navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless card compatibility with WPA/WPA2  (Read 3171 times)
Ivan

« on: April 07, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »

Sorry, similar question to one I posted previously.

I have been given a relatively new ACER 5536 laptop, with Windows Vista on (a lot newer than this Dell laptop - which works ok with WPA/WPA2 wireless networking), but the ACER won't communicate - it can't see the network.

I've checked that the wireless card is physically secure, aerials plugged in and that it's shown in the 'device manager' list - which says it's working ok. I've updated the driver to the latest one I could find (on the ACER website - 8.0.0.225 ) and rebooted but it doesn't seem to make any difference.muc

Is there any way to tell if the wireless card can be used with WPA, or do I need to buy a new wireless card in order to get it to work (in which case, which one should I buy?).

Grateful for any help - as my Dell is on its last legs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:50:44 PM by Ivan » Logged

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
SteveH

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »

You could try booting from an "Ubuntu" live CD to see if you're able to connect, then you will know it's a problem with the operating system.

Preveli, South Crete.
Gambot

It's been very windy round here recently

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »

If the Acer is relatively new, it should have WPA unless the wireless card was taken from an old laptop.
WPA stands for Wi-Fi Protected Access and uses encrypted protocol and will be set up with the WPA key you already have from the router ( the one you used to set up the Dell). However, that all happens after the Acer has seen the Wi-Fi signal from your router and lists your router SSID and any other routers it can see in the area.
So the first thing is to receive the signal before worrying about the WPA.
Have you checked that the Acer Wi-Fi is actually switched on. Is the blue Wi-Fi light on. If not, look for the Wi-Fi dedicated key on the keyboard or possibly function key.
Wi-Fi 802.11 does have different protocols such as 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (n can use a different frequency) and you need to make sure that the Acer is set up to communicate on the same protocol that the router is using, or ask it to search all protocols.

Good luck.

John
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:33:59 PM by Gambot » Logged

4 kWp - 10+6 Sanyo HIT H250E01 PV - Aurora PVI 3.6 OUTD Inverter - 40 Slope - SSW 193 - Lat 51N - South Hampshire
12kW Woodburner (not installed yet)
Ivan

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »

Thanks for the advice and suggestions -

I checked with my Ubuntu Live and Mint CDs. Ubuntu sees the network, asks for the encryption key but won't connect. Mint12 asks for the encryption key, connects, and functions perfectly.

With Vista, the device manager shows the card as working, but the network icon at the bottom of the desktop shows nothing connected. If I click on it, there is an option to select network or connect to network or similar. If I click on that, it shows that no networks are available.

There is a wifi enable/disable button above the keyboard. It ISN'T lit blue, and doesn't do anything if I press it. It does, however, flash orange every 6 seconds.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Gambot

It's been very windy round here recently

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »

Last year I fitted a brand new aftermarket Wi-Fi card to an old HP laptop. The supplied driver did not work, neither did the latest driver for that model laptop. I found another driver that sort of half worked but it would not see the dedicated Wi-Fi button or drive the blue light and I had to switch it on using software commands each time I booted.  Eventually the 4th one I tried was an older driver that worked perfectly in all respects.
It may be worth trying the original driver again if you know it had worked before.

John.

4 kWp - 10+6 Sanyo HIT H250E01 PV - Aurora PVI 3.6 OUTD Inverter - 40 Slope - SSW 193 - Lat 51N - South Hampshire
12kW Woodburner (not installed yet)
julian

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:55:14 PM »

I cant comment on the other points, but i recently purchased an AWUS036H (google it) for less than 20 (inc post) and its by far the best wireless device ive ever used.

(way better reception than anything else ive used - easy drivers / works with linux etc)

Custom CNC engraved control panels for diy projects - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: