navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samil inverters rock!  (Read 40689 times)
Ivan

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »

But lucky the manufacturers assume it's fairly likely to happen and build in appropriate protective measures to prevent inverter damage.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Brandon

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:41:48 PM »

I have had a couple where the DC was "upside down" (if you'll pardon the phrase)  as you say Ivan, provided the inverter can allow for it then there is no harm done (I hasten to add that in both instances I was there to find the problem, and not the one who wired it).  Had an instant locally where a sunny boy 4000 went pop on cause of the same mistake...

changing the world, one roof at a time.

Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of
high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and
skilful execution; It represents the wise choice of many
alternatives.
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 06:17:20 PM »

we've now installed a few of these inverters and are quite liking them fwiw as a basic but still relatively efficient and well built unit.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
Ivan

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »

By 'relatively efficient' - don't you mean one of the most efficient? There aren't many that exceed the Samil efficiencies.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
riseabdn

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 06:43:52 PM »

Hi,  these are great inverters, they have been very reliable and give good yield.   

The name is a bit new and i can understand any concerns people would have seeing this new name crop up.  Google about, there is a great article on them via an Austrailain site.  The folk down under love them.

Also, from an installer point of view they are light easily setup.  I believe they also ship with a 10 year insurance backed warranty (dont quote me, relying on my memory here!).
M

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »

Strange post this, but was meandering my way through some inverter tech sheets whilst bored (as you do!) and was struck by both the efficiency ratings and prices of these inverters. Also, they seem to have a nice range. Whilst my research hasn't been huge, the 3,680W limited 4kW dual MPPT model is the first one I've found that could cope (I think?) with my two roofs at different pitches, with 13*185W panels and 5*235W panels. I don't think I've seen any other model whose voltage range (and MPPT range) covers both extremes. Nice! Will keep that in mind as and when one of the two inverters (SB1200 & SB2500HF) dies. The improvement in efficiencies would probably add 100kWh's pa to my ESE system.

Just wondering if anyone has any new thoughts on these inverters. Will they drive down the prices of European inverters? Are the initial impressions on quality holding out? Does anyone know the prices of the extended warranties?

As I said, strange post, and strange ponderings, but an interesting range to keep an eye on.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 01:02:30 AM »

SMA 3600TL-21 would probably do that situation as well.

re Ivan's earlier post, by relatively efficient, I meant relatively efficient. According to the spec sheet they should be slightly more efficient than the SMA and Aurora TL inverters, but less efficient than the steca SG3600, which is what we're mostly installing at the moment, hence my 'relatively efficient'.

I've still had no issues with any of these inverters we've installed, so looking good.

One point to note though, -

They will feed in higher levels of DC current to the grid than the SMA, Aurora etc. and aren't covered by manufacturers statement about them being designed not to, so they should not be used with standard RCDs.

I've not seen a supplier point this out as yet, and you really have to know what you're looking for to pick this info out of the installation manual.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
M

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 07:36:57 AM »

Thanks Gavin, just looking at the SB3600TL and (of course) you're right, looks like the voltage range would do it. Nice, that's another option, though I suspect my options will grow considerably over the next 5 years or so, maybe even find a 3 MPPT inverter so I can add 1kWp of ground mount SW panels too, to the ESE mix, but doubt I'll ever get that one past Wifey!

Just for the benefit of anyone wondering about the relative efficiencies, here is a list of those mentioned plus a SB1300TL as a direct replacement for the SB1200 (Euro efficiency ratings):-
Sunny Boy 1200    - 90.9%
Sunny Boy 1300TL - 94.3%
Sunny Boy 2500HF - 95.3%
Sunny Boy 3600TL - 96.3%
Samil SR3680TL    - 97.1%
Steca SG3600       - 98.1%

It looks to me that you want to aim for/expect 95%+ then the gains start to drop off, but worth chasing. Is it sad that I find this stuff interesting?

Gavin, do you think these 'cheap' Chinese jobbies will drive down prices? Although I note that the Steca is actually much closer to the price of the Samil than the Sunny Boy anyway.

Brave new world, assuming the PV industry in the UK can survive long enough.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
martin

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »

My Samil is still going like a train, and hasn't missed a beat since installation - they are very configurable using the provided software, and I'd continue to recommend them as a very viable "alternative" to some of the better known names. They're very widely used and respected "down under"  Smiley

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
freddyuk

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »

Afore do a range of inverters with twin tracker at the 3000/ 3600 /3800w marks which is rare and the price is excellent. They have 5 year warranty as standard. Slightly cheaper than Samil . I have used Samil and will now try some Afore's next week as it is a well known supplier if it goes wrong.
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »

Afore? never heard of them, so not that well known.

Mart.. yes I think they have already driven prices down.

Remembered the other point with them is that they don't have a full scan function to mitigate shading like the SMA and Aurora versions do, so we don't use them in shaded conditions, in unshaded conditions though they ought to outperform the SMA & Aurora by percent or 2.

Proton magazine gave Samil them a very positive review as well.

peterpiper

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 10:15:55 PM »

Says "Use for indoor or outdoor (IP65)"
... but in the picture it looks full of holes!

Is it really waterproof, or is that an option?
redjay22

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »

Can anybody confirm they have got the 4000tl-d to work on the ethernet port with a pc or iphone/ipad?

Which version of solar powerbrowser is needed.

I am readying myself for my install and would appreciate any advice given.

4KW, 16x250w Candian Solar Panels, Sunnyboy 4000Tl, 132 deg southeast, 37 deg roof
Bert

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »

Hello.
After reading this I want connect my Samil 3680TL inverter to a spare RJ45 port on my router rather than USB on the PC.
Samil manual says, RS232 (DB9) pin2 RxD, pin3 TxD, and pin 5 Ground, but I am not clear what pins to connect to on the RJ45 Plug.
I have seen a few examples on the net but they are not all connected the same way, below is one example.

DB9 RJ45
2 RxD 3
3 TxD 2
5 Gnd 5

Does anyone know if this would work, if not any suggestions as to what pins on the RJ45 I should use?
I have read that if it's wrong it won't damage anything but simply won't work, anyone know if that's right?
Thanks a lot.
going green

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 03:34:29 AM »

i have a great little 300w / 600w surge for the car wired in on a split relay great for her in doors that suffers with Asthma so can plug nebulizer in good for laptop tool charges phone etc had it years never misses a beat 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: