navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: off grid spec for chewing  (Read 27749 times)
greenhouseparos

« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »

I think Rudolf is going to have a problem with that. 60x 80kg= a big f88king sledge.
just as an idea though they cost 300e each so that will be 18000e and you could defiantly get a discount with that large an order.... hysteria

cheers for the link paul

paul

2660wp array, 1000amp 24v Ops battery bank, 3500XTM Struder24v, 80amp Outback, 750w Wind Turbine, Solar powered water supply
Off Grid and loving it
greenhouseparos

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2013, 07:32:04 PM »

Need some advice for selecting a backup generator for this system.
Not sure how to size one. Was thinking it would need to be at least equal to the array wattage.
This system is not going to have much attention from the owner

Thanks
Paul   

2660wp array, 1000amp 24v Ops battery bank, 3500XTM Struder24v, 80amp Outback, 750w Wind Turbine, Solar powered water supply
Off Grid and loving it
rogeriko

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:53 AM »

Looking at the photos I cannot see a current shunt installed on the battery wires. You must have a current shunt when you are directly charging batteries otherwise the 5048 dosnt know the state of charge. It was designed to be used with Sunny Boys but when you direct charge it will not be able to measure charge amps. Go to meters, battery and charge amps on a sunny day and it will not be registering the solar amps. You have to get this corrected if you want to install an autostart generator or a Sunny Boy. Read the installation manual about current shunt.

* DSCF4698.JPG (88.68 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 548 times.)

* shunt.jpg (6.57 KB, 225x201 - viewed 546 times.)

greenhouseparos

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »

thanks for pointing that out Roger.

Paul

Off Grid and loving it
greenhouseparos

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »

I remember reading somewhere on the SMA site (but can't find the info now) that when connecting SB's to the sunny island the transformerless ones (which in principle can be connected) cannot be controlled. The ones with transformer can. Anyone know if this is correct?
Also the SB2500 with transformer appears to have been removed from their site. Has it been discontinued?
Also when connecting panels to an inverter to connect to a sunny island does it have to be a SMA SB inverter or are there alternitives?
Thanks
Paul

Off Grid and loving it
stephendv

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »

The transformerless inverters can also be connected to SI, here's a complete list of the compatible sunny boys: http://files.sma.de/dl/7910/SB-OffGrid-TI-en-32.pdf

AFAIK, only the sunny boy inverters will adapt their output based on the frequency exactly as the SI expects them to, so they can do all the charge stages smoothly with no problems.  And this ONLY works if the sunny boys have specifically been programmed for off-grid mode.  I think some other inverters might adjust their output in stages, e.g. the Kaco's will go from 100% to 50% to off depending on the frequency, but nothing in between.  And I think all the new german inverters will have to do something similar because of one of the new grid tie rules they have.
So any old G83 inverter will work with the SI, but it will constantly be turning on and off as soon as the SI tries to regulate the battery voltage, for absorb or float.  So the grid inverter would supply 100% power during bulk, then as soon as the sunny island changes to absorb it will increase the frequency to try and reduce the output just a little.  But since a normal grid inverter can't reduce it's output, it'll just switch off as soon as the frequency increases too much.  Then the battery voltage drops, the SI changes frequency back to 50Hz and the GTI waits for it's internal timer (maybe 5 minutes) to timeout, then it checks the frequency sees everything is fine and comes on again at 100% power, and the cycle continues.

If the GTI is the only power source then this can age the battery prematurely because of the continual, charge/discharge cycles.  BUT if you had another charging source then this won't be so bad.  E.g. if you had some solar connected to the battery through a charge controller and only used the GTI as a supplementary charger, then the on-off switching won't matter, because the directly connected solar could take the battery through absorb; and the GTI will just help out during bulk.

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
greenhouseparos

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »

I am going to connect a SB2100tl to the system. Am I right in thinking the AC output is parelled connected with the 5048 output in the consumer unit?
Paul

Off Grid and loving it
nowty

« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »

Generally yes, but really depends on how your system is wired up.

The AC output of the Sunny Boy needs to first go through an AC isolator and circuit breaker, for a SB2100tl model I would suggest one rated at 10 amps, then be connected to the supply side of your AC system which is in parallel with your 5048 output. I would then feed it though an RCD and maybe individual circuit breakers to your load side.

Note - I personally don't actually use an AC isolator but use two MCBs, one for live and one for neutral. The neutral one would never trip but its an easy cheap way of being able to isolate both live and neutral feeds without having a separate AC isolator.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:53:24 PM by nowty » Logged

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
greenhouseparos

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2013, 07:13:45 AM »

Had a small set back to deal with. We have fitted a SB2100TL to the system but unfortunately during the ordering our request for it to be preset at the factory for of grid use was not passed to the factory. This meant we had to apply for a code from SMA which took an amazingly long time to come through and then borrow a service cable from the local SMA office. (I have to say it wasn't SMA's fault in the first place and they have been very helpful).
The SB is now set for off grid.
Then after some further confusion (on our part) about the earthing arrangements (thanks Stephendv)  we have managed to get everything working. Well almost.
Yesterday I switched on the SB for the first time and the SI immediately started to charge the batteries (at about 60v if I remember correctly). Normally I would be happy about this because this is what should happen but the batteries were already at a float charge 54.4v.
I understand that the SB is controlled with frequency which is controlled by the SI.
Question for anyone familiar with SMA. Is this Frequency shifting automatic or do I need to set any of the parameters for it to work?
We have fitted a shunt so the SI knows what the outback charger is doing and on the SI screen -1800w was shown when the SB was working so the SI knows there is extra power being fed to the system.
Paul   

Off Grid and loving it
stephendv

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »

Glad to hear it's sort-of working Smiley

I've not connected a sunny boy to SI before, but I believe that you don't need to change anything on the SI.  Bear in mind that the voltage the SI chooses to charge at, and when it chooses to charge is all based on it's own internal charging algorithm and its SoC meter.  So first thing t check is that when you see a high battery voltage that the SI is actually in charge mode, either boost or full.  And what exactly are the charge voltage settings for those two charge profiles?

If you saw 60V at the batteries and the SI was in boost mode and the boost mode charge voltage is 60v then all is right with the world.
If you saw 60V at batteries, but the SI was in float mode, or boost mode is configured for a 58V charge (taking temperature into account), then there could be a problem with the frequency shifting.  You could diagnose it by checking the frequency reported by the SI to identify whether it's the SI that's not setting the frequency correctly, or whether its the sunny boy not obeying the frequency.

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
camillitech

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2013, 07:32:10 AM »

I'm sure Stephendv will be along shortly to confirm Paul and I await his reply eagerly. FWIW I think the SI and SB are doing just what they are designed to and doing it correctly, no more settings required. The SI has it's own way of charging batteries and it's not always to everyones liking.

Good luck, Paul
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:33:51 AM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: