navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RHI accreditation has come through  (Read 4201 times)
BruceB

« on: July 05, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

My RHI accreditation came through today.  It is for a 22kW domestic heat pump.  I thought others may be interested because it falls into the 'commercial' category and therefore eligible now for RHI because I created a granny annex out of part of the house and my parents in law moved in.  The granny annex then got allocated its own council tax.  As we have x2 council taxes the system falls under the definition of 'district heating' and therefore eligible under the 'commercial' rules, even though the council tax  is zero because they are OAPs.  It was a bit of a marathon doing all the paperwork in the right order but hopefully will be worth it for the next 20 years.  OFGEM were ruthlessly pedantic about making sure all the boxes are ticked, but then it is public money.  There is no EPC requirement for commercial RHI, which from my perspective was a good thing because the building is listed.  Happy days.

Regards
Bruce
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:19:39 PM by BruceB » Logged
itsnewtome

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:12:52 PM »

Well done with that. Happy days ahead I feel
TurnkeyVegSets

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »

Is this an air-sourced heatpump or ground? What is EPC?
BruceB

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »

Ground source heat pump.  Air source heat pumps were not eligible for the commercial RHI.

EPC is Energy Performance Certificate.  I mentioned it because it was a requirement (at Level D)  brought in to get the maximum FIT with PV.  It is possible they are considering it for domestic RHI if/when that comes in.  There is a logic in requiring an EPC because the RHI pays based on the heat you generate so without an energy efficiency requirement there is less incentive to insulate your building well.

Regards
Bruce
rob75

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »

Is there any news on the RHI for domestic installations?

Thanks,

Rob.
BruceB

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »

Without checking specifically, the last I heard was with Green Deal sometime in 2013
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »

congrats.

So commercial RHI applies to district heating, and that's only defined as 2 or more properties...?

very interesting.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
BruceB

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »

The definition is of course a bit more involved, but x2 council tax bandings was critical.  See:
http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/e-serve/RHI/howtoapply/Documents1/RHI_Guidance_Document_Vol_One.pdf
and on page 39:
"Similarly, where premises comprise a main property and adjoining property or properties (such as annexes, gatehouses, workers cottages etc.) which are themselves treated as self-contained units for Council Tax banding, each of these buildings will also be treated as 'single self-contained‘ premises for RHI purposes. Therefore, if each is 'used wholly or mainly as a private residential dwelling where the fabric of the building has not been significantly adapted for non-residential use', each will be treated as a separate 'domestic premises' under the RHI. On this basis, if each of these buildings is served by its own boiler, these boilers would not be eligible for support as each boiler would be generating heat 'solely for the use of one domestic premises.' However, if a single boiler provided heat to two or more self-contained units, this boiler would be treated as a district heating system serving multiple domestic premises and would be eligible for the RHI, subject to all other eligibility criteria being met."
Justme

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »

Wont the annex having its own council tax bill come back to bite you at some point in the future when the occupants are not your OAP inlaws & so have a bill you need to pay?

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
BruceB

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

Perhaps, but if we rent it out to tenants then they would be responsible for the council tax.
Justme

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »

Yes if the intent is to let it out to paying tenants you would be ok.

More common is to use one as a teenage growing up pad before they are ready to actually make it on their own or as a guest accommodation.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print