navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: outback  (Read 9998 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »

Ah but you're way down South.  Wink

I like the idea, but the equivalent up here would probably need a good few extra kWp on top of that?

You are right  , and  i do intend to overrate PV  ....... whistlie

Reality  is , that PV is the only no brainer in my home  since we started  off grid .........

So a good,well setup wind turbine is a must,plus it is lovely to see them running and delivering the goods

Sure Biff , i agree ....

And we enjoy our  1 kw  windturbine   as well

Sure , like you said a  more earlier producing turbine  would make  sense , instead of one that produces a lot    on a few days per month , but we have not got the battery capacity for it , to store ...... whistlie

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
stephendv

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »

I keep reading about thin film and particularly micro-amophous panels producing better than poly in lousy weather.  This seems like a big advantage (if it's true) because it's only the cloudy weather that's a problem for a PV heavy installation.  Anyone have any real data on this?

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
camillitech

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »

The real problem for me is Jan, Feb and March and a turbine that requires lowering or nursing would be of little use for me. When was it we had the 'storm' that wrecked all the weaker turbines??? I think you may as well just go down the total PV route as have a turbine that needs nursing. Why is Billi so set on PV ?? cos it works for him and he's not had to tramp all over Ireland looking for bits of panel. Why am I so fond of wind, well it's because I've had Proven 2.5 churning out the amps through 100mph winds for seven years and slept easily. Lower it once a year for service and that's it, not 'fit and forget' like PV but as near as you'll get with any wind turbine. Sure it cost an arm and a leg and took me five years to pay for it but that's long by with now and I've never been good with or too concerned about money anyway   Roll Eyes

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »

Yo Paul,
           Your 2.5 proven must be an exceptional good one, Some years ago i did the rounds here in Donegal,I visited a few 2.5 proven owners and listened to what they had to tell me.None of it was good. In fact two of these provens were jumping up and down so badly that they had to be lowered and both were under 2 months old.Each had to wait at least 6 months to get them fixed.chips replaces the following year.
  I could not touch proven because of the way they treated their customers and then also because they were so expensive.I managed to get up and running because the chinese turbines were so reasonably priced and if you wanted to fix them there was no problem with spares. As for proven,everybody knows how difficult they were to talk to and how impossoible it was to obtain spares.Perhaps this is what finished them off.
   Proven problems might have been down to the installers but trying to talk to proven thenselves would be like getting an audience with the pope.I organised my Yang-Shen and fitted it with a 12,000 winch for lowering and raising from the very beginning.I believed that this would protect it from needless abuse during force 11s and the likes.I dont have a problem lowering it,it believe it is a sensible approach.
  I will be perfectly honest. Our turbine has long ago exceeded our expections and we have learned so much in the process.
 But i have to agree with you, Your 2.5 proven is an exceptionally good one and it might be a long time before you get one as good again.
                                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »

Paul , get PV   its  just like a smile ,.....  unbelievable   relaxed
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:31:54 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »

Aye Biff, far easier to meet the pope than actually speak to anyone at Proven  Grin However I don't think I'm unique in my good fortune with the 2.5 for there are two more of only slightly newer vintage on Rona http://www.isleofrona.com/ which is even more exposed than we are. One supplies the main house, workshop, walk in freezer/larder, and a bothy with Lister back up. The other two remote holiday cottages, again with Lister backup, both with Trace4548e inverters and 950ah 48v battery banks. In essence the exact same system as mine apart fro my hydro. Both setups having performed faultlessly (apart from what you'd expect) for four and six years respectively, well apart from a lightning strike that fried an inverter and blew the base out of a battery  Shocked

Good luck, I don't think so, I bought mine through Hugh Piggott and installed it under his guidance and assisted him doing the ones on Rona along with Bill Cowie the caretaker http://isleofronalog.wordpress.com/

That's Hugh on the pallet, he's only wee  genuflect

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/another-proven-for-rona/

The only failed Proven that I have any experience with is the 6Kw in the school playground and that was clearly 'installer error', the blade wedges having been fitted the wrong way round. Whilst it is made very clear in the installation manual which way round to fit them, it is an easy mistake to make and has I suspect been a regular cause of failures.

Definitely not idiot proof and something they rectified in later models with holes in the hub and protrusions in the wedge.

I have no idea how many of the many Proven failures that you've witnessed were due to poor installation but I suspect it was more than one.

So we have three fully functional wind/battery/diesel systems that have functioned perfectly and without drama for eighteen years between them. Quite often used by numpties so no lecturing about switching this or that on and off. All in seriously remote and harsh environments and you think its 'good luck'  Grin

Luck has nothing to do with it, it's buying the proper kit for the job and installing it correctly. OK, it's expensive but that's the price of reliability, a good nights sleep and being able to go on holiday in winter. Of course it's not as much fun but I've got all my hydro shenanigans for that and a house to build.

Cheers, Paul   

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »

whistlie still ,  the question is , what a Proven turbine  can do  for an off grid home? ........ beside that it is a beautiful and good windturbine

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 10:16:27 PM »

True Billi, fingers crossed!
          Aye,, and what use is it sitting there in a force 4 doing nothing while the chinese baby is milling away making hay. I mean you could stick up a telegraph pole and a big lump of concrete and i am sure you could sleep soundly as well but i would rather have mine working and putting the lecky into the house in more reasonable winds,,say force 2-3 and upwards. I would hate to see the breeze getting up and my very expensive proven sitting looking at me.Proven is exellent for high winds,thats what they are built for but they dont do the business in low winds.
If the did,then they would suffer overspeed like the chinese ones no matter how you set up your controller. angel
                                                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »

You have to remember Paul,
                          I am still on crutches and any excitment could send me clattering across the floor. hysteria
                                                                   Biff

camillitech

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 06:18:59 AM »

Get well soon Biff ole' buddy, we REALLY do miss your antics  Wink good job the operation has not affected your wisdom and sense of humour  Wink

Cheers, Paul

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: