navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat pumps and wells?  (Read 3496 times)
PhilF

« on: July 11, 2006, 11:51:31 PM »

Hi,

From reading the FAQ on heat pumps, it sounds like having a well is a good thing?   For a property with a well, I presume trenches are unnecessary - leading to a cheaper installation cost?
The reason I ask is that my parents have a well at home, and were recently left standing when a solar water heating installer backed out on them - so I know they are interested in going green.   I plan to mention it to them, but before I do I'd like to be sure of how much it would likely cost, and what capacity in kW is likely to be required (detached cottage in the countryside, 7 rooms in all, double glazed and loft insulated).

Phil
mtimm

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:20:44 AM »

I assume the well you are talking about is for the domestic water supply, if this is the case it is unlikely to be of a major benefit as it probably won’t be deep enough on its own to use with a heat pump.

Solar might still be a good option, if you post details here there may be an installer close to your parents.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 02:36:50 PM by mtimm » Logged
Nick_W

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 10:06:10 AM »

I've just had a good idea. Why not put heat pump heat exchangers in mains water pipes. Obviously, this would have to be done with cooperation from the water companies but it might be cheaper than laying a 2-300m ground loop...?  Cool
NickW

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 11:30:12 AM »

I suspect they would run the risk of freezing up.

Ask Questions, look for evidence, think for yourself

Gold is the currency of Kings, Silver the Currency of Gentlemen. Barter is the Currency of Peasants, whilst DEBT is the currency of SLAVES
PCfix

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 05:19:26 AM »

I have a well on my property which I am installing with the 9Kw unit to heat my Sussex Cottage.
This well is more than 100 feet deep and I am using the water direct via a filter and consider this as a good supply, hopefully will not be proved wrong when I get it up and running.

Ralph
furkin

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 10:40:50 PM »

My parents have a bore hole for their domestic water supply. It's over 100 feet with a submersable pump at the bottom.
Could this borehole be utilised for heat gathering/converting ?

just a thought,,,,,,
Ivan
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 02:13:28 AM »

Yes, you can use a borehole, but as you need somewhere to dump the water back, you will need a second borehole at least 10m away to receive the water. You will also need to make sure your pump is sufficient to provide enough flow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: