navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: off-grid dump load query  (Read 10078 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »

Yo Alan,
       I did send you the email addy and phone number in a pm,did you get it?
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Eleanor

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »

I've just been for a walk and had a laugh at my myself over the little Ponzi scheme I suggested - I think it might end up in situation where you could be using the batteries to charge the batteries. It's one of Billi's perptuum mobiles I think  ralph It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't had the same idea a few months ago and realised before posting. Must be my age  Roll Eyes

Alan, with just one 1kW of PV installed we haven't run the generator for about 3 months and there has only been a handful of days where the battery hasn't been fully charged. We use around 2 kWh/day. If we'd installed the PV earlier I'm not sure we would have bothered with another turbine but having said that the weather has been exceptional here and I'm sure we will be needing it later in the year.

Paul, glad I'm not the only one who does these silly things. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even started the Mantis. I've been busy in the greenhouse moving things on but next week will be intensive ground preparation so they've got somewhere to go. I shall post some pics of progress  garden

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
AlanM

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »

Hi Biff,
Yes thanks for that. Gave them a call and they can do a 1kw immersion at 48v, either short 11" or long 27". Yours are at a higher voltage  i seem to remember.

At the moment, the pv is giving me more than enough power, but the house is not particulary well staffed with electrical things, so heating water saves me heating it with wood, so should lower wood consumption somewhat.

Alan
AlanM

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »

Oh well, caley marina dont have one, they just use the dip switches,
Dont suppose any one has one a could borrow for a few days? I dont suppose it is  something that is needed much after the initial set up as long as the system stays the same?
Or is it in use often , to tweak things.
Can anyone enlighten me as to how often they use one, if they have it ?

Alan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »

Oh well, caley marina dont have one, they just use the dip switches,
Dont suppose any one has one a could borrow for a few days? I dont suppose it is  something that is needed much after the initial set up as long as the system stays the same?
Or is it in use often , to tweak things.
Can anyone enlighten me as to how often they use one, if they have it ?

Alan

I probably can post mine  ...... but expect postage costs from Ireland and return   are half the Product costs  whistlie.....

And i am sure , at the moment you post it back to me , you will miss it

Buy one  ,   its handy to have .... and i use it quite often

its around 45 GBP  Huh     I found one in Germany (Private sale ) for 30 Euro  .....  i can ask if still available ....

Billi

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
AlanM

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »

Had a look online, seems to be about 52GBP from a couple of places,(Kuranda, batt megastore) unless anyone knows somewhere better. Will have to get one then, oh well...

Thanks, billi, you're right about postage! Tell me more about the one in germany?

Alan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/berlin/boote-bootszubehoer/u10638803

an ad   placed  start of may ,   not sure if still around .......    

or here German online shop

http://www.burmeister-elektronik.com/Inverter.html

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:41:58 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Eleanor

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »

Alan, you can borrow ours if you want. If you PM your address I'll get it in the post and you will probably receive it on Weds  fingers crossed!

AlanM

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »

Hi Eleanor,
Will send PM Smiley Thanks,
Billi, the shop was at 57, so not much diff from over here. Had a look at first link but my german not up to understanding the text Sad

Will prob get one as well at some point though.
Alan
Eleanor

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »

There will now be a brief interlude while I go to the Post Office  tumble

Mike McMillan

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 06:14:32 AM »

Alan, I have one, live off grid in Osborne Bay, but working hull time oh yacht Eleonora this summer. Am around for the next few days before heading back to the med.  phone me 07973877686 and figure out a way to pick it up. Boat is alongside at Trinity wharf for the next 2 days...
Mike

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
AlanM

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »

Hi Mike, Thanks for offer, Eleanor has sent me her one so will reprogramme in next couple of days. Wheres Osborne bay btw?

Alan
Mike McMillan

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »

Are, IOW. Thought you were Alan from the island, to many Alan's!!

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: