navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Store Volume v Insulation.  (Read 1956 times)
Stochengberge

« on: June 11, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »

At last making proper headway and getting final quotes for the small thermal store / buffer vessel for my WBS project.

And then a supplier throws a spanner in the works... Undecided
The hole the cylinder has got to fit in is only so big. WBS with 8kW to water.
If I have what is the pretty well standard 50mm insulation, I get 145litres capacity, but if I drop this down to 25mm, I get 200litres - a 38% increase in volume!!!

The standard answer for a Thermal Store always seems to be "as big as possible" - but at what cost? The cylinder will be boxed in, in a cupboard, which would help negate the heat loss.

So, the question is in the title - do I go for volume or insulation?

Cheers,

SB.

More details at:- http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17325.0.html
I've gone for the store option!!!!

On the North Downs of Kent with 3.2kWp facing 12' west of south @ 33', 36 x 58mm Thermal tubes on an east / west split, 300ltr triple coil DHWC and an 8kW to water WBS.
Countrypaul

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:56 PM »

The way you describe things suggest that the choice is for conventional round cylinders. Given that it will be boxed in, is there any scope for a square one which might make better use of the space and give you both the volume and the insulation?

Paul
wookey

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:42:40 AM »

Some stores have removable insulation so you get the tank in, then slide the insulation over the top. You can buy a bare store, box it in and fill in your own insulation, which can give very good levels, but is a faff for maintenance. 50mm is an absolute minimum for store insulation IMHO. I would never fit less than 80mm, and preferably a lot more. Stores lose a lot of heat because they are hot.

Wookey
brackwell

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 02:25:26 PM »

Wookey,
I agree with that but add that a lot is lost through the pipes by conduction.  Insulation does not help very much with this as it just allows the heat to conduct further down the pipe.  Ideally one needs a thermal break but at least plastic pipe will help.

Ken
sbchapman

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »

Dumb question ... but can you go for a taller (and possibly smaller diameter) store?
This would give you double win - more storage with better insulation and better thermal stratification meaning the store would be more effective at providing hot water (relative to the overall volume) and allow better efficiency should you choose to install solar thermal. Tall and thin is good, short and fat is bad - sure there's a metaphor there somewhere Smiley

It might have a negative effect on WBS temperature and thus cleanburn leading to sooting etc. though ..

Thermal: 4x Schott ETC16
PV: 3.9 kWp (20xSchott Mono Perform 195Wp)
Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
1 anemometer (sadly no turbine)
Stochengberge

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:19 PM »

Thanks for the responses so far.

To try and answer some of the questions raised:-
Given that it will be boxed in, is there any scope for a square one which might make better use of the space and give you both the volume and the insulation?
Only that it seems they are considerably more expensive, but I get your point. I will look into this further tho'.

You can buy a bare store, box it in and fill in your own insulation, which can give very good levels, but is a faff for maintenance.
Hmm, 3 sides of the box are existing and I haven't got a mass of room behind the cylinder, so could easily end up with air gaps if the insulation doesn't drop down properly.

It might have a negative effect on WBS temperature and thus cleanburn leading to sooting etc. though ..
Anyone got any thoughts on this? I suppose with lots of stratification it could take longer for the return temperature to come up.

The space it has got to go in is only 450mmx500mmx1.8m...

Cheers,

SB.

On the North Downs of Kent with 3.2kWp facing 12' west of south @ 33', 36 x 58mm Thermal tubes on an east / west split, 300ltr triple coil DHWC and an 8kW to water WBS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: