navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Save Electricity with Solar Kettles  (Read 29490 times)
room101

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 06:58:14 AM »

Thanks Ivan....
Jonzjob

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »

I have just had a look at the Tefal (or T-Fal in the USA and Japan?) and it has a filter to stop clamming up in hard water areas. Quite interesting, but as we have just bought a kettle designed by Porche how quick do we want to go!!

Very interesting!!

Capcave

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 05:44:16 AM »

I bought the Tefal a little while ago. The output tempertature is not as hot as a kettle (about 95 degrees as opposed to 100) but the power savings are good (down to 0.4Kwh from 2Kwh per day for boiling water in this house). It's a bit noisy though and as I get my cup of coffee about an hour before she gets up I get a flea in the ear. Have to finish the sound insulation one day soon.
GlobalWarning

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 11:35:47 AM »

Tefal says it reaches 90 degrees, which sounds fine for all uses except tea (if you're fussy)... think I might get one of these as I can think of lots of uses, eg for a small amount of washing-up or pre-heating water to go into a saucepan (we tend to use what's left in the kettle, but people often put the kettle on specially).  I hate to run hot water through long cold pipes just to get a small amount... I quite often microwave it instead.  One thing I invented which I quite like: if you need a hot cloth for wiping work surfaces, damp it with cold water and microwave it for a few seconds.  Might be a thread-jack, but gotta be energy-efficient!

Jenny

SteveH

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 12:01:04 PM »

Just to continue the thread-hijack (sorry... Embarrassed)... I've always wondered how much more efficent the microwave is at heating water... Undecided

If it is much more efficent... Then maybe a special Kettle for it would be the better option... It would, with new materials avalible, be possible to make a Thermos style container with a none metalic reflective component to make a supper eficent boiling device for the domesti MASER (Had to get that in... laugh) All you would need is a wistle, pop-up indicator or both to let you know it was boiling... might need some thought to avoid super heating problems mind... maybe a couple of small spheres that stay inside permanantly & bob about in the water...

Sorry for the continued high-jack.... Roll Eyes

Preveli, South Crete.
GlobalWarning

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

That's an idea that's been ticking over in my brain, too, for a few years...

OnT: Several Tefal One-Cup users here http://www.hippyshopper.com/2007/08/video_review_te.html seem to be able to tell 90 degrees from 100 degrees as far as their tea-bags are concerned!  Posts about returning said appliance to vendors.... and it's noisy in use apparently.  Still tempted, though.

Thread-jacking again:  I also do the vacuum flask trick which someone else there has described.  Put the remainder of your kettle-hot water into a vacuum-pump (coffee-thing) flask and it'll do for most things.  I have two flasks; you can make tea for everyone for a complete day and (as long as you remove the tea itself, to stop it brewing) it stays good until it runs out.  To save volume you can even make it double-concentrated if you want, and then heat it in the microwave with water added. 

Oh, the lengths we go to in our quest for green....  angel Wink

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:15:46 PM by GlobalWarning » Logged
Capcave

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 03:55:30 PM »

My One cup was condemmed by her nibs within 5 minutes because the water was not hot enough to make tea (her father ran some tea plantations) and uses the kettle. It seems 90 degreees does not dissolve the oils in the tea which need to be at boiling point. Filling it up from the hot top does get the temperature up a little bit. However it seems fine for coffee and saves a load of power. It is quite noisy.
Ivan
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 03:23:54 PM »

We did some fairly extensive tests, with the Navitron Zero-emission kettle over the summer and found that most people couldn't tell the difference if (teabag) tea was made with water at 80C or higher

Ivan
Billy
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »

Wasn't it more to do with the tea leaves floating if the water wasn't boiling, in the olden days of course.  During my apprenticeship they always new when I had failed to boil the water just right.  Once brewed the pint of milk went into the kettle (large) and the tea dispensed.  It's where I developed my arm muscles.

Grin
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 12:54:59 PM »

there is apparantly a breville version that DOES boil the water! ..however is still noisy.
29.95 @ makro so vat has to be added.

called breville Hotcup

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
sunshinekid

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »

as we have the woodburner running much of the time, I bought one of these:

http://www.originalcookware.co.uk/le-crueset-16l-kone-kettle-assorted-colours-2075-p.asp

Got it for 20 quid or so as it was an ex-demo.

It's always full and I keep it on an old fire grate on top of the stove.  That way it's always pretty hot and moving it off the grate onto the top of the stove and it's boiling in a minute or so.

Now I only use the leccy kettle in the morning as I can't wait the hour or so to get up to initial temp!

If the fire's not quite hot enough to heat the water in the kettle, I bung it on the gas stove to finish it off.

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »

you often get the Kone kettle from tk maxx for around 14 if you ever ding it too badly!
 do you ever stick a coffee perc or similar on the burner?

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
alfie

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 10:16:41 PM »

Ivan,
  The link doesnt work  Huh
sjaglin

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »

Hi,

As an alternative, I use my recently acquired kelly kettle ( Kelly ) and it's great if you don't mind spending 10 minutes to boil your water.

The wood I use is all from my last  2 years of pruning my garden, I kept and dried all that wood, I knew it would come handy some days. I boil 1.5 L in the morning, make my half liter of strong black stuff and keep the rest in a thermos.

It works really well and is really fun!

I also tried to boil water in my solar oven, but it's only April and the best I did was 90 degrees, too hot to carry the pan but not quite enough to boil. bike

Stef

linux

Ivan
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »

Solar Ovens are good - and can reach very high temperatures with direct sunshine. However, the Navitron Solar Kettle idea doesn't need to be lined up with the sun (one of the problems of solar ovens). I haven't checked the temperatures, but we've been using the water from the solar kettle most days recently for making tea and for pre-heating the water for cooking dinner. If we planned ahead, we could cook many of the things in the solar kettle, but as it is, it saves about 5minutes of heating the water on the hob each night.

P.S I couldn't access your solar oven page - error read 'document contains no data'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: