navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where not to put your woodstove  (Read 13064 times)
spaces

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »

I'm looking for some stainless sheeting, ideally. I intend to have some under the register plate also - it was galling to think that over half the heat from this is radiated/convected up the chimney.

Alternatively I could build a greenhouse around the chimney exterior and use the 'lost' heat for plants.  garden

Simplicity, the ultimate refinement
spaces

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »

As an update, the stove's installer is returning to bring the it forwards. Then I'll be able to put some bricks and steel behind and limit the amount of energy escaping directly to the outside - the chimney becomes ridiculously hot to the touch after a few hours burning - we moved in at the tail end of the wintry weather.

Of much more interest, a couple stopped last night in their car, it's a very quiet lane so i  I was working outside and it was obvious they were talking animatedly and pointing at the building. On seeing me, they wound down the window - I wandered over and they explained they'd been to school here. Now I knew it was an old school, and so it was great to hear their reminiscences of what life was like both at school and in the village. Turns out someone installed a waterwheel in the stream/river to generate electricity and light the village hall back in the 40s/50s - he's still alive in the nearby town and they say they'll ask him a few questions.

Best of all though was discovering that our bathroom was the local CoE church/kirk - albeit only an altar and a cross - with large doors to shut it off during the week. Come Sunday and the local farmers nipped in for a sing and a kneel. Drinking a glass of wine while in the bath seems even more appropriate now!  extrahappy

I also asked them about the heating. Apparently there was a tall coke burner, stood on a large piece of stone and set well into the room with the flu at an angle up to the chimney. Exactly how I asked for it to be done.  banghead    Before that there had been a range set into an old hearth - which was removed because it took too long to heat up on cold mornings and dragged too much air straight up the chimney. Best of all, the old guy fell about laughing when I told them about our stove - he'd been told by his father that's just what used to happen with the old range. He really couldn't believe the builders had made a new 'cold hole' as he put it.

Hopefully there will be some old photos arriving soon, but direct links with the past are always very satisfying.

Simplicity, the ultimate refinement
Heinz

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »

I'm looking for some stainless sheeting, ideally. I intend to have some under the register plate also - it was galling to think that over half the heat from this is radiated/convected up the chimney.

Alternatively I could build a greenhouse around the chimney exterior and use the 'lost' heat for plants.  garden

Or you could do both ?

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: