navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batteries, Suggestions Please.  (Read 6313 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »

Hi clockman

I am still not so sure what you want to do ...... , do i understand it right , that you like to mix old and new batteries ?
To just increase the capacity ?

I think you will not find many friends of this idea ..... Tongue

A bit mad  ,  to just buy expensive new ones to ad to the old one    Roll Eyes , wouldnt it be better to get a new big battery

a 800-900 ah 48 Volt   forklift  one should cost below 2500 GBP.......(ex delivery) as far as i know  (stephends supplier from Greece is quite good , price  wise )

No i do not know the price from the German link i provided , but know a few people in Germany that are very happy with those SPzS cells  and not too expensive , give them a ring , i am sure they speak English

On the otherhand  , but i am not an expert on this , why not extend the old battery  with second hand ones .....  and get them cheap and get a more time  out of the total bank ....  perhaps  ........

Not sure what i will do , if my second hand forklift one dies one day  .... Roll Eyes ,   perhaps second hand LiFePO4  then , out of electric cars , that do not manage to supply the distance  range anymore    Roll Eyes  , or another lucky find of value (scrap prices are high like others said )  in form of lead acid .....

The average night time consumption  in our house is about 2 kwh ( if we get a better computer and other TV , fridge, probably half  ,  so the Pv is mainly supplying our daily loads direct   during 3/4 of the year  and i  think  getting even more is also not a bad idea ....... and keep watchin  for cheap batteries  .........

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Eleanor

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 11:13:29 PM »

Having just got a bank which is actually does what it should have done in first place I now find I have a life  horror
If buying new I think it's advisable to go with an established supplier and not be too tempted to go on price alone. Paul, looking forward to seeing the new (Chinese) wind turbine. Life will never be boring again  Wink

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »

Paul,
    I bought a forklift(72v) and 2 x 48vpacks about 4 years ago,total price was 1400euros for the lot,including the forklift which did all the lifting. the 2 x 48 packs were 500 euros for the pair and the forklift was 900 euros,I got approx 500 euros for the scrap 48vpack and i never had any bother so far,so the whole shebang batterywise cost me 900euros and i still have an eletric forklift truck complete to play with.I never even took the batteries out of the truck,just used the big charger cable to connect the lot up to 120vdc and into the controllers.I have 3 power sources going into this bank at present and 3 seperate controllers, but i have a feeling that one of the dump loads in one of the controllers is kicking in too quickly and not allowing my water heater controller in the house to reach its 138vdc dump load point.
     Ironically, you can buy the compete forklifs as cheap if not cheaper than a pack and while it is in the forklift you can get a good chance to test it like I did.The only problem i found with the electric forklift is that they sink in any kind of soft ground.I ended up buying a gas/petrol F20 to do any real work.Of course i still have a little toyota 1.5 which i bought with brand new batts,You would not believe the time you can save by buying the whole forklift, just park it next to where you want it and connect it up and of course if you want to do a bit of heavy lifting ,just pull the anderson plug on the solar and lift till your hearts content.
  For a little while,she was hinting to me that i might have to join "forklifts anonymous"
                                                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 06:21:31 AM »

Aye Biff I can see where you're coming and the logic, though I'm a little surprised that you didn't mount the wind turbine on the forklift too that way you have an easily lowerable 'plug and play' system  hysteria  hysteria

However I'm trying to clear away all my carp from around the croft not acquire more, though I have to admit I like the idea of just driving the batteries up to the new house  Grin But me I'm old fashioned and like to have the right tool for the job

when I need a forklift I'll get one of these  Wink

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clockmanFR

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »

Hi billi,
I have 6 strings of 4, 12v = 48v, at present, but very soon i will need to replace at least one string as the batts just will not hold the amps like they used to.

So do i buy a new 48v string to add to my good ones, or as you say replace the whole lot with a complete new 48v bank at say 900ah. hmm 2500, so i better start saving my penny's.

Anyone know what the scrap value is per weight of battery?

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »

Eye  Eye Clockman,
                   I got 500euros for a dud 48pack hawker powersafe 750ah+ over a year ago.Why not buy a 48vforklift and drive it right into where you want the batts,Some forklift have a power meter that can tell you how much sap is left in the pack after horsing it about for 30 mins. That way you will know exactly what you are buying and when you use it for wind power or solar,you will never abuse it in ten years like a forklift abuses it in one week. Shocked
                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: