navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: breaking-cern-to-announce-god-particle-found  (Read 4209 times)
AlanM

« on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/07/02/breaking-cern-to-announce-god-particle-found/#more-66677

"GENEVA (AP) — Scientists believe the “God particle” that might explain the underpinnings of the universe is real, and they are about to present their evidence to the world."
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:57:26 PM »

Getting closer.........

desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/video/2012/jul/03/what-is-a-higgs-boson-video

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »

Looks like they've nailed it, Sigma5 certainty in 2 different experiments detect "something" of the correct energy as predicted by the standard particle physics model. In other words "they nailed it" Whats the betting in a couple of decades they find out Higgs Bosons are made of Phlogiston.

I like the way  theories of the very small are tying up nicely with theories of the very big.
One day we may even work out what to do with it Grin

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »

From the horses mouth, otherwise Gavin will give me a hard time Wink

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2012/PR17.12E.html

and

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/background/B11-Higgs_understanding_begins_en.html

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Wickham

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »

The Higgs Boson is supposed to be the particle that gives (all) other particles mass, so they don't just spin around the universe aimlessly at the speed of light, but form matter.

However, I thought that photons did not have mass and do travel at the speed of light. I wonder why the Higgs Boson doesn't affect them?

Edit: I've just been reading that a Higgs Boson usually degrades into two photons. so a particle with mass degrades into two that don't have mass - very strange.

Also, given the huge numbers of photons in the universe being continuously created from all the stars that we see, the number of Higgs Bosons must be decreasing all the time. Does this mean that eventually the other particles won't have enough Higgs bosons to give them mass and consequently mean the end of all matter?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:20:57 PM by Wickham » Logged

14 Upsolar UP-M190M 190W panels total 2.66kWp and 13 Enecsys SMI-200/G83 and 1 SMI-240/G83 72 cell micro-inverters and website gateway unit, ground-mounted in early May 2011; 30 degree slope; 5 degrees east of south; 8 miles west of Salisbury
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:39 PM »

I guess that as the photon is a massless particle by definition it wouldn't interact with a particle that is responsible for giving matter(or other particles) mass, why that should be though is beyond me.

I've just been reading that a Higgs Boson usually degrades into two photons. so a particle with mass degrades into two that don't have mass - very strange.

That I think is a bit easier to explain, mass and energy are interchangeable so the excess mass could be radiated away as energy, or the mass of the Boson could be equivalent to the energy of both the photons.

After a couple of pints of ESB it's as clear as mud Grin

Why do you think that the Boson count goes down as the Photon count goes up? I think though that the extremely long term weather forcast for the Universe is for all the mass to evaporate away into energy, that is assuming Protons are not infinitely stable which the standard model predicts.

Who knows?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

St B will be along in a minute to tell me I am talking ballaeux Grin

Desp
Dpes
Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:46:44 AM »

I love all of this stuff! Any thing to do with physics, astro-physics, particle-physics, etc. I spent three years building spacecraft at SSTL and loved every second of it. I'd love to move on and spend a few years working on this project!
 As them that know tell, this discovery is only a small part of the potential use of the LHC. Therefore I think it's time to apply for a new job. AS a payer of great clods of cash to HMRC in the form of tax etc, I'd like these chaps to pop a couple of Higg's bosons in an envelope and send them to me; they'd look great on the mantle-piece, next to the clock.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »

I found this recently, I think it sums the Higgs Boson explanation reasonably!

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »

Ha ha ha, that's brilliant Nickel2. I'll go open a bottle of red, care to join us?? Cosmology and astrophysics is like that, it all seems so plausible while actually reading it, but three nanoseconds later its all gone..........................into the aether...................doh.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »

They seem to be even more convinced that the Boson actually exists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19076355

But even stranger is the discovery of the  Johnson buffoonino particle,
a mass of several Peta ev, a spin of nearly 2/3, and a charge of only 250quid a year?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19079733

I have it on good authority that the limpick park attracts these type of particles in quite large numbers but only for a fleeting week or two.

Edsp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »

Yet more support for the Higgs Boson,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/mar/14/scientists-particle-higgs-boson

Mind you what's the betting they bash it with a hammer and a couple of heavinos drop out?? facepalm facepalm

rasp teDee

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

wookey

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 02:57:32 AM »

I went to a brilliant lecture about this at the Cambridge Science festival last week. Amazingly it was one of the funniest things I've listened too for a long time, and definitely the funniest physics lecture I've ever seen. http://www.cam.ac.uk/sciencefestival/events/?uid=afae5ae5-2e3a-4756-acc8-fa79dcf2b011&date=2013-03-19  So if you ever get the chance to hear Dr Christopher Lester, I highly recommend it. Very magnus pyke but with better jokes. I also learned a huge amount about how the LHC actually works and what the experiments in it are, and what the theory of matter is and how it's advanced over last 3000 years.

And the evidence for the Higgs Boson: It's all entirely circumstantial. There are a range of charts of event frequencies that contain tiny blips away from the expected numbers. You'd be hard pressed to believe any of it showed anything except that all 6 charts show a tiny anomaly at the same atomic weight, which is in the region the HB should occupy. I hadn't realised that's it's pretty much the absence of probabalistic evidence that it's _not_ various things which amounts to the evidence for its existence. Which explains why it's taken a long time and they can never really be sure. We should get some marginally more convincing evidence in about 3 years time when they have had a chance to run the collider at full power for a while. (It's only been running at half power since they melted part if it).

And did you realise that the 14 billion electron-volts that the LHC generates means that a perfect head-on proton collision has the same energy as 7 mosquitos flying into 7 other mosquitos at an attack speed of 0.5m/s? i.e not that much really.

Wookey
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: