navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help, battery conundrum, its too big for the hole!  (Read 6719 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »

It be lake dustrick of Oirelon Thuir,
                          Biff angel

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clivejo

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »

Biff, did you get lost today?  I waited til noon and you didn't show up!!  crack

So anyways, after biff didnt show up I had to tackle it on my own.  After much sweat, tears and blood, I finally got the *beeping* *beep* of a *beepin* *beep* *beep* out from under her belly.  The weather decided to help by lucubrating proceedings.  Now need to pick more brains.

What is this loop of pipes for?  There is one left and right in the centre of the battery?

* BedfordCF2Batt.jpg (46.9 KB, 412x465 - viewed 322 times.)

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
danny stardust

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »

What is this loop of pipes for?  There is one left and right in the centre of the battery?

It could well be the battery top up system as mentioned in your link on the previous page.

"The first vehicles required these to be removed to allow them to be topped up with distilled water but this was a long and laborious job so Chloride invented the centralized watering system known as Autofil"

2006 - 2011: 5 years of using 1.16Kwh of leccy a day. And still alive! Edit. Now 6 years and average down to 1.11Kwh a day. Still got a pulse!
clivejo

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »

Yes, I guess thats what the 3 auto fillers and pipework is for but what are the two extra white things for?

* BedfordCF2Batt2.jpg (47.59 KB, 412x465 - viewed 306 times.)

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
camillitech

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »

Biff, did you get lost today?  I waited til noon and you didn't show up!!  crack

So anyways, after biff didnt show up I had to tackle it on my own.  

Was it windy CJ  Huh he probably had to stay at home to nurse his turbine  hysteria definitely the 'autofill'  Wink

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
danny stardust

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 10:30:01 PM »

If your van needs a new controller then check this out. It's only a 500 page thread but a fine read.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/paul-sabrinas-cheap-diy-144v-motor-controller-6404.html

The only trouble is it will probably take as much time to read that thread as it will to weld that van of yours back to MOT standard.  hysteria

I am pretty sure somebody will be interested in the electrical gubbins in your van. It would be nice to see at least some of it recycled in some way rather than scrapped.

2006 - 2011: 5 years of using 1.16Kwh of leccy a day. And still alive! Edit. Now 6 years and average down to 1.11Kwh a day. Still got a pulse!
clivejo

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »

I am pretty sure somebody will be interested in the electrical gubbins in your van. It would be nice to see at least some of it recycled in some way rather than scrapped.

There's not much of the electrics any good.  I think a bird has tried nesting in it!!  The back axle and DC motor would probably be useful to someone thought or some of the internal controls, knobs and buttons!

* BedfordCF2ElectricController.jpg (39.39 KB, 318x442 - viewed 309 times.)

* BedfordCF2Dash.jpg (64.85 KB, 746x552 - viewed 297 times.)

marcus

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 12:36:33 AM »

rats! why is everything always too far away?  Angry

oh well.
clivejo

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »

Yes it would.  I've found two problems and they both with the battery.  One was that a pole on one of the batteries was damaged, the other was there is a fuse at the back of the battery bank has been damaged too.  Once I sorted these I got a voltage of 4v across the 216v bank!  I have two cut out and on pulse charging at the moment, they seem to be holding the charge ok and maxing out the trickle charger.

Anyone any ideas how to remove the battery connections, I've tried a blow torch to melt the solder but its damaging the battery.  There must be a better way!

clivejo

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »

The only way I can get the batteries out is to cut the interconnections. They seem to be manufactured like this.  Unfortunately the cable tails are too short to reconnect in a tidy way.

I've cut off the insulation and seals from around the terminals (see photo), but now I need a nice tidy and electrically sound way to connect them up again in their new home.  Anyone got any ideas?

* BattConnections.jpg (61.56 KB, 758x495 - viewed 231 times.)

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »

Hi Clive,
         You can use a hole saw and drill down vertically from the top leaving a nice round pole that will take the ordinary battery connector,
       the hole saw is a hollow drill like a hacksaw blade and you can have different pole sizes for N  and P.
      You best do it while the batts are flat.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clivejo

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 05:05:41 PM »

You can use a hole saw and drill down vertically from the top leaving a nice round pole that will take the ordinary battery connector

emmm I dont think I could !!  How do I keep it drilling vertical, wouldn't I need a bench and rig/jig or something?  This is the part of engineering were I fail!

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »

Its simple enough Clive.
                       Just pick the diameter of the pole you want and choose the hole saw to match,The hole saw has a little pilot bit inside and the lead is soft.It will only take a few minutes with each one useing a good cordless and a steady hand.
       You could try it out on one of the dud batts to get the hang of it.
                                            Biff

camillitech

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 05:23:03 PM »

Pair of these,

Best £30 I've spent on Chinese carp in my life  Grin (about £150 from RS)

and some of these

Once you have bought a decent crimping tool you will never look back  Wink

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
danny stardust

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »

What diameter are the terminal poles? You could hacksaw off the angled tails and with a few strokes with a rough file be left with nice round poles that may accept the standard positive or negative pole terminal. The posts are normally tapered but the connections may deform enough to create a suitable contact area depending on design.
Careful use of a marker pen to mark the battery's positive and negative terminals to avoid confusion at a later date may be prudent.

Hey camilitech, I'm checking out your Funk D'void (Original Disc Jockey & purveyor of the Luxury Techno sound) flyer in the back ground. Are you guilty of chucking shapes or dad dancing in the past?

I would have thought Gary Numan with his Are Friends Electric track would be more applicable to this battery derived thread.  hysteria

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: