navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ventilating a Battery Enclosure  (Read 3854 times)
Eleanor

« on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »

The tin shed's getting a bit full so the new babies are going to live outside. The general idea is to build a box out of ply and line the floor with XPS with a sheet of ply on the top to distribute the weight of the cells. The sides and lid would be lined with EPS and XPS if there's any left over. I've also got some polypropylene sheets (same material cells are made from) which I can use to line the inside of the box and protect the insulation from the acid.

I've been looking around for information on how to safely ventilate the box and have found a few sites including the one below which suggest that two pipes near the top of the box is the best way, one of which dips to near the bottom of the box and draws outside air in when hydrogen is vented from the other pipe (Fig 5 in the link) :

http://zomeworks.com/research/hydrogen-venting/basics

Any thoughts appreciated. Maybe I'll make sure the lid isn't fastened down just in case  sh*tfan

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much about it Eleanor,sounds like you've got it covered. All the battery enclosures that I've on ships have their lids well and truly fastened down with just or two small vents near the top pointing down the way. Each vent is covered with a fine stainless mesh gauze that acts as a 'flash arrestor'. The steel ones have a lead drip try in them to catch any acid spill but the fibre glass ones don't. 

That article (interesting though it is) seems to be making something far more complicated than necessary  for something that will sit in a well ventilated space (the west coast of Scotland)  Roll Eyes

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »

Hi,
    It seems you can get stagnation if the temperatures are different. i.e. warmer outside the battery compartment than inside. But hydrogen is only produced during charging. wouldn't this produce enough heating to avoid stagnation in the battery compartment ? And certainly make the inside warmer than the outside.

Regards Richard

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
Eleanor

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »

Thanks both. When I first started looking at it I would probably have put vents at the bottom and top so I learned something about putting them at the same level (and this seems to have been borne out by Paul's ship battery boxes). So just two tubes at the same level, one that goes straight in and another which bends down to near the bottom of the box seems to be the way to go. Both fitted with stainless wire mesh where they exit. I think the information in the link is mainly intended to deal with the opposite to what we have here ie outside warmer than the inside but I suppose it could happen  flyingpig
Paul, if I can overcomplicate it, I will Roll Eyes

Eleanor

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:47:10 AM »

Maybe I'll lose the tubes ....... I used to be indecisive ..........  surrender

Outtasight

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »

How are you going to be able to take photos of the insides of the cells for the manufacturer to argue the toss over next time with these cells tucked up in a coffin like that?   Tongue

I'll get me coat...

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Eleanor

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:02:22 PM »

Unfortunately I'll be the one getting me coat  winter
It's alright for those who keep their cells behind the sofa  Grin

jonesy

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »

I once installed an enormous UPS - the type that has a battery room the size of a living room, and can support a large industrial process for an hour.  The (resident) fire officer wasnt even interested in a hydrogen alarm.  His research showed that the hydrogen liberation of lead acid batteries was minimal.  From memory we fitted a  couple of 20x20cm vents.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Outtasight

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »

Artful, that's true for AGM and gel cells that are used with UPSs but not true of the flooded cells that Eleanor is using, which make LOTS of gas when charging.

But even gel and AGM cells require some level of ventilation.  It's just that the requirements for air changes per hour are so low that normal home / office ventilation is more than enough and data centres usually have much higher rates of air change than that, so it's never an issue. 

The main requirement for ventilation in UPS battery rooms is more concerned with keeping the battery temperatures below 25C to extend their service shelf life.

3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Eleanor

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »

Not sure what I'm doing here when my task for the day is putting this lot together. I cheated a bit as one of the local builders has a DIY shop and I gave them a drawing so they could cut the panels. At least it means they are straight  Roll Eyes

* tn_Battery Box 1.JPG (36.94 KB, 333x500 - viewed 335 times.)

jonesy

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »

Artful, that's true for AGM and gel cells that are used with UPSs but not true of the flooded cells that Eleanor is using, which make LOTS of gas when charging.
I must confess that I didn't know this..  seems the fire officer didnt either, as they were flooded cells  Grin

Outtasight

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »

Ha hahahaha... You don't live anywhere near the data centre with those batteries I hope.

This is a video I made a couple of years ago when I was running flooded cells at home behind the sofa...

<a href="http://v5.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=90rayo&amp;s=5&quot;" target="_blank">http://v5.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=90rayo&amp;s=5&quot;</a>

I used to have fish tank pipe pushed into the vents on the four 110Ah batteries and piped the gas through a hole in the window frame to the outside.  One day for a laugh, I put a plastic bag over the exhaust and collected this lot.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:47:49 PM by Outtasight » Logged

jonesy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:40:01 AM »

This may not be the response you expected, but I GOT TO GET SOME FLOODED CELLS AND SOME BIN LINERS. hysteria

I saw a program on TV the other night when they put about a 1" cube of sodium in a tank of water.  Fantastic.  Reminded me of stealing tiny sodium pieces from school and making hydrogen at home.    angel

Probably just as well I've gone from off-grid to on-grid.  The temptation....

And no, I dont live anywhere near it.  It was over 20 years ago, so more than likely been replaced.  Phew.

stephendv

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »

From TAB battery, ventilation requirements according to EN 50 272-2

* Screen Shot 2012-04-03 at 12.20.11.png (100.36 KB, 572x820 - viewed 289 times.)

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

Eleanor,

How are you these days?

The boast safety scheme for inland boats recommends fans in the battery areas to vent gas - obviously brush-less fans that can't generate a spark!

Also if you have a good quality charger gas bubbling will be minimised.

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: