navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meter going backwards. No one seems to care  (Read 10550 times)
Ivan

« on: April 18, 2012, 12:59:48 AM »

A couple of relatives have reasonable size PV systems. Their meters are merrily going backwards every time it is sunny. The DNO was notified at time of installation, that their meters spin backwards, but so far has done nothing. However, it's not the DNO that is losing money, it's the power companies. What obligations does a consumer have, to notify, and to whom? It might be embarrasing if the meter reading was lower than last quarter....and then what?

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:35:43 AM »

is it not cheaper for them to loose there metered KWH than pay your relatives a FIT?

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
M

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:43:14 AM »

A couple of relatives have reasonable size PV systems. Their meters are merrily going backwards every time it is sunny. The DNO was notified at time of installation, that their meters spin backwards, but so far has done nothing. However, it's not the DNO that is losing money, it's the power companies. What obligations does a consumer have, to notify, and to whom? It might be embarrasing if the meter reading was lower than last quarter....and then what?

I think they should notify their energy supplier, and note name/date/time. Other than that, there is little more they can do. I'd like to think that any reasonable company wouldn't back bill more than 12 months, but I'm an optimist.

Could Greedy Leccy PLC come back in 10 years time, estimate export at 2,000units pa, and then bill for 20,000 units? Sounds unlikely, but worth protecting oneself if the 12 month back billing rule (accepted practice?) can be used.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
regen

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:13 AM »

This has little or nothng to do with the DNO. Their contract for supply is with their electricity company. They should inform said company in writing - i used email to my Fit provider, who is also my electricty provider, to an email which they take upto 28 days to reply to. I followed this up with another email some 6 months later. My meter ran backwards for a few days short of a year before they got round to changing it saving me around 250. They made no attempt to recoup this money.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:49:50 AM »

When I filled my FiT form in for Good Energy there was a box to tick if the meter ran backwards. It had an italicised sentence underneath that said something like:

If you notice that your meter is running backwards you are to inform us.

I'm sure the nPower forms I've helped fill in have a similar thing.

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
mike-b-

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »

coming up to twelve months of backspinning for mine .informed on fit and verbally when my small bill was questioned (note put on acc) . same supplier . leccy bill dd ajusted to  5 a month . i have since added 1.25 kw.....  consumer meter is now 200 kwh lower than feb reading very tempted to change supplier and use last reading + as final bill  Tongue

mike

10x230 yingli +aurora2000 ,woodburner, 5x250 hyundia +sunnyboy 1200, bio burning motor. i waste nothing everything is useful i just havent found a use for it yet!
brackwell

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »

Who is loosing out ?

Well not the DNO (they know of the problem and they have the type and serial no of your meter from the FIT application)   They presumably pay for meter changes but not your payments.

Well not the elec supplier because that is just an accounting exercise i guess - ie we have sold x electricity so we have bought x electricity    and therefore non sold equals non bought.

So it must be the power co. but the cost of the electricity to them must be so small that it would not pay for the costs to put right.

There are no financial ramifications for the consumers as the other side are the trade experts and they already have the information.

Ken
merkland

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »

Some weeks back we received a notification from Scottish Power that they were coming to change our meter as "it had reached the end of its planned life". I thought that this was a little strange as it did not seem very long since we had the meter fitted to replace the old style one which had multiple clock like faces. I then went to have a look at the meter( nice sunny day ) to discover it was merrily turning backwards, I had not considered that this could be happening because our meter had been changed for the newer digital type. Aha! I thought, Scottish Power are on the ball as they know I have PV.
The day came when the man came to change the meter,he had a good look at the existing set up then said "I can't change the meter because the replacement meters I have got would go backwards as well and I would get into trouble for fitting one the same"."I will have to get a special meter that will not go backwards and Scottish Power will notify you of a new fitting date". That was a fortnight ago and we have heard nothing further from Scottish Power - one thing is certain, I will not be reminding them!
An interesting remark the meter man made (and perhaps should not have) was " I don't know why they bother to change the meters going backwards as the company does not lose anything, and it balances out over a period". I should mention that Scottish Power is our supplier and DNO.

merkland.

200w wind turbine grid tied, 1x175w PV grid tie or to batteries,
2x55w PV to batteries, 24vx440ah battery bank. 3.5Kw grid tie (14xSanyo 250w facing 160degrees at 80 degrees inclination, Aurora 3.6 inverter), 2xflat panel water heating (for over 30 years )
JohnS

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »

If I remember correctly there are two notifications at the time of installation.  Customer to FIT provider (usually electricity supplier) and installer to DNO.  The customer would not normally be in contact with the DNO.

2.1kWp solar PV
skyewright

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »

is it not cheaper for them to loose there metered KWH than pay your relatives a FIT?
It's not an either/or situation...

The FIT is paid on readings from the Total Generation Meter. What happens at the supply meter is a separate matter.

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
dan_b

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »

So, since the sun finally came out, and since I added in another .8kW of panels, my system is generating rather nicely.  However, even with the ImmerSUN and a 210 litre hot water tank, I'm still exporting quite a lot during the day.  My meter is spinning backwards and is 30kWh lower than it was 3 days ago.

My Feed in Payments are with a different utility (British Gas) to my consumption supplier (Scottish Power) or my DNO (UK Power Networks), but I'm figuring I should tell my consumption supplier sooner rather than later?  Do I just drop them a phone call, or email? Or do I wait until I submit the next meter reading in August and see if they notice? I'm assuming by then it'll be significantly lower!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Ivan

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »

I would notify them in writing - preferably fax or email, so that there's no dispute if they claim you haven't notified them at a later date.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
dan_b

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »

Yes I think I will - then at least it's in their court to not do anything about...

4kW PowerVault Battery
dan_b

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »

Done - emailed them through their website so the enquiry is logged with them. Ball in their court now.

4kW PowerVault Battery
dan_b

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »

Well that was unexpected. Scottish Power have got back to me and want to urgently arrange a time for an engineer to fit a new meter so that they can "bill me correctly".  Sad

4kW PowerVault Battery
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: