navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for manufacturer of dc immersion heaters  (Read 29813 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »

Hi Supremetwo,
                 Sorry, I almost missed your post. Our water is indeed slightly peaty but we never drink it from the tap.It is exellent for making tea,etc.BY the glass,it looks absolutly clear but i know from experience that it leaves a brown residue in the storage tanks which have to be cleaned every few years.Its not bad and does not contain any "iron ore" so we are lucky enough like that.There is a drain in the bottom of the large cylinder and every year it is opened to clear the settlement from the base of the tank.Some folks say that the peaty water wears through the copper in double quick time,I would believe that.
           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »

The temperature is dropping steadily,
                                   Winter is beginning to bite.I woke this morning to read our voltage was 130volt but the turbine was sitting idle.The wind was probely a force 3/4 and normally the turbine would be working away.Once the porrige went into the microwave away she went and then the wind really picked up and in very little time our turbine was back to heating the water again.
    The sun came out about 11am and with the wind blowing a decent steady force 6 Herself put on a hot wash and I switched over to the symmetra. Everything went like a dream,the turbine really let fly and the solar did its bit as well and despite being on a very hot wash the voltage never went below 127/8v and once the big heater went off the voltage climbed steadily back up and was dumping into the immersions within 20 minutes.Remember ,we were still running the fridge and telly,etc,
  The only one thing that we need to watch is that when she runs the hot to wash the dishes,she has to be very carefull because the hot can be really scalding hot and there dont seem to be any way round this for the time being.We just have to be carefull.
                                                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
supremetwo

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »

<i>there dont seem to be any way round this for the time being.We just have to be carefull.</i>

How about a mixer tap?

clivejo

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »

Just get a nice wee sign

extrahappy When she burns herself she cant turn around and sue!

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
johnrae

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2012, 10:34:39 PM »

Or get a proper thermostatic mixer from the likes of BES, their part number 19924
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 01:06:27 AM »

I would rather have some means of circulating the hot water to the lower end of the tank where it would do some good.
  Its hard to think of everything but if I had fitted a 900mm immersion then this would not be a problem.The present immersion is only 450mm and it might be great for quicker hot water but then it gets far to hot.I thought that the thermostat on the expansion pipe would have triggered the pump and sent it round the system but the top end of the coil on this big tank is actually 600mm from the top of the tank so a lot of hot water can be bubbling away up there and the expansion pipe stat still unable to trigger the pump,
       so I suppose ,somehow relocating the stat to the pipe on the top of the tank,,,,,,,,no,,h.mmmmm  I think i have got it fingers crossed!
           I will sleep on this,we already have a mixer set, I would really like to see the pump send the excess heat round the C/H,Like the water heater downstairs,which works a dream
                                                                                    Biff
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:09:58 AM by biff » Logged

knighty

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 01:24:23 AM »

can you not fit a pump and a one way valve, so the hot water is sucked out the top of the tank and pumped back into the bottom of the tank ?

it'll mean you'll have more hot water storage

but then again... it sounds like you have so much power now it doesn't really matter much?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »

This is exactly what I was thinking about as I drifted off to sleep last night.
                   However,I was trying to go one better and considered tapping into the hot 22mm outlet on top,dropping down 1800mm to the bottom solar coil which is not used at the moment,then returning to the top of the H/W.cylinder where there is a 22mm blank approx 100mm from the immersion.
   This would mean that it would be a heat transfer only and not water surging and mixing in the tank.It would also mean that it would be the absolute hottest water that gets drawn off.The trick is to make sure that the hot water does not get lost completly in such a large tank.
   I do wish there was some more simple and effective way without using a circulating pump,I already have 3 pumps in the system.
                                                                                                   Biff

clivejo

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »

I currently have a pump which circulates the water in the tank, but it ruins the stratification  Sad

Some of these days I will be installing a Willis immersion heater instead of the pump.  Its purpose will be a dump load and also should heat the water evenly in the tank.  I have a spare one biff, I wonder does it fit your special immersions?  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:12:18 AM by clivejo » Logged

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »

"But it ruins the stratification"
        Thats precisley the reason why I would put it through the 3rd or solar coil on the bottom.This would have a more gentle effect and spread the heat more evenly.The actual water does not pass through,only the heat which exchanges through the solar coil,The water returns to the top of the tank,cooled.The pump low setting takes 27watt,however there is something,somewhere against having a circulating pump on the domestic side of things,,
                               Biff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: