navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Efforts at Internally Insulating a Cornish House  (Read 2495 times)
Other-Power

« on: August 22, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »

Hi all,

I would like to share with everyone my efforts at internally insulating my little Cornish house.

I have been able to bring down U values on the walls from around 3 to 0.3.

The work has been invasive but worth the effort, the room has been very warm when cold this summer and cooler then other parts of the house when it has been hot.

I will add a bit more on the second room to which I have done in a slightly different way.

Comments are very welcome.

http://otherpower.blogspot.co.uk/

cheers

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
wookey

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »

Nice work, well documented. Do I understand correctly that the party wall is just timber? - that seems unusual.

Wookey
Other-Power

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »

Hello Wokey,

Thanks.

You are correct the party wall is timber, its a house that was crudly split into two years back.

Not fun as next door is rented and although we get along fine they are looking to move out due to size constraints and so who knows for the new people.

Cheers

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
Gambot

It's been very windy round here recently

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »

If you need to fit fire doors etc. to flat conversions, does this also mean that the partition wall must also be fireproof?

4 kWp - 10+6 Sanyo HIT H250E01 PV - Aurora PVI 3.6 OUTD Inverter - 40 Slope - SSW 193 - Lat 51N - South Hampshire
12kW Woodburner (not installed yet)
Other-Power

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »

If you need to fit fire doors etc. to flat conversions, does this also mean that the partition wall must also be fireproof?

I would think this to be the case, But im not sure.

If you plaster board on the walls then that will be half hour, how long is a fire dorr rated for?

cheers

Jon

jonesy

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »

how long is a fire dorr rated for?
For domestic the recommendation is FD30 ie 30 minute rating.
Having been told by the installer of my wood burner, that the plasterboard behind it needed to be the fire-proof variety ie red in colour, very dense/heavy, extremely expensive, I duly installed it.  When I went to the manufacturers site for more data, it has the same 30 minute rating as ordinary plasterboard.  wackoold

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »

Jon,
     PM on the way..
                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Other-Power

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »

Just updated to include the second room.

Mainly pictures.

Thanks

Jon

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: