navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help, battery conundrum, its too big for the hole!  (Read 6717 times)
clivejo

« on: June 30, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »

As some of you might be aware I have a Bedford CF electric van.  Its been laying up for some time and two tyres are flat, so I have put it up on blocks.  Using a pallet truck I jacked the battery tray up and removed the 3 pins.  Simple job you might think, but no !!!  No-one told me the pins are locked into place and you have to pull out a wee pin with a hole in it!!  

So after a week and a bit of dodging torrential rain and getting soaked in the process I finally got the pins out.  Now my next problem is how to get the f'in thing out !!!  The tray is too big to fit between the wheels !!  Who ever designed this needs a kick in the behind!  banghead

I cant drop it to the ground and roll the van over it because two of the wheels (drivers front and back) are flat and currently on blocks.  Unfortunately, where she is at the moment I cant get any heavy equipment near it i.e. tractor or digger.  So person power only.  Any ideas?

* BedfordCFTrayProblem.jpg (120.87 KB, 905x493 - viewed 410 times.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:50:06 PM by clivejo » Logged

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
danny stardust

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »

Temporarily refit the battery tray, remove the pallet truck and those old breeze blocks, then using a trolley jack raise the vehicle up high and place on sturdy blocks to support the van chassis (do not use bricks as they can crumble and cause the vehicle to drop which is obviously dangerous), then remove van wheels, re- insert pallet truck, release battery tray, lower and then drag it out, sit down with a cool beer to celebrate your endeavours......

2006 - 2011: 5 years of using 1.16Kwh of leccy a day. And still alive! Edit. Now 6 years and average down to 1.11Kwh a day. Still got a pulse!
clivejo

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 05:13:22 PM »

Temporarily refit the battery tray, remove the pallet truck and those old breeze blocks, then using a trolley jack raise the vehicle up high and place on sturdy blocks to support the van chassis (do not use bricks as they can crumble and cause the vehicle to drop which is obviously dangerous), then remove van wheels, re- insert pallet truck, release battery tray, lower and then drag it out, sit down with a cool beer to celebrate your endeavours......

I broke the blocks, it was starting to rain and I was in a mood so I threw it on the ground.  It was just to hold the tray on the four corners while I cursed the weather and scratched my head.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:17:03 PM by clivejo » Logged

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »

REMOVE THE WHEELS, small bottle jack, two small axle stands and slide out pallet truck and batteries  Wink

Cheers, Paul

Edit, in fact remove just the back wheel and turn the steering wheel hard over, it will probably come out then.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:15:43 PM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clivejo

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »

I was actually in the process of trying to take off the back wheel, but I'm running out of jacks and I cant find a socket set to fit the nuts!

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »

The first thing to do(after getting the pins back in position) is pump up the tyres or fix the puntures,then gently move the old girl into some place where you can work at it in comfort wheither it rains or not.
                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »

Hi CJ,

that looks like a fully floating rear axle, which was only ever fitted as standard to the pick up version. You can remove the half shaft, six x 9/16" bolts, undo the large retaining nuts off the hub after bending the tab washer and slide the whole thing off complete with hub and drum.

Well you can if the brake shoes aren't seized onto the drum  fume

Good luck, the old CF, that takes me right back to my yoof, a great van in it's time, well as great as any vehicle was in the early seventies  hysteria

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
danny stardust

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »

I was actually in the process of trying to take off the back wheel, but I'm running out of jacks and I cant find a socket set to fit the nuts!

Tooling fail!!

As you do not have the proper engineering tools to raise the van, may I suggest an alternate idea. Do you have a pneumatic drill? If so how about breaking up that nice flat concrete slab and excavating an amount of soil that will allow the battery tray to be lowered enough to clear the van sills and wheels.

I will admit that I have had a couple of drinks whilst waiting on my dinner cooking on the woodburning stove and it may not be the most rational idea, so feel free to ignore my advice.  Wink

But for the record, earlier today I had to deal with a sunken moss covered VW van "art installation" in my own garden. It now has no wheels and is supported by some fine firewood tree rounds. The callipers have been removed and are destined for refurbishing as per the electrolysis rust removal thread.

That aside I am interested in seeing the leccy workings of this CF van you have. I rebuilt a 2.1 diesel CF engine as a lad, back in the day when reboring an engine was possible, not like all this modern throwaway rubbish.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:06:06 PM by danny stardust » Logged

2006 - 2011: 5 years of using 1.16Kwh of leccy a day. And still alive! Edit. Now 6 years and average down to 1.11Kwh a day. Still got a pulse!
clivejo

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 07:19:44 PM »

That aside I am interested in seeing the leccy workings of this CF van you have. I rebuilt a 2.1 diesel CF engine as a lad, back in the day when reboring an engine was possible, not like all this modern throwaway rubbish.

Not much left of the controller to be honest, several people have tried and failed to fix her.  I'm hoping the batteries can be salvaged otherwise its to the scrap man.  She has got a brute of a DC motor hanging out her backside and the charger is around here somewhere.  If someone likes a challenge and wants her, or parts of her, now's the time to let me know!

Biff, she was parked inside a shed, but said shed decided it didn't like the location and moved, so now she's not !  Don't ask questions its a very sore subject with me!

Some decent photos of her design here - http://www.looneyland.freeserve.co.uk/bedford.htm

knighty

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

do you have any up to date photos ?  any idea of the range ? (with decent batteries in it)
clivejo

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »

do you have any up to date photos ?  any idea of the range ? (with decent batteries in it)

No idea, she never run as long as I remember!  I think the chassis is too far gone to consider patching her up.

clivejo

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 08:38:52 PM »

Any idea how to pop the bonnet?

marcus

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »

Hi, Whereabouts are you (or is the van )? - If you're near west wales I might be interested in the van/parts...

any idea of the range ? (with decent batteries in it)

I think a chap who had one of these re-batteried with yuasa en160Ah AGM's reckoned he could just about manage 50miles (if very careful).

m
camillitech

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »

Any idea how to pop the bonnet?

Morning CJ,

depends on the year and spec, early ones you access from outside via a sliding catch in the center of the grill at the top, just where the mechanism is. That's quite obvious so I'm assuming yours is the later one. These are usually a plastic curved lever near the A post (that's the bit that the front door hinges on, assuming you do not have the sliding door version) down by the pedals. The lever is black, around 4" long and can be on either side though normally it was on the drivers side. They were held on to a poxy bracket with a 'spire' clip and prone to breaking, however even without the handle you could generally find the cable and give a good tug with mole grips.

Good luck, Paul

clivejo

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »

Hi, Whereabouts are you (or is the van )? - If you're near west wales I might be interested in the van/parts...

North-west Ireland in the county of Fermanagh.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: