navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water Saving  (Read 2564 times)
astra

« on: June 07, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »

I want to save my bathwater to flush my toilet but I live on the 1st floor of my house and want a tank in the Garage down stairs to collect the water from the bath, then a small amount would need to be sent back up stairs when i need to flush the toilet - How could i do this please.

My house only has the Garage and Hallway downstairs all room upstairs - i can access the waste water plumbing from the small loft directly below the Bathroom
dhaslam

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »

Wouldn't it be better to save roof water instead?   Bath water contains bacteria   that adds a level of complexity to the exercise.     

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
M

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »

The cheap and extremely unsexy method would be to leave the water in the bath, until the next bath is required. Then chuck 1 or 2 buckets of scooped water down the toilet as required. Maybe a curved or square sided bucket to suit bath base profile. Instant solution but you will have to explain the half full bath to visitors.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Gambot

It's been very windy round here recently

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »

Just fit a shower to the bath taps (if you don't have a perm. shower), then what you save by using a shower instead of a bath will allow you to flush the toilet in the normal way and still save water, plus you will save energy on water heating as well......or use the toilet at work....and feed the tomato plants in the garden...

4 kWp - 10+6 Sanyo HIT H250E01 PV - Aurora PVI 3.6 OUTD Inverter - 40 Slope - SSW 193 - Lat 51N - South Hampshire
12kW Woodburner (not installed yet)
wookey

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:07:46 AM »

M's method works well. You can keep the water for a few days before it goes manky (longer in winter, shorter in summer). It is difficult to keep bathwater in a tank without it going very manky, so it really is best used quickly or chucked. To do it with a tank means getting into water treatment (UV filters etc), or regularly emptying a very stinky tank.

To make the 'use a bowl from the bath' method work you need to train everybody in the house up. We use a hoover nozzle shoved on the bog handle as a reminder not to use it as reflex action (when there is bath/shower water available).

Wookey
astra

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »

Wouldn't it be better to save roof water instead?   Bath water contains bacteria   that adds a level of complexity to the exercise.     

I suppose i could,but i still need the water pumped upstairs
wattever

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »

Why not collect rainwater and divert it into the tank in your garage. Connect a booster pump to the tank and the other end to the loo. When you flush, pump starts up and fills cistern, then stops. Simple. Bit expensive though. Here's one cheaper than most. http://tinyurl.com/cnxe8un
You could also use bathwater if you insist.

wattever

4kW Sanyo HIT 6sqm homemade flat panels Rayburn log boiler, two Aarrow wood stoves
Half hectare mixed hardwood coppice, 9 year rotation. 3.5 cu m Rainwater harvesting. MHRV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: