.I have taken delivery of 2kw of solar pv which will boost my output considerably.I will certainly need the wind turbine still because it can perform 24/7 but i have been pleasently surprised by how much power it generates on just 3 of the shorter blades.I honestly though that it would not perform at all with the smaller blades but it works fine so it will make sense to just configure it to work when the weather is rougher and less sunny.
 I am not giving up completly on the 6 blades.it did work beautifully for a few days however if it was working alongside the new array on a windy/sunny day i would have no place to use up the lecky so i have to wait untill i get the new water heater installed.It is also becomming more important than ever to have a quicker and easier lowering method so that the turbine can be raised and lowered when requiring extra power as opposed to just being the main source.
                                 Biff

clivejo

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »

Hi biff,

Where did you get the PV and how much was it?  I'm slowly building up a bank of NiFE/NiCad batteries, but no way of charging in a renewable way!  I was planning to go hydro, but my wee 12v PMA from the 300w wind turbine I had the drive shaft got bent when it jumped off the mast in the storm.  I was going to attach a pelton wheel and try in it a stream.  Any idea how to straighten it?

I have a brand new Ariston WRcNSF water heater.  It has two x 3kW elements.  I've been meaning to put it on Gumtree for a while now, but not many people in bad need of electric water heating !!  It any interest to you?

Clive

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »

Yo Clive,
         I will send you the details of the pv supplier in a pm.I would be intrested in the water heater,How many ltrs does it hold? and what measurements is it?It would not be a good idea to try and straighten the shaft.You might invite a hairline fracture and the thing might collapse at speed.
                   Biff
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:17:45 PM by biff » Logged

clivejo

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »

Its 150 litre,

ē Height - 1182mm
ē Width - 550mm

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Ariston_Classico_150Litre_Unvented_Direct_Cylinder.html

agrarian

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 08:20:24 PM »

Greetings one and all,

I erected the second turbine today, aluminium tail and fin like the first, behaving nicely in the balmy breeze, I'll have to see what stronger winds bring in terms of improved autofurling at a safer speed.

Ag

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 08:59:29 PM »

Good luck with No. 2 Ag.
                                 Incredible weather,fantastic solar and just the right amount of wind. fingers crossed!
                                                                                      Biff

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: