navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how old is your Battery ?  (Read 3640 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: July 24, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »

Mine is 9 years old  , now  ,  during summer  . i  take ca 20 %  out each night ,

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »

Mine's seven years old Billi, hard to say what it's good for as I'm always messing about with inputs and it now supplies three properties, still pretty good I'd say. I thought it was fecked last year but that turned out to be a faulty cooker that was drawing 300w when the ovens were switched off  Shocked Certainly not as good as it was but still has identical cell voltages and SG's, I'm a bit fanatical about monitoring them  Roll Eyes

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
nowty

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »

2 months and still going strong.  hysteria

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »

Did anyone else notice the 'new battery' phenomenon, my original supplier warned me of it. He said don't build your hopes up, for you'll never ever get a charge like the first one, and he was dead right.

I installed my bank and inverter in May but didn't put the Proven up until September so for three or four months I was purely diesel/battery and that very first factory charge seemed to go on forever, at least five days before the genny came on and that included two wash loads and one tumble drier load. After that it was every two to four days depending on usage until the Proven came on line. It's hard to be accurate because now we have hydro in the mix too and the extra load of the chalet but I swear nothing ever came close to that first charge  Wink

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clivejo

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »

According the the nameplate my NiCad batteries were made in Hunt End,Redditch.

In about 1933 Batteries Ltd. was renamed Nife Batteries Ltd. and in 1947 the company moved from Hunt End to Union Street to be merged with the alkaline section of Britannia Batteries, forming a new unit named Alkaline Batteries Ltd. The names of Nife Batteries and Britannia were retained for commercial use. The company changed its name to Chloride Alcad in April, 1973. Source - http://www.alcadhistory.org.uk/redditch.html

So they would have been made between 1933-1947, making them 65 - 79 years old !!!  hysteria

Amazing what want a bit of welder charging can do  hysteria  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENmAJ2GOAMY
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:09:57 PM by clivejo » Logged

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »

what a summer   Angry , my battery sits  close to  half discharged now since days  , no wind , no sun , now rain  Tongue

Well ,voltage shows still  25 .2 V   with no draw ,  15 kwh taken out .......  , Usually  we do not take out more than 2-3 Kwh  over the night  during the 7-8 summer month  and Sun is sufficient  to supply  charge and house consumers during the day .......

My hope is /was , to reduce cycles in summer  towards a minimum ........  guess , if the summers stay like this , i have to get more PV

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »

We've had the best summer in years Billi, Stream Engine off since April, Powerspout turned off two weeks ago because the loch is drying up Cry water supply just dried up at the house but a constant north wind for the Proven  Cool Just wish I had more PV as the genny started up yesterday for the first time in yonks  Angry

Cheers, Paul

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »

My storage lake  still has about 30  kwh  stored , but  i hate to drain it  empty   Undecided   

DaveSnafu

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 01:44:43 PM »

Ex forklift batteries, had them 8-9 years now, they are down to 3 days now, used to last over a week, they have identical voltage readings, don,t bother with specific gravity, but do top up regularly.
genny last run in march, time before that was over 12 months.
2.3kw solar usually has them on float by midday.
They have been severely neglected and have run down to 22v countless times,(before the PV was installed).
The Proven controller went tits up a few years ago, and I now run it straight through bridge rectifier into batteries, needs a bit of supervision as have seen volts go to 33v before now.
All in all a bit of a bodge but it works for us.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »

("Chair scrapes back against the wall,and man stands up nervously")
          My name is Biff,
                           And i have a forklift battery bank,It was old and battered before i got it and it is in two sections,One section is a complete forklift truck with a 600ah x 72v pack,the second section is a 850ah x 48v. The two are joined together to make a 120vdc pack. Despite being two different makes and two different ah,s they have been married sucessfully now for near 5 years,Sometimes the 72v pack lies down and demands a drink of iron free brew before getting up and on with the good work.
   Ever since i got the water heater and hotwater cylinder fitted with the new immersions for the dump load,these poor abused batteries have not been allowed to drop below 140volt for a good 6 hours each day.I have no idea as to wheither they are enjoying life or getting overcooked with too much of a good time but they are doing their job remarkably well.
                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

Him upstairs Knows,!   signofcross

Me, totally lost.?  tumble

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
camillitech

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »

Wondered where you were CM  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: