navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faston F2 battery connections?  (Read 4800 times)
skyewright

« on: February 08, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »

I've just replaced the batteries in a some small UPS's (APC Back-UPS 650). I'm sure I can find some use for the 12v 7Ah batteries I've taken out (they are not duff, just getting a bit long in the tooth to trust in the UPS's).

I think the connectors are Faston F2 type? Googling around, I think that's the same sort of thing as this page at CPC/Farnell:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/c3125rd/push-on-terminal-6-3-x-0-8-red/dp/PL11037

Can some wiser person confirm, or alternatively point me in a better direction?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
johnrae

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »

What do you want to know ? 

The terminals are frequently called spade type. 
Generally, on this size of battery they come in 2 sizes, F1 and F2
The F2 is 1/4" (6.3mm) and the F1 is somewhat smaller (around 4.8mm)
guydewdney

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »

if they turn out to be F1's I have TONS of them kicking about and you can have some for the postage cost.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:44:40 PM »

Hello Skyewright,
                  If its the little toggle switch type,400watt  model x 12 volt then you can chuck the 7ah batts away and set it up with a pair or more of 100ah yousa sealed leads. The wiring is easy rerouted to exit out the back into a small grey anderson connector.This little ups is one of my favourites.It is so easy run and ultra reliable that it is well worth the effort.
                                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
skyewright

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »

What do you want to know ?
Sorry. I wasn't clear.

I want to know where I can find some female F2 connectors to fit on the male F2 battery terminals, so that I can make up some decent wiring for where I want to use the batteries.

I could of course just use croc clips, but if they are cheap enough (and I don't need to buy 100!) I may as well keep it neat and use the proper connections...  Smiley

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
skyewright

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »

If its the little toggle switch type,400watt  model x 12 volt then you can chuck the 7ah batts away and set it up with a pair or more of 100ah yousa sealed leads. The wiring is easy rerouted to exit out the back into a small grey anderson connector.This little ups is one of my favourites.It is so easy run and ultra reliable that it is well worth the effort.
The 650's that these batteries have come out of are the newer "push button" type, but it so happens I do also have an old toggle switch 400watt - that's twice the size and hasn't been used for years, but it's been stored dry and should be in decent condition if I ever decide to make use of it again.  Smiley

I do so hate throwing stuff out, it's suprising what it can come in useful for.  I only recently thought of a use for a Kenlowe electric fan that I've been hanging on to for over 25 years (I'd originally fitted the fan to a Triumph Spitfire, then removed it before before selling the car, and it's been in loft storage ever since). Grin

Regards
David
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »

Hi again Skyewright,
               If you are lucky enough to have a good toggle switch type then get it out and put it to work.It is one of the most trouble free and reliable models ever made.No diddling about with the cold starting and if you look at the back you will see that you can do a lot more with this little machine than the newers ones.
                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
johnrae

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »

If you're in the UK then F2 can be obtained from any car accessory shop (such as halfords) or maplins.  Nominally about 15 pence each
skyewright

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »

If you're in the UK then F2 can be obtained from any car accessory shop (such as halfords) or maplins.  Nominally about 15 pence each
It's over a hundred miles to the nearest Halfords or Maplins.  Wink
I do regularly buy from the Maplin website, so it that was the first place I looked but all I seemed to find under spade or blade was the smaller ones.

Just looked again and this time I've found them.  Grin

JH87U, JH88V & ML84F. 1.69 for a pack of 10, so time to think of a few more things I need and make use of the latest voucher...

Thank you.

Regards
David
skyewright

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »

Cautionary followup...

While checking the Maplin website I noted that their YT11M "300-Piece Crimp Connector Set" claims to contain "Receptacles    6.35 (1/4in.)" which I think must be "F2" female blade connectors. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case - I have a YT11M and the blades & "Receptacles" in it are singificantly smaller (4.8mm?).

Regards
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: