navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Off Grid System Is Now Complete  (Read 14564 times)
Gadget50

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »

Very nice system i am interested in fitting a system similar to this myself but dont know where to start.
I have a grid connected system with a fronius inverter looking @ a 24 volt 1000 amp hour system and use about 5kwh per night so id use the batteries to 80% full charge.
thats as far as i got.
Help or advice will be very welcomed. confused how to go further. wackoold     
nowty

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »

To Gadget50

All depends how much you want to spend and how technical / confident you are yourself.

Example, I am an electrical engineer so I just love installing stuff and tinkering with it as an experiment and not care too much about whether its ultimately financial viable or not. However so far my demonstrated savings show that even without FITs the life cycle costs is very close to cost neutral and Id rather have solar panel / inverter manufactures have my cash than the fossil fuel hungry robbin elecy grid companies.

From April to Sept my elecy is now 90% solar, day and NIGHT !

Separate Off Grid System (like mine)
Have a system like mine where you keep your current grid tie and add a separate off grid system (additional PV, island inverter and batteries) and switch your circuits between grid during the day and off grid overnight.

Advantages : No DNO issues, no FIT provider issues, significant additional extra capacity, grid independence. Can claim extra FITs if additional PV is added via MCS installer.

Disadvantages : Expensive, complicated re-wiring of house circuits.

Hybrid System
You add batteries to be charged with excess PV energy from existing grid tie system and drip feed back at night with a small grid tie inverter to match your background usage.

Advantages : Cheaper, smaller batteries, modest increase in self usage, no complicated house circuit re-wiring.

Disadvantages : DNO issues if connecting another grid tie inverter, FIT provider issues if seen as modification of exiting system, no grid independence.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:32:37 PM by nowty » Logged

12kW+ of PV installed and 65+ MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 50+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Storage heaters of 15+ kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
6kW+ Ground source heatpump.
310,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
phoooby

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »

Can claim extra FITs if additional PV is added via MCS installer.

So if I got a bog standard 4kw tied system installed and at the same time got another 4kw system installed on an "off grid" basis supplying a few circuits (lights and single feeds to TV's and computers etc) , I could get FITs for an 8kw system ?.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 01:52:43 AM »

Hybrid System
You add batteries to be charged with excess PV energy from existing grid tie system and drip feed back at night with a small grid tie inverter to match your background usage.

Advantages : Cheaper, smaller batteries, modest increase in self usage, no complicated house circuit re-wiring.

Disadvantages : DNO issues if connecting another grid tie inverter, FIT provider issues if seen as modification of exiting system, no grid independence.

... Hmm , or instead of  a small grid tie inverter,  use  for example a Studer xtender inverter , that synchronizes with the Grid and gridtied PV  and "smart boosts" the Grid , but also can act as a stand alone off grid inverter ....

or other way round , like it is done in many off the shelf AC storage systems , monitor the incoming PV production and load needed and let the Studer xtender supply additional power needed from the battery instead of the grid

Help or advice will be very welcomed. confused how to go further. wackoold

@Gadget50

also Victron inverters (Navitron stock them ) have nice options to combine FiT harvesting PV s and battery ideas

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Whitepaper-Self-Consumption-and-Grid-independence-with-the-Victron-Energy-Storage-Hub-EN.pdf

2.3. VE Storage Hub-3
DC electrical power generated by the solar panels i
s converted to AC by a PV inverter connected to
the AC
input
of an inverter/charger.
The power from the PV inverter is supplied to the l
oad through the inverter/charger.
In case of insufficient PV power the inverter/charg
er will supply additional power from the battery, o
r
from the grid.
In case of excess PV power the inverter/charger wil
l use the excess power to recharge the battery.
Once the battery is fully charged the PV inverter w
ill supply excess power to the grid.
If the PV inverter is fitted with an anti-islanding
device according to local regulations, an anti-
islanding device is not needed.
In contrast to the Hub-1 and Hub-2 solution the PV
inverter will shut down in case of a utility power
outage. The Hub will continue to supply the load un
til the battery is discharged.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:40:44 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
clockmanFR

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:04 AM »

Well said nowty.....

"However so far my demonstrated savings show that even without FITs the life cycle costs is very close to cost neutral and Id rather have solar panel / inverter manufactures have my cash than the fossil fuel hungry robbin elecy grid companies."

I agree, we here beat the normal standard day tariff from EDF, but we still use the cheap EDF night tariff.

The thing is nowty, some how we folk that do, MUST, MUST explain to the wider public at large.
So go on nowty write a book about your set up and experiences.

Here in France even the local EDF Meter reader informed my Mrs CM that generating and using your own Electricity was illegal, as you can imagine he got short thrift.
Next year we are having a couple of open days, linked to the local BIO association stuff, and the Mrs will do a 4 page A5 explanation leaflet.

Interestingly my French teacher put together an article on our project here, with full costing's, etc, "I can not understand it CM, none of the ECo/sustainability Journals/magazines in France will publish, because they say their advertisers will be upset". 

Go on nowty get writing.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »

The big grid companies must be starting to feel a tad insecure,
                                     It does stand to sense that if enough householders with PV join together and act as one voice,they will in time be able to dictate their terms to the big companies.
 It is a little side show that people would never dream off initially but with enough power being generated, It would not be very long before someone got into the driving seat and pointed out the fact.
  One of the big advantages of PV power is that it is very much trouble free and if set up properly does not require a lot to maintain. Unlike all the power stations which needs thousands of staff,the PV owners are the staff,so costs in that respect are a big fat Zero.
  So if you are a big company director and have your own personal think tank,and are a little worried about any up and coming opposition,you would automatically look at renewable energy as opposition and do your best to erect hurdles and charges and delaying tactics designed to put people off.
 The big grid companies have shareholders to answer to, They have massive overheads, Once the PV is paid for, the PV has no overheads whatsoever. So you can see at a glance that some time in the future these big grid companies are going to have to do some serious mental footwork because the power generating side of things will be out of their hands and into the hands of PV and renewable energy people. When Offpist,s and Chris75 ventures bear fruit ,which I have no doubt they will. The whole business of supplying electricity will have changed beyond recognition.
                Some of my neighbours,,home alone basic electricity needs, no lecky shower, no lecky fire,,200euros for 2 months..is very common.
  When I think of what has been achieved in Castlebiff where the excess electricity goes into tanks and then into the rads,Our savings would be well in excess of our neighbors. We use no diesel worth talking about.This is not some kind of boasting lark but rather ,I am pointing out that we can now afford to get off grid and recoup or financial outlay a lot quicker than the original 7 years we used to say.
  In fact,I would say that we could easily recoup our 3kw PV outlay in a comfortable 3 years. Our Wind turbine will take a while longer but the PV is a no brainer..
  If I were a big grid supplier,, I would be worried.
                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
nowty

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »

The latest addition to my off grid system, its a solar ladder store building, not a ground mount, honest. stir

Also worked with a local installer to get the new panels MCS'd and FIT'd to fund future battery replacements. fingers crossed!

Interestingly the EPC for my home has risen from an E when I bought it 6 years ago to a B. ralph
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:48:20 PM by nowty » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »

The latest addition to my off grid system, its a solar ladder store building, not a ground mount, honest. stir

Also worked with a local installer to get the new panels MCS'd and FIT'd to fund future battery replacements. fingers crossed!

Interestingly the EPC for my home has risen from an E when I bought it 6 years ago to a B. ralph

So is that it 'complete' now Nowty  fingers crossed! nice one.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
nowty

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 03:01:12 PM »

Probably as I have run out of suitable places to add more panels. facepalm

And storage capacity for the excess generation. fume

camillitech

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 03:14:40 PM »

Probably as I have run out of suitable places to add more panels. facepalm

And storage capacity for the excess generation. fume

Oh, I don't know, you could probably get 500w mounted vertically under the bedroom window  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
skyewright

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 10:09:16 AM »

Did you have any additional "fun" getting an off-grid system FIT'd for a house that's on the grid?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
nowty

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »

Did you have any additional "fun" getting an off-grid system FIT'd for a house that's on the grid?

A little extra fun, my FIT provider referred the application to their "compliance dept" onpatrol, who phoned me and asked a few questions. They said there was no problem in principle with having an offgrid system attached to a house on the grid but they did say OFGEM was getting more difficult. They just needed to be sure it truly was off grid and that I wasnt cheating by simply grid tying nearly 9kw of PV without informing the DNO.

They asked how it was set up and I sent them a block diagram, plus a few photos and the contract came back for me to sign within a couple of hours. ralph

OffGrid Metering

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:33:25 PM by nowty » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »

Well done Nowty,
               You are on a winner. fingers crossed!
                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: