navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for manufacturer of dc immersion heaters  (Read 29199 times)
clivejo

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »

The DC switch-gear had pots of mercury that the contacts would be dipped into.  I guess this was to stop the metals welding together?

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »

I take it,that your grandfather,s 120vdc generator was a 5.5kw one clive ?
                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »

The courier went Beep!! Beep!! and the babies went Wuff!! Wuff!!,
                   Our immersion heaters have arrived,,Im impressed, 2 @ 6kw x 240ac and 2 @ 2kw x 138dc, extrahappy extrahappy.
                   I will post some pickies when she is ready,including ones of the cables and downstairs water heater.
                                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clivejo

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 01:37:43 PM »

I take it,that your grandfather,s 120vdc generator was a 5.5kw one clive ?
                                     Biff

I dont know biff, it charged into those NiFE or NiCad batteries I have.  I'm sure there is a plate somewhere on the generator, but haven't come across it yet.  The switch gear seemed pretty substantial, I assumed it was needed for high voltage DC.

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
camillitech

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »

The courier went Beep!! Beep!! and the babies went Wuff!! Wuff!!,

Biff

Did he go 'beep beep' because the dug went woof woof and he didn't want to lose a leg Biff  hysteria  hysteria

Keep us posted (about the heaters and not the nervous courier Grin ) Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »

The cables might be a bit more heavy than you would suspect.The round hole in the floor is 110mm.

This is the water heater and already has an immersion heater powered by AC,.A further 700mm x 2kw x 138dc immersion is dropped down through the exact centre at the top.

. These are the immersions, 2 of 6kw x 240ac and 2 of 2kw x 138vdc. I think they are well made and properly finished and exactly what i asked for.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:24:37 PM by biff » Logged

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 04:33:11 AM »

Grin   Hey Biff , you seem to be well organised ....  but all these grid connected  experts  will be jealous

Cool

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »

Yo Billi,!!
        I am getting there slowly but i hope to have your brilliant mini grid eventually.I am really pleased with the new turbine setup.It seems to be ticking all the boxs. fingers crossed!
                           Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 12:52:42 AM »

The immersion heaters should have been straight forward but the albion hot water cylinder proved to be a bit of a drawback.An exact replacement was cheaper than quoted,280euros but it was grade 3.The grade 2 version was 510euros,so i went for the s/s with the bells and whistles.So i took the exact measurement of all the coil outlets and everything else,drawn to scale on an A4,everything exact but an extra 75mm added on to the bottom of the cylinder..So now i am into lowering the shelf that supports the tank but having built this in 2002 and plumbed it all in,it is not a problem.
   With everything stripped away from the hot press i am now routing my dc dump load wiring through the house to the new immersion on the new hot water cylinder.There is still half a days work left in that.I have a pine cabinet to build next to  the stairs in the hall,this will house the new water heater and some storage.There will also be a shelf for a further controller and monitor,this should keep me busy untill the new h/w cylinder is ready for collection next week.
                                             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »

The cables for both the upstairs hotwater cylinder and the downstairs water heater are now insitu.However there is ,,I am told,,a slight delay on the delivery of the new s/s hot water cylinder,They have to send over to England for a boss for the immersion.I dont mind,I have plenty to be going on with.The framework for the new water heater in the hall is almost complete and after i install the kingspan liner and plumb in the w/h i will clad the lot in a suitable chip.The unit is 1225mm wide x 680mm deep and also house a token press,I intend to rack a further 2kw controller with a further 2kw of resistors,well away from the w/h and another symmetra rm.I have installed plenty of cables and when this is finished i dont intend to have to change it.It will the end result of my years in search of a good relaible off-grid solution with permanent backup.
                                                  Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »

Sometimes ,things dont quite work the way you plan them,Our new s/s  h/w cylinder was supposed to arrive in letterkenny a week ago.It is being manufactured here in Ireland and i was promised one which would match the Albion pipework exactly but still had to give a detailed drawing of the pipework connections.No problem,this I did on an A4 sheet and went home to wait patiently.So then i got a call to say that they coud not insert the coil bosses @ 100mm from the bottom of the new tank,it had to be a minmum of 175mm,so i said,,fine,raise all the connections 75mm and i will lower the shelf it sits on.Problem solved,,err not quite,,some days later i called and now there was a problem with the immersion boss,the manufacturers did not stock the Bs"2 boss and would have to send over to England for it.Finally i got word today that it will arrive by courier in L/kenny tomorrow and at last i will be able to get the show on the road.
       The framework for the water heater in the downstairs hall is ready for cladding but the fittings and pipework are coming from the same supplier as the new H/W cylinder,then the cladding is next door to that and the dog food is less than half a mile from that,so all in all i have 5 pickups to collect and all the gear going into a fiat doblo which i managed to creat another 4ft internal length by taking the grinder and cutting a helpfull square out of the bukhead after removing the passinger seat,,oh how i miss the trafic and its long wheelbase.still the doblo goes on the smell of diesel and is a lively little bug.I am looking forward to getting my hands on the tank tomorrow but if the measurements dont match with what was agreed,then they can keep it and i will settle for the copper duplicate.
                                                                             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 05:15:43 PM »

Me pretty piddled off,Got fancy h/w cylinder and discovered that instead of being 75mm or 3" bigger in capacity it is actually 75mm smaller.
 And the pipe dont match,and definatly specfying no insulating they insulated it,so now it dont fit and i have to either saw it off or take a line out of the wall to the rear of the cylinder,,
  So says,I,,calm down,,!! eye eye,,!! calm down,,
       I still have to lower the shelf on which this tank is to sit.So i am about to get stuck into the shelf but I decided to measure the boss on the immersion,,the kindly folks sent it up with not only insulation but also a resident immersion heater,,So i whipped out the immersion and low and behold the opening is tooooo small,its a paltry bs1 n3/4.So my 2kw x 138volt with the bs2n 1/4immersions dont fit and of course the  immersion is totally  usless because it is only the equivelant of 700watt max in dc138v....
  Its one of those days,,,,,,,,, wackoold wackoold
                                                          Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 10:36:02 PM »

So i had the tea,
                 Had a think and says,,"yup i can make this fly".Got on to the immersion manufactures and they confirmed that they could indeed supply a 2kw x 138vdc immersion in bs 2 n 1/4 thread,so all i had to do was make the cylinder folks pay for it.But meanwhile i decided to check the length of the quick recovery coils(twin 8mtr coils in the existing Albion cylinder)in the new s/s cylinder,they are supposed to match exactly the coils in the Albion which is one of the most efficent systems i ever installed.
 I had a suspicion that because everything else had been wrong,that perhaps the manufacturers might have skimped on the coils and indeedy,,they had.The first coil measured exactly 3400mm and i did not bother with the second one.She and i are a bit disgusted with the whole sham and the cylinder is heading back to L,kenny next tuesday.
   If anyone wants to know how to measure coils,its an easy one.A bit of cottonwool on the end of an fine orange builders line,is fed into the top of the coil, the vacuum cleaner hose is pressed up against the bottom outlet,Then just measure the line that comes out of the coil and there you have it.Very accurate.
                            Biff

knighty

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 12:49:21 AM »

good tip on measuring the coils... before you said vacuum cleaner I was thinking you'd have blown it through with an air line... which is what I would have probably tried without even thinking about it....

but I think the vacuum cleaner would have worked much better.... the air from an air line might have just pushed the thread against the side of the coil and stopped it dead Shocked

there's a hell of a difference between 8meter coils and 3.4meter coils.... sounds like they're just taking the mickey Sad
skyewright

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »

good tip on measuring the coils... before you said vacuum cleaner I was thinking you'd have blown it through with an air line... which is what I would have probably tried without even thinking about it....
It's a handy technique too for setting up a leading line if you want to pull some cables through a long pipe/conduit. I was a bit sceptical when I wanted to put some network cable down ~30m of 25mm MDPE, but it worked a treat even though the MDPE was still coiled at that stage.  Smiley

PS. I didn't pull the cables till the pipe was in place & much straighter, of course.

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40į, WSW, Lat 57į 9' (Isle of Skye)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: