navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for manufacturer of dc immersion heaters  (Read 29823 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »

Slow but  slow,,i am missing a flap valve on the bottom crossbar to the right below the pump,will fit on tuesday when the stores open.The pump will get by on 28watt low setting,which is all that is needed to circulate in a hurryshould the stat trigger the pump.
  The new Hot water cylinder takes the exact same boss fittings as the albion so our 2kw x 138vdc immersion will fit perfectly.A bit of a break at last.New hot water cylinder will be quite a job,Every pipe in the house is routed through that area and they all have to be moved and replumbed.Its like one of those puzzles and i will quite enjoy it.
                                                                 Biff
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:29:44 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »

Today was a busy one,
                       This morning i was the resident plumber,whipping out waste pipes and all kinds of plumbing,,Then by 11.30 i became a carpenter,constructing a nice little shelf or stand for the new h/w cylinder.This particular piece of woodwork will have to be very strong to carry the new tank,so load spread as much as possible.
       Then with the woodwork done,i revereted back to mr plumber and rerouted and reconnected the wastes and all the hot and cold feeds. I am a kind of skitzo today but of course thats normal for me.
       So now i am almost ready to install the new h/w cylinder but first i must leave back the dud so i take to the road once more before finally getting to grips with final lap..
                                  Biff angel

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »

The new H/W cylinder is now plumbed in and looking good.It was a bit late in the day for testing and I was knackered,so tomorrow i will connect up the immersion while the system is being tested.The whole exercise was enjoyable and i am hoping to improve on the Albion,s performance even if the Albion was considered very good in its day.Sadly the old cylinder is beyond repair,there are weak spots all over it.
So its only good for scrap.
                       Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 09:14:10 PM »

All up and running.The big coils really do drop the heat into the cylinder.When the boiler fires up,the hot water travels 38ft before entering the coils on the right.This happens very quickly and working on gravity only.Then when the water reaches the required temp the orange stat at the top right hand side of the pic triggers the pump and the pump then send the heat round the house and also round the second set of coils on the left of the pic.The 22mm solar coils on the bottom of the tank are for use in the future and can easy be reached and worked at.The new dc dump load immersion is just visible at the top of the pic  fingers crossed!
  There will be very little to see when the job is finished.The units and doors will be refitted and the cylinder sealed off.
                                                           Biff

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:31:46 PM by biff » Logged

ecogeorge

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »

Are you sure you've got the tank in the correct way? How did you manage to get it to stick to the ceiling? hysteria I'll get my coat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »

Yo,George,
            Its one of those older Hahw tanks,,(horizontal axis,,,,,) and i used "no nails" Grin
                                                           Biff

clivejo

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 11:49:51 AM »

Those compression fittings must cost a small fortune!!  Don't you like soldering? 

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »

Hi clive,
       Access is the problem,I managed to sit a 550mm wide cylinder where a 450mm used to sit.The cross bar to the front used to be the shelf supporting the old cylinder which had opposite entry and exit points for the coils.The partition to the right houses no less than 7 verticle running pipes and the partion to the left has about a dozen running verticle,so room as extremely limited and the new cylinder was setup in such a way that it can be taken out and refitted without having to buy any more plumbing gear.Compression joints were the only answer.I cannot solder for to save my life,i always left that up to the proper plumber.The compression fittings are expensive,i have about 40euros worth to leave back and i guess i will have finally paid out about 120 euros for the fittings for the H/W cylinder and the water heater.The new cylinder cost 300euros and we are delighted with its performance,so some good savings there.You live only about half an hour away from where i bought the cylinder and could buy a good Twin coil one yourself for 250euros.
                                                   Biff

clivejo

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »

I installed a triple coil one this winter, even that costed a small fortune to reroute pipes and new yorkshire fittings!  Inch pipe is expensive by the metre!  Bought the cylinder from a guy in Drumshambo and very happy with it.  Got rid of all the extra electric valves and gone for pure thermo-syphon.  I have the solar controller all wired in, just need the panels on the floor.  But that's taking a long time as I have no idea how to do it!

Still needs a bit more work, I'm thinking of putting a Willis Immersion heater at the bottom of the tank, where I have my stirring pump, to use any excess generated power before dumping it.

* cylinder.jpg (18.69 KB, 259x482 - viewed 529 times.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:48:31 PM by clivejo » Logged

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »

Both the water heater and the new hot water cylinder are now ready to have their dc immersions connected up to the dump load facility in the controllers.The water heater in the main hall downstairs is 250ltrs.It is just a round cylinder with a radiator wrapped round it,connected to the c/h.This radiator eventually heats the tank if allowed to be switched on to the c/h but the plan is to heat the main resevoir with the dc immersion fitted dead centre at the top.This water goes nowhere but expands and contracts into a little header tank located a few feet above the cylinder.The system is being tested at the moment and seems to be working fine but the real test will come when the immersion starts to heat the water.I hope to connect up the new array tomorrow and have it heating the water....This i must see. fingers crossed!
                                                            Biff

AlanM

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »

Hi Biff,
where did you finally find the immersiion heaters? Will be looking for some in 48v soon.

Alan
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 12:49:15 AM »

Hi Alan,
     pm on the way
                       Biff

knighty

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 12:52:19 AM »

biff.... toss some anti freeze into the cylinder that's not connected to anything.... it'll kill off any bugs which try to grow in there :-)

(incase it goes a while without getting hot enough to kill them... you need 60'C+ min. to kill em)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 01:01:18 AM »

Thanks for that Knighty,
                         How much antifreeze would i need to put into a 250ltr tank,?or would i just need to put a squirt into the header tank every so often,?
             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »

i began testing the new array this evening,
                     I moved the controller inside beside the water heater,so i will be able to see what it happening.The battery is now connected to the controller with a heavy duty cables which runs 150ft.I also fitted a nice symmetra rm,daft i know, but i like these babies,they can power things effortlessly without getting hot and bothered.There is a good cupboard beteen the water heater and the controller/symmetra stack but i will be fitting fireproof surrounding and a good smoke alarm.
    I will be wiring in a spur from the consumer unit,one double socket to power the water heater pump and to charge the battery modules inside the symmetra. I did not connect up the array untill the sun was well down in the sky,All it showed on the clock was one amp,but then the shed was beginning to shade the array and it was mostly reflective light which was giving the one amp.125watts  hysteria but it was 9pm so not too bad.I was a bit worried about the solar dc travelling 200ft down the line in 128vdc,i had visions of the controller bouncing off the shelf in the hall with a bang as the power came through.However,everything went smoothly,the controller registered voltage and the solar one amp.So i will turn the array towards the rising sun for tomorrow morning and look forward to a good performance and hopefully power the w/h immersion by 3pm.
                   Biff

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: