navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MorningStar MPPT 60A max pv watts at 24V  (Read 1501 times)
fc

« on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »

Hi there i now have 6x 220w ( 1320w)  connected to a MS MPPT60 running at 24v so the limit announced is 1600W.
I want to add another 2 panels so i will have a total of 1760W, even if this is a bit upper than the max allowed what will be the behavior will it blow up or not ?
i expect that in peak will not use more than the 1600w but that additional 160w will not damage the controller ?

in morningstar grid calculator this setup appear as valid, any one using a mppt60 with more pv watts than the max capacity ?

greenhouseparos

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »

The watts are just  wasted

2660wp array, 1000amp 24v Ops battery bank, 3500XTM Struder24v, 80amp Outback, 750w Wind Turbine, Solar powered water supply
Off Grid and loving it
fc

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:47:50 AM »

Hi there, Just to let you know the morningstar support answer :

" Hi Francisco,

Yes, you can use all 8 panels in this configuration for 1760W with the TSMPPT 60 controller.

The 1600W maximum you may have noticed in the controller datasheet (in a 24V system) is the effective limit to how much power the TSMPPT 60 will deliver to the batteries. Oversizing the array slightly (like you are doing) is not harmful to the TSMPPT and in practice will help you get more out of your system during non-peak sunlight conditions.

Regards"

thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: