navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Stove Top Fan - Show me yours  (Read 52098 times)
Lurk

« on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »

Seams an age ago since I started looking at this = DIY Eco-Fan type unit. Anyway, finally got mine up and running and it works a treat and for under 30 worth of bits and bobs and postage. you can see an image and some details here - http://www.peakdistrictcreations.co.uk/about-us/environmental-policy/recycled-stove-top-fan/ - I don't know how to upload an image here so I stuck on my own website. any questions drop me a reply.
Heinz

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »

That's very neat  genuflect 
I keep wondering about doing the tin can stirling engine thing, but there's never the time and it would probably be noisy ?

Heinz

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
roys

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »

Nice job lurk
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »

I never seen solar panels fitted as quickly as that lurk
                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Lurk

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »

I edited the many and frequent tea breaks ! The second array on the house front tok three times as long with various problems - but it all worked out well in the end and my explorer is showing hat it is in fact still making kwh despite the gloom in the high peak !
Lurk
Lurk

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »

You Tube video - sorry for poor quality - I'm still getting the hang of the IT ! - It looks ok if you lie down and look sideways !
Tigger

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »

Just click Ctrl+Alt+-> (right arrow) and the screen will flip sideways.  Then just click Ctrl+Alt+^ (up arrow) and it will go back to normal.

Once you get the hang of it you'll be doing it to any open machine that you see in the hope that the owner won't know how to put it right.  Hours of endless fun in an office environment populated by users who know very little Smiley 

Yes, I know it's childish  Grin

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »

Hello Tigger

Just click Ctrl+Alt+-> (right arrow) and the screen will flip sideways.  Then just click Ctrl+Alt+^ (up arrow) and it will go back to normal.

Once you get the hang of it you'll be doing it to any open machine that you see in the hope that the owner won't know how to put it right.  Hours of endless fun in an office environment populated by users who know very little Smiley 

Yes, I know it's childish  Grin

:-( doesnt work on my machine - any ideas?  Dell Inspiron running Windows XP SP3

Tigger

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »

Are you using the 'cursor' keys (the group of 4 for up/down/left/right) rather than the 'greater than' (>) or 'less than' (<) keys?

Other than that, no idea Sad

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »

Hello Tigger

Are you using the 'cursor' keys (the group of 4 for up/down/left/right) rather than the 'greater than' (>) or 'less than' (<) keys?

Other than that, no idea Sad

Tried both - neither works - but the YouTube video is now the right way up..

Thanks for your help, but I will bow out now - as I don't want to hijack this thread.

dhaslam

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »

That works very  neatly.    I would like to  do something slightly different, to circulate some  warm air through the  wood store.   A small fan would do it  but the TEG  would need to  run at lower temperatures, something like 150C max on the hot side.     

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Lurk

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »

I have a 'spare' TEG to play about with - not sure what temp it needs to run as I understand the principle is heat difference side to side - I will see if I can find my meter and get a warm cup of water one side with something cool the other.
I wasn't expecting to get much in the way of interest - the website hit rate has doubled since lunch time ! I will try to leave you some info'
Lurk
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »

Lurk  i am  impressed ,thanks .....

I had a go  with these Teg s or similar  but same supplier and was disappointed http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-GENERATION-TEG-HIGH-TEMP-THERMOELECTRIC-PELTIER-/280477179086?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D310155795073%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5840829948160030439

i guess  i should have  gone with the knowledge of  http://thermalforce.de/  whistlie

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Lurk

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »

Billi - I too was unimpressed when I first tested the TEG (as per your first link) - I had quite a few email exchanges with the supplier - who shall we say was less than forth coming - however, after getting a bit more info' I ensured that the entire surfaces of both sides were fully contacted by the paste and metal components - then after cocking about with the wrong voltage motor and getting that sorted it all went swimmingly !

Couple of extra pointers for the mk ii - I will use a thicker ali' base but with a smaller surface area just to cover the TEG + a bit for stability - ideally it would be 25mm+ may be even 50mm thick - this would reduce the maximum heat transfer to the hot side of the TEG which is only rated to 230degrees C . I have found that the stove top is not exactly 'flat' and so heat build up on the plate is slow due to the point contacts.   A thicker & smaller surface area  would also then allow a larger diameter fan to be fitted forward of the copper fins - so new motor mount necessary.  I've looked all over for a decent small metal bladed fan that will not be to heavy for a 2mm diameter motor shaft - no joy. So I may try to make one from some ali' / copper sheet and fit it to a wood hub.

Lurk.
Tigger

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »

Lurk,

>>I have found that the stove top is not exactly 'flat' and so heat build up on the plate is slow due to the point contacts.

How about using some heat transfer paste on the base as well?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: