navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Veggie Curry  (Read 5571 times)
Ivan
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »

Recipe

200ml oil
1/2 onion
1 tin chopped tomatoes
100ml lentils
1 small potato
250ml water
1/2 teaspoon Garum Masalar
1 teaspoon Chilli powder
1 teaspoon Paprika powder
3/4 teaspoon Ginger
Pinch mixed herbs
3 large mushrooms

Pictures to follow....
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 12:51:08 AM »

I decided to give it a go, as we started the day with 3 hours of glorious sunshine. But by the time I had started (12.30), the sky had clouded over, and remained so for the rest of the day, with a couple of 10minute exceptions. As a result, it took 5hours from start to finish, but at least demonstrated that solar cooking is possible even on overcast days.

http://www.navitron.org.uk/solar_curry.htm for the full story (lots of pictures)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 02:22:05 AM by Ivan » Logged
chaso

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:08:53 AM »

So Ivan, when are you coming out with your first edition of the 'Solar vegie cook book' ?   

The step by step pictures make it so much easier to follow.

You would be surprised how many kids do like curries, ours were eating them at the age of two.

Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 09:46:41 AM »

Ivan

How about manufacturing a dedicated solar cooking pot?
  • Shorter and wider (cleanable at the bottom!)
  • Oval in shape (to give more sun capture area)
  • Include a supporting base and lid

You could be onto a world leading product here, could be sold in every caravan and camping shop  Cheesy

Ant

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
Flamethrower_

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 08:06:03 AM »

Ivan,

Is your tube upside down in the curry ? ( or did you cook it in Australia laugh )

I didn't think the heat pipe was  meant to work upside down ?

Have you proved  the possibility of inverted manifolds ?

Rob
Amaterasu

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »

Ivan - congrats glad to see you are keeping up the good work.

I'm sure I read somewhere in the competition rules ( for cooking in a tube) that employees / management and families of navitron cannot participate in promotions and competitions.

So I guess that leaves me in the lead still.

PS when was the closing date ?    Roll Eyes

Geoff.........
Ivan
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 11:25:21 PM »

Damn - you found me out. I was looking forward to winning the tax-free 10 000 prize. Maybe I'll have to rethink the prize....

Didn't the competition rules forbid moderators winning the prizes, in case it is seen as favoritisms!

It would be nice to have a few more entries - anyone else feel like stepping up to the challenge?

I have another solar culinary extravaganza planned for the weekend....stay tuned!

By the way, anyone know how to contact Jamie Oliver for some novel cooking publicity? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: