navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar sausage success !  (Read 10591 times)
Amaterasu

« on: July 08, 2007, 11:31:59 PM »

Ladies Gentlemen and Wyleu.

It is with great pride that I can formally announce the outcome of my Solar sausage cooking experiment.

Today was the first day of real sunshine since I made the rash suggestion that I could cook a sausage using an evacuated thermal tube.
This was discussed in the following post http://navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1511.0

As with all great cooking programs I shall describe the method.

1. Remove the heat pipe and (for this dish) the first pair of thin metal heat pipe spacers.

2. Squirt some of Wyleu's favourite cleaning fluid (fairy) down the tube and add some water.

3  Leave in the sun for a while - agitate and drain off

4. Rinse with clean water and leave for a further 20 mins to dry.

5. Prepare your sausage - I used an ASDA premier quality sausage its fatter and longer than normal ones, by rubbing gently with some oil. This will prevent it sticking to the inside of the tube.

6. Insert sausage into open end of tube.

7. Check watch ..... this is not fast food  Wink

8. Check the tube at regular intervals the tight fitting sausage does not allow air to escape and will rise up out of the end of the tube.

9. I turned my sausage end to end once after about an hour.

10. After nearly 2 hours I decide to check the internal temperature of the sausage by inserting a temperature probe. It read a steady 97 Deg C

#

11. Starvation began to set in at about 16:00 - so I decide to serve my dish - upending the tube and shaking violently seemed to do the trick, beware it doesnt slip out to quickly or you may miss the plate.

12. Cut sausage in half to check that its cooked all the way through - and it was ! - even though picture is not great.

13. Season to taste and enjoy.

As Gordon Ramsey would say "Solar Sausage - Done"

I dont think I would recommend this as a method for feeding the five thousand at a barbeque.
I expect if you removed all the foil spacers inside the tube it would work just as well with a larger number of sausages.

To clean afterwards I repeated steps 2,3,4

As its now 7 hours after I ate my sausage and I dont appear to have a jippy tummy I can only assume it was thoroughly cooked.
It was certainly as hot inside as any other sausage I had eaten.

My biggest comment would be that it looked a bit aneamic (sp?).

So now the challenge is on - whats the next thing someone can cook in a tube.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:03:09 PM by Amaterasu » Logged

Geoff.........
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:49:08 PM »

Geoff - Quick, get a patent!  Then you can sell it to Ronald MacDonald for $10 Million - that's beer change for going green. Grin

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
martin

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 11:59:50 PM »

lots of moneymaking potential! - already there'll be the "alt.fetish.solar sausage" board up and running.......I can see it now - Solarsausagecam! - hot solar sausage action online! Grin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 12:02:51 AM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
PEMTEK

If I can I usually do

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 12:41:15 AM »

I would hate to see what other people would think a solar sausage camera was showing...  Embarrassed

If it aint broke, you aint trying..
Ivan
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »

Congratulations, Geoff - I'm very impressed! You can put yourself down as a true pioneer. I am pretty sure that no-one has ever done anything like that before. I think in the distant future your achievement will be taught as a landmark (in Home Economy classes?!) as part of the national curriculum.

I reckon a smaller sausage and a loose fitting cork in the top might have been an easier option.

Vegetables would cook well - peas, new potatoes(small ones), carrots (again, small ones)

By the way Navitron sells individual glass tubes quite cheaply if anyone fancies playing around with this idea.

Ivan
wyleu
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 10:38:12 AM »

eerr we got a little over enthusiastic in our testing this weekend has anyone got any Savlon?   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Ivan
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »

uh...what DID you put in the tube?!
Amaterasu

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »

Flushed with success, I am now planning for my next culinary triumph.

Details will remain scant for now - to avoid copy-cat activity.

Watch this space............... Lips Sealed

Geoff.........
manwithtool

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 01:05:40 PM »

Geof..you have way too much free time !! 

When I saw the post I assumed you'd BBQ it on a number of the copper tips ?  maybe copper is not a metal you want to cook on ?

I'll stick to a normal BBQ

but well done....
jason

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »

Well done Geoff
may be a 58mm tube for the larger snorker !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: