navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get a solar oven?  (Read 13943 times)
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« on: July 09, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »

Hi
I have been asked if any solar ovens or bits of kit like parabolic mirrors are available commercially in the UK. They are available in the US. Anyone know of any suppliers? 
Sean

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
renewablejohn

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »

Plenty of commercial size ovens available using either Solar tubes or Solar PV to heat thermal oil

http://www.hebaco.nl/en/products/thermal-oil-oven/aero-static-en.pdf
StBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »

John
these look impressive but I think they are thinking of something a bit smaller and cheaper. Many thanks for you imput.
StB
P.S. My wood is not drying well at the moment - been a bit damo here in Northumberland

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
stephendv

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »

There are a few available from this spanish online shop: http://generador-electrico.com/tienda/index.php?cPath=61&sort=4a&language=uk

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
renewablejohn

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »

pleased we have the polytunnels to dry our timber but even they had a 1 inch deep river running through them with all this rain. Fortunately we use IBC containers that come with an inbuilt pallet so at least the split logs did not get wet.

As regards ovens just highlighting thermal oil is used commercially for cooking, laundry, power generation all of which can be achieved by standard solar tubes with a suitable thermal store.
dhaslam

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »

I am started  making a makeshift drying system for wood.     The  garden equipment side of the the pair of sheds is used as the source of  hot air.   The roof has to be painted black and  the external air gaps sealed up plus the thermostatically controlled fan isn't wired up yet.    In the other shed the air is split into two  land drain pipes that go under the wood.   
At present the wood is  at about 20% moisture or a bit over  so I hope to get it down to about 15% or lower.    Also the inside sore is connected to the  heat recovery system and now needs hot air from the back of the stove.   The target is to get the wood down to about 10% moisture or less.

* SolarDrying1.jpg (30.17 KB, 450x600 - viewed 1046 times.)

* SolarDry2.jpg (45.84 KB, 600x450 - viewed 1116 times.)

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
StBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »

DH
looks like a nice solution. Bit wet in your neck of the woods also. I was in Cashel over the weekend and Friday was a bit soft!
StB

Ivan

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 01:26:38 AM »

Sean,

I don't think there has ever really been a good market for it - most people DIY. Is this an option for you? The easiest source of parabolic reflector is an old satellite dish. Sky dishes lined with silver foil are quite good due to the offset focus point (avoids the food shading some of the incoming rays). If you want bigger, then old 70s and 80s 1m+ redundant satellite dishes you often find littering the roofs of universities are ideal (but check they are redundant before using them!!). The 1m dishes used to go very cheap on ebay as no-one wanted them, but they might be more in demand these days for receiving more dubious channels.

There used to be companies selling designs based on cardboard boxes lined with silver foil, using the box flaps as mirrors. As you can imagine, the marketability of this design was limited!

Tubes are the way to go, though (Of course, I'd say that):

http://www.navitron.org.uk/newsdetail.php?id=23 - I notice there are a few companies selling solar kettles to boil water,  since this article was written
http://www.navitron.org.uk/newsdetail.php?id=21 - Cooking a curry using tubes. It's not actually that difficult, and can be achieved under overcast summer skies (when the parabolic cookers don't tend to work). Put a parabolic mirror behind the tube to turbo-charge it! I cooked a curry like this for attendees of the Navitron party several years ago.

Attached picture: Solar Oven based on solar tubes. Made from 4" PUR sheeting held together with 6" nails. Piece of triple wall plastic to give insulated front door. Using tubes alone (no heatpipes) it made about 120C, but with heatpipes the temperature increased to around 160C maximum. The rate-limiting step was the heat transfer from the heatpipe tips to the surrounding air (we increased the temperature to about 180C by painting them black. What's needed is a less leaky frontdoor, and a heatsink attached to the tips of the heatpipes to improve heat-transfer to the air (I think 200C would be quite easy to achieve)

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
StBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »

Ivan

thanks. Will forward this to my colleague and hopefully something will come of it. Will get back to you if anything comes of it.

Sean

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: