navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIT payable on non-domestic wind installation?  (Read 3284 times)
doryj

« on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

Hello,
Thanks for this very informative forum, which is a godsend for newbies like me.

We have planning permission for a 10 kw turbine on our land. As our house is 500 m away on a separate plot, separated by land which belongs to someone else, we are planning to feed all electricity generated into the grid, with no connection to our house. I asked Ecotricity about installing an export meter so we can benefit from FITs and export payments on all our energy generated (rather than the standard 'deemed' 50%). However they said that where there is connection to a domestic or business use FITs are not payable and we'd have to sell our energy on the open market via power supply agreement with one of the 'big 6'.

Does anyone know if this is really the case?

If we used some of our electricity in a shed on our land, would that get round the problem despite the shed being an agricultural building, not domestic?

charlieb

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure FITs apply for any generator of the right scale. Doesn't matter whether it's domestic or business (although will impact on VAT).   Don't rely on me, though; someone will be along shortly with more info I'm sure.

Incidentally, my turbine is at a holiday cottage with very little leccy use, so I'm also keen to move to an actual export meter tariff.  Looking into it with GoodEnergy, though, and I gave up they were making it so complicated.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:08:47 PM »

I'm surprised by Ecotricity's statement as I would expect them to normally be on the ball.

There is no difference between the situation you are describing and a direct grid connected solar farm, which is able to claim status as an 'eligible installation' which is really all that matters. There are no special restrictions in the FiT scheme that would prevent a direct grid connected wind turbine being eligible.

Talk to some other FiT suppliers until you find one that agrees to pay you 28p plus 50% deemed export because that is what you would be entitled to.

Volunteer moderator
doryj

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »

Thanks Ted and Charlieb, that's encouraging.

I omitted an important word in my original post. It should read "However they said that where there is NO connection to a domestic or business use FITs are not payable."

In response to your comment Ted "Talk to some other FiT suppliers until you find one that agrees to pay you 28p plus 50% deemed export because that is what you would be entitled to"  could we not get ALL our export metered and paid for, providing we can find a FIT supplier that will install an export meter ?

We are thinking of going with SSE as they will make the grid connection, are the main local supplier in Scotland, and they appear to install export meters. However, one of the SSE's conditions is:

"You must receive your electricity supply from SSE Energy Supply Ltd (trading under the brand names Scottish Hydro, Southern Electric SWALEC and Atlantic) or Equipower at the installation address". 

As a direct grid-connected turbine would not need to receive an electricity supply, does this mean they would not accept our application?

skyewright

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »

As a direct grid-connected turbine would not need to receive an electricity supply, does this mean they would not accept our application?
"I Am Not An Electrician", but surely it will be receiving a supply. How else will it have a connection to the grid to send its export out on?

Your supply/import meter will probably not be clocking up many kWh, so your electricity 'bill' may not amount to much, but is that relevant? The supply would exist and presumably you'd be happy for it to be with SSE? Smiley
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:51:49 AM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »

I had assumed you missed out the 'not'.  Smiley

The next step will be to enquire with your DNO to arrange a grid connection at the site and find out how much this will cost.

As skyewright says your system will be consuming a very small amount of electricity whenever the wind is not blowing hard enough for your system to be generating, as the inverter will be in 'standby' mode, so you will need an import meter for this. The connection and import meter gives you a standard setup which you can register with SSE if you wish and to which it will be possible to add an export meter. Most FiTs licensees are not really interested in metering export on systems smaller than 30kW, at which size it becomes mandatory.

Make sure you check out all these costs before going ahead (ideally you would have assessed all these additional costs before applying for planning).

Volunteer moderator
Other-Power

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »

Most FiTs licensees are not really interested in metering export on systems smaller than 30kW, at which size it becomes mandatory.

It is not mandatory to settle up, I have it in writing from Centrica.

If you want to settle up on systems over 30kW you need to have half hourly metering.

Cheers

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »

Not sure what you mean by 'settle up', Jon. Do you mean pay for exports?  There are only two export scenarios for >30kW FiTs systems.

1. If you want to be paid for export then the 50% deeming doesn't apply and you will need a meter which, yes, needs to be a HH one.

2. If you do not want/need to be paid for the export (perhaps because you can guarantee that all generated will be used on-site) then you are not required to have an export meter.  But if you have no export meter and then do export an amount you cannot get paid for it.

Volunteer moderator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: