navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thermal Store - Overall Control and Weather Compensation System?  (Read 15403 times)
martin W

what do you mean my snoring is too loud!

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »

Also would two pumps on the central heating (one per xzone) be ultimatly more effective and reliable instead of 4 way mixing valve, plus the two zone valves? I suppose it will depend a lot on heat demand of the zones. My cheap Wilo Smart pump uses around 35 watt on speed one, I think the latest Grunfos are around 15 watt or less so runing cost owuld be paid for in savings on valves etc.

Woodstove owner since Feb 2011 Tongue (yes it's finally off the pallet)
Solar Water Heating since 17th March 2009, 2.94kW PV since Dec 2011
Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
Now an Lister wannabie Tongue
wookey

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 02:38:39 AM »

I've spent a long time thinking about this stuff too, and made a long list of tank suppliers about 3 years ago. I failed to find a tank I liked at a price I was prepared to pay, but several new suppliers have appeared since. http://www.navitron.org.uk/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=SolarThermal.Tanks
If you wanted to update the wiki with the new prices/suppliers you've found that would be useful.

You might want to check out the idea in the Rebus project as one nice way of designing a system: http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2630.0

Wookey
dan_c

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »

I've just realized there have been several replies since my last post - thanks for your comments. I have only skimmed over and will read through them all in more detail shortly.

For now I will answer the question/point about insulation:

I have draft proofed the whole house as best I can now - this was done before redecorating so it was fairly comprehensive. I have approx 450mm of insulation in the whole attic (excluding 100mm Celotex in my small boarded out area). I have replaced approx 20x 1990s double glazed windows with new in the last eight months, and fitted a new well insulated composite front door. My wall construction is brick, 65mm cavity, 125mm lightweight insulation block, dry lined and skimmed. There is no insulation in the wall cavities though and I can't add any as the brickwork has 10-15mm recessed pointing and so nobody will fill the cavities. Total external wall area is in the region of 280 square metres - that's big money to rake out and re-point. Sad
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: