navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another successful EGGS periment  (Read 8432 times)
Amaterasu

« on: July 15, 2007, 11:58:59 AM »

Continuing along the English breakfast theme...........

For my next trick - scrambled eggs - well egg really, but you get the idea!

You will need the following items

Egg !
Milk
Seasoning to taste - I used sea salt and black pepper.
Cooking Parchment.
Broom Handle

Step 1.

Cut a square of baking parchment - I chose not to use the following alternatives.

Baco Foil - would act as insulator and probably increase cooking time
Cling film - would probably melt
Greaseproof paper - too stiff

Step 2.

Loosely wrap the parchment around the end of the broom handle to form tube.

Step 3.

Crack egg into plastic jug and season to taste.
Add a tablespoon of milk - just to make more of a meal and less likely to cook all hard and bullet like!

Step 4.

Introduce the parchment cooking tube into the open end of the solar tube
Do Not push too hard or the broom handle will push right through the bottom of the parchment.
Insert until there is only a small piece of parchment left on show.

Step 5.

Pour the egg mixture into the parchment lining.

As with all solar cooking it may be energy efficient but its bloomin slow.

Leave to stand in the sun for about 90 minutes.

Step 6.

Withdraw the parchment lining - and check to see if the egg is cooked.

Step 7.

Open parchment to reveal the fruits of your efforts.

Step 8.

Enjoy yet another environmentally sound meal.

To conclude............

The egg was perfectly edible and hot!
Presentation leaves a bit to be desired - but I suspect with effort that can be improved upon.

What we need now is for Ivan to design a better shaped cooking tube so that not everything turns out long - thin and round !!

Geoff.........
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:12:18 PM »

I guess the flaw in all this is that there is a limited date 'window of opportunity' where you can go to work at 7am on a "solar breakfast"... plus you'd be knackered later from the early morning starts  Cool

By the way Geoff - you missed the step where you obviously dipped the broom handle in HP sauce first   Grin

Antman

PS  Is that the Tesco reciept in the background where 'she who must be obeyed' made you restock the kitchen 'apres-experiments'?   Wink

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
RogerT

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »

An alternative to this would be coddled eggs. Our egg coddlers (small ceramic cups with a screw-on metal lid) only hold a single egg, but you could do multiples in the parchment tube.
Form the tube as you suggest and then grease the inside with butter (possibly using melted butter and a pastry brush?) and then break the egg(s) whole into the tube. A little bit of seasoning and then cook.
They're very similar to boiled eggs, but subtly different and nice.

Ciao   Rog
goodnoisefella

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 10:11:32 PM »

Ham an eggs......
wrap a slice of ham round the inside of the (buttered) parchment and pour the egg in, cook as Geoffs brilliant effort, decant and slice delicately. Serve on toast.

Can anyone work out how to do a long one with a coaxial yolk?...like them industrial pork pies of my youth

Ivan, I need a tube! .........I feel a solar curry coming on

Great thread, keep 'em coming

......of course I put the handbrake on........
Mike N.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:16:12 AM »

Can anyone work out how to do a long one with a coaxial yolk?...like them industrial pork pies of my youth

One of our ducks periodically lays an elongated egg with two elongated yolks in it. They'd fit in a tube just fine - the shell is even soft to allow a bit of tolerance in the fit. Cheesy

Mike
Mike N.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:23:31 AM »

One of our ducks periodically lays an elongated egg with two elongated yolks in it. They'd fit in a tube just fine - the shell is even soft to allow a bit of tolerance in the fit. Cheesy

Mike

We've been working on Lyrica, asking her to resist the urge to push for a couple of days and then pushing out a long thin double egg with a soft shell that would fit into a tube.

She's getting there, but crimped it off a bit too soon today.... Sad

Mike

* long egg 4.jpg (45.85 KB, 614x461 - viewed 1444 times.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 10:27:13 AM by Mike N. » Logged
Amaterasu

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »

Mike
Please dont abuse any animals om my behalf...  Wink

Geoff.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: