navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morningstar Controller  (Read 3208 times)
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« on: March 02, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »

me again !

I saw the thread on one of them going poof (in an electrical sort of way!) but I have a general question about them.

The guy who installed out Futurenergy Turbine, used a Tristar 60 to take the power from the Turbine and pass it to the batteries.

No problem there and (at the moment) everything is working fine.

I saw a few mentioning communicating with the Controller so I wondered how that is done and what kit I need ?

The guy who installed it for us is not available so I just wanted to ask those in the know, what sort of communication is possible, does it give you outputs, etc?

I'm not interested in messing about with it, just wondered if there was any info I could get from it about its production ?

ta, again....

All finished so the new adventure now starts here !
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »

NO NO you cannot use a morningstar 60 to pass the power through to the batteries. It has to be connected in dump load mode with a big resistor that gets hot, do you have that? The turbine has to be connected directly to the batteries. It seems to me that all the installers in the UK only know how to connect solar to the grid. Dosn't anyone know how to do off grid installs.

russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »

Sorry I missed that bit out !

Yes it does have a dump load connected to it, I was just really not sure of its monitoring capabilities.

DaveSnafu

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »

Hi Russ, I think they do an LCD display module for the tristars, about 100 inc vodka n tonic.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
clockmanFR

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »

The latest LCD display will also allow hub connection ie, it can talk to other controllers connected to the morningstar hub.

When you install the LCD display, just remove the front cover, 4 screws, the new display fits in place of the old cover and you plug the lead from the display into the socket on the controller and re secure the cover. WHAT'S BRILLIANT is that all data of energy dumped hours run etc will suddenly appear on the display even though the controller has been fitted for years.

When i fitted one a few years back it gave me old data and i nearly sent the LCD back saying that it was second hand, in fact its your controller that stores the data. Unfortunately it will not show what you have generated overall as with wind turbines its the dumping data that gets stored.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »

Cheers guys, looks like I will have to invest shortly !!

Outtasight

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »

You can also use a Meterbus to RS232 adaptor (Morningstar sell this for about 28) to connect a PC to it and get real time logged data via the MSView software.  It also downloads the contents of the on-board log memory from the controller as an XML file that you can read in Excel or the graphing module in MSView.

Depends on what you want to do with the data.

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Other-Power

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »

I think the 60 amp MPPT morningstar has a turbine mode with an user input power curve.  I may just be spreading a lie though, i am yet to look at this myself.

Cheers

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
eabadger

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »

yes in set up you get option to set up for mppt wind input (beta) if the mppt 60 you have a tcp/ip network socket to conect to for data via webserver inbuilt.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Outtasight

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »

You have to be on the latest firmware and use the latest version of MSView for the turbine option to appear and be configured.  Earlier versions didn't have the feature.

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: