navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samil inverters rock!  (Read 50499 times)
martin

« on: April 17, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »

Following a recommendation, I opted for a Samil Solar River 4400 as part of my install  (http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=670&catID=128) - it's a competitively priced, highly efficient, nicely built piece of equipment that's better known in the Antipodes than here - I am just getting to grips with it's capabilities, and am very impressed - it could be ideal for many people, especially the "data freaks" - there is already Samil's V-iPlant (a much updated platform), which can be installed and run on iOS or Android devices to shovel the data online, and several Aussies are using PV bean counter

"A new version of PV Bean Counter (1.8.3.13) is available here:
http://code.google.com/p/pvbeancounter/downloads/list
This version adds support for SAMIL (both RS232 and rs485) and KLNE (rs232) inverters.
This version also includes improvements relating to "Energy Today" at inverter startup, useful to owners of CMS inverters.
PVBC can query all serial inverters (CMS, SAMIL and KLNE) as frequently as every 6 seconds. These frequent energy readings provide live power readings on the PV Monitor gauges.
These readings can optionally be stored in the PVBC database at intervals between 6 seconds and 60 seconds. Regardless of these interval settings, PVBC will provide 5 or 10 minute energy readings for upload to PVOutput"

My first acquaintance with the data capabilities came when I received a "rar" file containing the Solar Browser, and some simple destructions - it was remarkably easy to implement - first of all I needed a relatively obscure USB/232 cable - a swift call to my local Maplins came up with this  - http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-to-serial-9-pin-male-adaptor-29968 - so armed with it and a borrowed netbook running Windoze I approached the inverter with some trepidation.........

It was a total doddle - remove small placcy cover on the underside of the inverter, and offer up cable - doesn't fit because either side of the plug and socket are a couple of those "tall nuts" to allow things to be screwed in, so I decided that one pair had to go - the ones on the cable seemed very firmly attached, so I unscrewed the ones on the inverter and plugged in - clicked on the "solar browser" which immediately fired up - a few quick intuitive prods of "connect" etc had me looking at this -

-sadly the borrowed net book has only got a small screen so it doesn't show the whole thing  - up above that view are facilities to look at any faults, the set parameters, and with the appropriate password you can change the parameters (if you're an installer)

I've got the netbook for the rest of the week, so I'll post more details and screenshots in the next few days!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:48:20 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »

Nice healthy grid voltage Martin (257v)  Wink
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »

is that dual MPPT then?

also, has it / can it be set to limit the output to 16amps / 3680W or whatever you've got permission for? or are you just chancing it with the G83/1 limit?

and yeah, interesting grid voltage there...Wink

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
martin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:37:31 AM »

Single MPPT, and can be software limited to 3,680 watts/16 amps -  (can be left set higher for those with the appropriate consents!)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:45:21 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »

is that dual MPPT then?

also, has it / can it be set to limit the output to 16amps / 3680W or whatever you've got permission for? or are you just chancing it with the G83/1 limit?

Well within limits , - I make 16 amps @ 257v  = 4112watts.
guydewdney

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »

Have you asked the mods if its ok to post about these products? Wink

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
martin

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »

Grin  -  nice to have a plug for a "house brand" for a change...........

srg70

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »

Hi Martin, a quick thank you for your help getting the Samil Power 'solarbrowser' software to work with my solar river 2300tl inverter. After some playing around with different notebooks the software recognised the software automatically and the information was there to view, albeit not in too much detail.

i have now connected the system to 'pv output', you can view the performance here http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=11636&sid=9605. Pv output is fantastic and gives a more detailed view of how the system is working. It does however take a little time and patience to connect but once you have it going you can view online at any time and i have also downloaded an iphone app which gives me the same information.

i agree that the samil power inverter is a great purchase and thnaks again for your help.
martin

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »

Really pleased it worked for you - now all we need is some bloody sun to go with it! Grin

freddyuk

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »

I have someone installing 3 of the 3000tl's and he cannot switch them on?? It says there is a "side switch" but cannot find any switches.
Is there a hidden switch or just turn on the DC and AC isolators. All 3 can't be faulty surely as they are just dead? AC and DC power present at the terminals.
martin

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »

I was under the impression they just fired up as soon as the DC flows from the panels (above 150 volts from memory) - if there's nowt coming from the panels it won't fire up!

freddyuk

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:57:17 PM »

So was I. About 260 volts DC but not a flicker. Guess they will go back whence they came on Monday.
Ivan

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »

If all three units are dead, it appears most likely that you have a wiring fault - it's far more likely that the chances of selecting three faulty inverters! Check you + and - connections - if they're the wrong way round, you'll get nothing.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
freddyuk

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »

Samil still rock! You are of course correct. I went down to check and took the voltage reading which was showing a decent voltage but with a minus sign! Of course the electrician had used branch connectors (as only one DC input) not realising that this would reverse the polarity. I had to change every MC4 connector. Didn't even get a drink.
Iain

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:13 PM »

Hi
I find it amazing and very worrying that inverters can be connected up without even basic voltage/polarity checks being carried out. On every circuit it is always standard practice to at least check the voltage/polarity on a live supply before connection.
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: